Best characters against doom sentries, maggia thugs, and and hand thugs

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
I would love your thoughts on this. I find the sentries especially vexing.

Many thanks!

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Carnage, medusa, and Bl4de made sentries a non factor.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Squirrel Girl is pretty good, if you're in 3*-land. Strange, obviously, for the other two.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Hawkguy can be useful against sentries too as he generates Blue and Purple when matching enemy tiles
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strange can actually still work pretty well against Sentries in most of their Nodes here, since they're usually paired with at least one Mindless One, who will keep Flawless Flames going if you park it in the back and let the Sentries take the hits. Have to stay on top of the countdowns, but it can work. Against pure Sentries, yeah, see above.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker

Against pure Sentry nodes, powerful protect tiles can go a long way, since they basically do only match damage.

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    As stated, Medusa and Hawkguy can be the best vs sentries. But other special tile steal/buff characters are great too. Elektra, and even She-Hulk can be good. I love Ant-Man since he steals each turn. 
    Spider-Woman purple can get rid of 6 at a time, including count downs, and of course Jean Grey.

If you're in 3star land I like to use Falcon. His Redwing removes enemy specials, purple makes great protects while hitting with AoE,  and his Yellow strengthens your specials.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    4* Luke Cage is ridiculously effective against both Maggia and Hand given how many countdowns they spam. Bring Wasp/Carol/Medusa for additional shenanigans.

There aren't a ton of great options against sentries since they shake the board so much, but I do like tile steal (Ant-Man/Moonstone/Medusa) or 3* Doc Ock. Or you can just lean into the spam and bring Rhulk.
  • Yepyep
    4* Luke Cage is ridiculously effective against both Maggia and Hand given how many countdowns they spam. Bring Wasp/Carol/Medusa for additional shenanigans.

So C4ge turned out to be the answer for me. Bl4de (just champed!), C4ge, and 3Cyclops (to make red) were incredibly effective. I'd swap in Medusa, too.

The more I use C4ge, the more I learn how devastating the guy is. I've got him fully covered and I'm going to inch away at champing him; no hurry as he's plenty effective unchamped.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:

The more I use C4ge, the more I learn how devastating the guy is. I've got him fully covered and I'm going to inch away at champing him; no hurry as he's plenty effective unchamped.
    If you don't have his black at 5, you'll want to champ him and change that.  He saves *so* many health packs by getting rid of enemy specials, it's not even funny.  For a rainbow team that kills goons dead, pair him with Dr Strange and Quicksilver.

For pure Sentry fights, either stealing their stuff (Moonstone in 2-star land!) or board shake of your own is effective. But if you do have Medusa, yeah...she makes things go pretty quickly.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    For pure Sentry fights, either stealing their stuff (Moonstone in 2-star land!) or board shake of your own is effective. But if you do have Medusa, yeah...she makes things go pretty quickly.
    Nah, Sentry tiles aren't worth stealing, they're pretty weak individually; and certainly don't justify handicapping yourself with Moonstone. Elektra and Medusa (and She-Hulk I suppose) can steal the tiles AND strengthen them significantly, which might be worth it.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep said:

If you don't have his black at 5, you'll want to champ him and change that.  He saves *so* many health packs by getting rid of enemy specials, it's not even funny. 
    Fortunately, I do. 5/5/3 which is how I want him.
  • cerulean0987
    cerulean0987 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2022
    For me, I just discovered that ***Scarlet Witch 3/5/5, ***Rocket and Groot 3/5/5, and ***Black Widow 5/3/5  gives you a lot of options with minimal (if any) loss of health against Maggia- not sure of other mobs. Color priority purple>green>red>blue.  Matching team-ups can be helpful to make green matches with BW's 'deceptive tactics' ability.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,529 Chairperson of the Boards
    Before Strange was released, I always used 3* Cap to overwrite the CD tiles with his red and blue powers.
    Definitely not a fast way to play, but rarely lost any health against these non-movers.