Lull before the nerfstorm?

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
The events are relatively calm, and the upcoming ones haven't been announced.

Will the nerfs / buffs announced two months ago finally going to be pushed?

Comments

• They announced the nerfs won't be happening soon in the middle of the Iso-8 Brotherhood event.
  • I think we will get another funbalance notice before the big Spider-Nerf.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Buff to Hawkeye and Wolvie are supposed to be next
  • Kelbris wrote:
    For the record, I don't believe they said buffed. It could just as easily be the other direction (the high hard shaft, if you will).
  • Riggy wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    For the record, I don't believe they said buffed. It could just as easily be the other direction (the high hard shaft, if you will).

For the record, they didn't say they nerfed Thor or Astonishing Wolverine. It's pretty fair to say that they'll buff those two - I'm expecting them to start releasing buff/nerf pairs to undercut the complaints.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It'd be pretty hard to make these characters any worse. Hawkeye is hardly ever used by people owing mostly to the fact of his countdown heavy skills and Xforce wolvie could be two star character with the current skill set he has. Don't see what the point in nerfing these characters would serve
  • Modern Hawkeye is a reward at the predator and prey event, so there should be happening something with him pretty soon, either a buff or a tourney
  • Once Spiderman is changed their PVE scaling is ****
  • There wouldn't be a point. In fact, it would be counter-productive. Hence the reason they're likely to do it. icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness, I expect that the balancing for those characters is already sitting on their dev server in some branch of the repo. They'll probably bring in the spidey nerf at the same time as the buffs to 4* Wolvie and Hawkeye. Help to mitigate the damage while simultaneously encouraging roster diversity.
  • M.Hawkeye as he is now could be almost fun to play if he could throw out lots of cheap fast light hitting countdowns instead of his current ones which are slow, moderately expensive and hard hitting.

Bring the damage way down, start the timers at 2 turns for 7 ap
    2 covers 6 ap
    3 covers two timers
    4 covers one turn countdowns
    5 covers three timers

taking several turns to drop one countdown timer that gets destroyed = frustration
    spamming that nonsense and having low damage countdown timers all over the board = fun?
  • M.Hawkeye as he is now could be almost fun to play if he could throw out lots of cheap fast light hitting countdowns instead of his current ones which are slow, moderately expensive and hard hitting.

Bring the damage way down, start the timers at 2 turns for 7 ap
    2 covers 6 ap
    3 covers two timers
    4 covers one turn countdowns
    5 covers three timers

taking several turns to drop one countdown timer that gets destroyed = frustration
    spamming that nonsense and having low damage countdown timers all over the board = fun?

Well, to me, since what he is doing is aiming it should work kinda like the trap tiles for daredevil. Does x damage if it activates like it is suppose to. If you or the opponent destroy it with a match before then, then it does let's say 40% of x. He still shoots, the aim just isn't as accurate. Aimed for the head hit the arm sort of thing. What you said is something I thought would work great to buff countdowns (see: make more viable) for some of the other characters though. Work like Im40s yellow basically sans the self stun. Xforce could use either of those mechanics and his yellow would be far more useful (none of that 3-7 turn countdown stuff)
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I could see them doing minor buffs on ten or so other characters, just to show they were serious about the whole balancing thing.

For example, Black Panther's Yellow is weird, giving out 1 strike tile for 0-29 environment points. It should be 1 tile for 0-14, 2 for 15-29, 3 for 30-44, and so on. I put a list of possible minor buffs over at the Characters and Skills Compendium.

It's possible to do a nerf without outrage -- Venom's "Devour Entire Team" ability was nerfed. Venom hadn't been pushed heavily, and people weren't using him.

With Rags, Thor, Wolverine, they did the nerf during and immediately after major events where they were buffed required characters. Worst possible timing. I was afraid Mags would be nerfed during the Magnetic Mayhem events, and was glad he wasn't.

Right now, though... this would be an okay time. And if a lot of other characters got buffed, then I'd likely start enjoying the larger variety of teams seen.
  • There's no point to make CD tiles harder to destroy or have some kind of fringe effect for being stopped. You might as well make them not CD abilities. If there's a 50% chance to destroy a CD tile it should do at least twice the damage (and probably more, because a lot of the time it'd be overkill). Hawkeye's red should do at least 2000 damage to everyone, and blue should do 3000 damage to one guy and stun the whole team for 4 turns. That'd actually be worth it to risk it.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sorry you mentioned aiming and my mind wandered to grey suit widow's sniper rifle...the game has interesting ideas about aiming icon_e_wink.gif

I guess my mind is picturing firing several arrows, or arrows that split apart in flight or things like that. Can try to dodge one, and swat down another but can you stop *all* of them?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    abuelo wrote:
    Once Spiderman is changed their PVE scaling is tinykitty

No, it gets better. If nobody in the community can complete the missions then their levels drop until a decent section of the community can complete them.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

No, it gets better. If nobody in the community can complete the missions then their levels drop until a decent section of the community can complete them.

I hope it's the opposite way, that they reset the levels and then raise them till people can't beat them (or are intimidated into not fighting them). Having level 230s for a few days till levels come down would be a bit unfair as it would take longer for some people to get to a reasonable level than others.
  • bughunt wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

I hope it's the opposite way, that they reset the levels and then raise them till people can't beat them (or are intimidated into not fighting them). Having level 230s for a few days till levels come down would be a bit unfair as it would take longer for some people to get to a reasonable level than others.

They do start low. All my missions were in the 100-150 range on the first day of episode 4 and then after that they all stayed at 230 because everyone's beating them just fine.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

Lets hope it works that way. Im not convinced until i see it happen.
  • Phantron wrote:
    There's no point to make CD tiles harder to destroy or have some kind of fringe effect for being stopped. You might as well make them not CD abilities. If there's a 50% chance to destroy a CD tile it should do at least twice the damage (and probably more, because a lot of the time it'd be overkill). Hawkeye's red should do at least 2000 damage to everyone, and blue should do 3000 damage to one guy and stun the whole team for 4 turns. That'd actually be worth it to risk it.

We have very different definitions of the phrase "no point."

Do you think having lower damage and changing tile colors is useless? Or how about sunder...worst move ever? Molotov is probably garbage and psylocke's black might be too with this logic. I mean come on. if everything is some simple boring damage....strike tiles made....defense put up....tiles destroyed, then the game stops having variety and basically forces a power creep due to lack of ability options.

Yes, some characters SHOULD just have the same countdown tiles but more damage. The balance issue comes with finding the right split on countdown time/damage where its worth using but you also aren't just making them stun the other team for one turn and then dropping an instant win tile. That in and of itself is a reason to go down multiple roads on how countdown tiles function, because there will be a set "perfect" ratio for each rarity and if you go above or below each by too much the move is useless/broken. Just making every countdown character have tiles with the same damage and same countdown is stupid, but your logic here would necessitate it.

Heck, look at it in reverse. What if instead of cutting.it into pieces I'm40s countdown was a single tile that did 3x? Well, it would be basically the same move but with a slightly higher Rusk reward to it is all. Get a lucky spot on the board and you are golden. If not...well darn, I just did NOTHING. Slight changes are nice, give variety, and don't even change the moves too drastically. Hawkeye dropping multiple weaker.versions or doing partial damage if destroyed are good changes as much as a pure increase to damage is. The biggest difference, is that these other methods are easier to keep balanced than just a pure damage perspective.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    abuelo wrote:

Don't worry, 1* rosters will still be able to beat them. They weren't using spidey anyway icon_e_smile.gif