Pauper

Options
wickedwitch74
wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
So, I've mentioned this in a few places, but I'd like to give it a post of it's own.

Pauper...

Yes, MtG decks comprised entirely, and solely, of commons.

We have complained about drop rates.
We have complained about austerity.
We have complained about a lack of deck variety.
We have complained about Enraged being in so many events.
We have complained about the same OP cards hammering us ad nauseum.
We have complained about the steep curve for N00bs.

Since these are real issues that we're all concerned about, how about mitigating them somewhat. What do we all have lots and lots of? Commons.

How cool would it be to have a pauper event?

I believe this could easily be implemented as a sub-game within Training Grounds, and would add a new wrinkle and much richness to that maligned event.

It would give Enraged some meaning, as it would probably be a necessity to scale to the powering down of cards.

Since Development has already implemented set restrictions to deckbuilding, it should be a trivial thing to do the same thing for restricting rarity.

Is something the community would be interested in?

**Note to Brigby/Admins**

Please allow us to have a meaningful discussion of this before moving it to the suggestions forum. I'd like to know if people are interested in this idea.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    I would greatly enjoy the pauper format in this game. It would encourage players to build more tribal decks and employ synergy's instead of just spamming the same old mythics.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So much yes! I would play the hell out of a pauper event!

Been longing for some events that encouraged me to experiment with deckbuilding, but unfortunately competitive events don't really encourage that, as you just tend to go with what is most reliable to win, especially since a single loss due to using a more fun deck, could easily put you out of top 25, and in trials of the planes it gets even worse, as only the best of the best decks can compete there (compared to other events), due to the pig and olivia spam >< 
  • MustangC83
    MustangC83 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You got my vote. Anything that adds variety to this game can only be a good thing.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Moving to Suggestions & Feedback for two reasons:*
    1. Players should be browsing the Suggestions & Feedback sub-forum if they wish to engage in discussions of that variety.
    2. If the developers are specifically looking for feature suggestions, that is the sub-forum they primarily browse through. 
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, hopefully this isn't where posts come to die. I was looking to garner more discussion before seeing this moved to the suggestion bin.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is exactly where posts come to die. No one browses anything other than general discussions.

And yes. I like the idea. It could be interesting.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Please, yes. Actually anything to spice up TG is more than welcome with me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    Don't let it die here.
    @Brigby how often are the threads in this section seen by the higher-ups?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drycha said:
    I would greatly enjoy the pauper format in this game. It would encourage players to build more tribal decks and employ synergy's instead of just spamming the same old mythics.
    I think this is mostly resolved with standard. Nevertheless -  some different formats from time to time would be a cool challenge for deck building! 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Drycha
    I don't know exactly how often they view this section, however it's not uncommon to hear community feedback being discussed in meetings, so I would imagine it's frequent enough that they are able to compile significant enough quantities of information.