A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Any chance we could get this to be updated to current? I understand the problem we face with the character limit for posts, but a google doc or google sheet would work. I love this post and we have a lot of new characters (even if it's too early to judge some).

I use this as a template a lot when picking my next 4 star to champ. Obviously I should stick to the un-vaulted ones, but I prefer to champ the best ones out there regardless. I want the best characters champed, so I refer to this list when I am faced with multiple options. For instance, I have 4pun at 13 covers, coulson will be at 13 soon, c4ge is at 13, and bl4de is at 12. So according to this list, I should champ 4pun.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 said:
    Any chance we could get this to be updated to current? I understand the problem we face with the character limit for posts, but a google doc or google sheet would work. I love this post and we have a lot of new characters (even if it's too early to judge some).

I use this as a template a lot when picking my next 4 star to champ. Obviously I should stick to the un-vaulted ones, but I prefer to champ the best ones out there regardless. I want the best characters champed, so I refer to this list when I am faced with multiple options. For instance, I have 4pun at 13 covers, coulson will be at 13 soon, c4ge is at 13, and bl4de is at 12. So according to this list, I should champ 4pun.
    I will at some point, possibly over the weekend. I've just been busy and rewriting half the guide (plus rearranging the order of a whole bunch of characters) takes a lot longer than you might think.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Jarvind said:
    Crnch73 said:

I will at some point, possibly over the weekend. I've just been busy and rewriting half the guide (plus rearranging the order of a whole bunch of characters) takes a lot longer than you might think.
    @Jarvind
    I love your post and hope you can continue it going. I just read above on why there has been a delay in updating the 4* rankings. Have you ever consider writing new monthly posts? You could then link the history of the previous posts at the bottom so you (we) can keep track of the characters usefulness (+/-) the previous months/years. 
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I've enjoyed reading this post but for some reason it stops at Sam Wilson for me. I tried opening the page in IE and Chrome but it's the same. Am I missing some setting that will show the rest of the post?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    I've enjoyed reading this post but for some reason it stops at Sam Wilson for me. I tried opening the page in IE and Chrome but it's the same. Am I missing some setting that will show the rest of the post?
    Read the comments. That's all the length the forums would allow when they transferred to the new format.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't worry about it, the others aren't worth reading about. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2017
    First of all, great work on the list. Second, I think it's about time Hulkbuster is moved well away from the top of this list. He has not been anywhere near meta defining in at least six months. He was one of my first 4* champs and has seen less playtime than Starlord, MK, Medusa or several others that are way down on your list. Just my 2 cents from my own experience.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice work to keep it alive Jarvind. My only suggestion is to perhaps allow comments access on the doc (so people can provide their opinions) and perhaps add the tiers to the header/footer (a quick glance to know what tier is being referred). 
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Great list overall, well written/in-depth analysis. Personally i think Nova and Hulkbuster are due to a tier demotion. Would put Medusa and maybe MK up there. Some characters are a bit low for me but the list is mostly subjective anyway so i'm picking just one to comment, AV: Not that bad, really. Elektra, Fury, Wolverine, Riri, Ghost Rider, Fisk, Thing and couple others would be below him for me.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    You probably got Sandman's yellow wrong (it looks like it creates protects and then checks if there's 7 or more)

Though whether that's enough to put out the dumpster fire... :|
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I'm pretty glad Sandman is turning out to be lousy. I don't like roostering villains, I don't like how he looks and I'm quite happy he didn't become the Thanos of 4*.

I think Blade is a bit overrated in this list- 10 red AP doesn't come by that easily and his other abilities are pretty mediocre. Also, he spends his red with every bite, so it doesn't last forever either. I think he could be decent on offense, especially if the red is boosted, but not great in defense.

Agent Venom is awful at defense. Symbiotic assault fires for less power at 10 or 11 AP, but the AI will fire it anyway. Not to mention Military Might charges quickly and delays every other power. I use him in PVE as canon-meat, but for PVP he's worse than a 3*. Also, Military Might must be at 4 or 5 covers, otherwise, he'll prevent characters with more expensive powers, especially from the 3* range, from firing theirs.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Blade is a bit overrated in this list- 10 red AP doesn't come by that easily and his other abilities are pretty mediocre. Also, he spends his red with every bite, so it doesn't last forever either. I think he could be decent on offense, especially if the red is boosted, but not great in defense.
    9 red AP for the damage to start coming out. 10 red tiles for the strike tiles, and it's not unusual for there to be 10 red tiles on the board, giving you free strike tiles every turn. Those bring up the damage quite a bit. 9 red may end up being difficult to get sometimes, but that's an AP efficiency of about 3000 per AP every turn. No other Legendary is that efficient. He can be absolute murder on defense, even without being boosted. Have him stronger than Carol and pair them? That's a nightmare. Yeah, green is only moderate, and black is just bad, far too expensive for a power that only gets better when a condition is met, but he had to be balanced around just how strong red is.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish this wasn't on google so I could actually read it.  
  • Jarvind
    edited June 2017
    zodiac339 said:
    9 red AP for the damage to start coming out. 10 red tiles for the strike tiles, and it's not unusual for there to be 10 red tiles on the board, giving you free strike tiles every turn. Those bring up the damage quite a bit. 9 red may end up being difficult to get sometimes, but that's an AP efficiency of about 3000 per AP every turn. No other Legendary is that efficient. He can be absolute murder on defense, even without being boosted. Have him stronger than Carol and pair them? That's a nightmare. Yeah, green is only moderate, and black is just bad, far too expensive for a power that only gets better when a condition is met, but he had to be balanced around just how strong red is.
    Yep, this guy gets it.

@broll i have the document shared for public viewing so anybody should be able to read it - is this a compatibility issue of some kind?
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the update.  It helps to read about the new ones I don't have fully covered yet.  Also makes me feel better about trashing the Mordo cover in my Q.
  • aeiouous
    aeiouous Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Your list and the comments from the community heavily influence our Tier List, you're a often credit :D Thank you. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psstttt, Luke Cage (Power Man) icon is Drax :P
  • Jarvind
    Anon said:
    Psstttt, Luke Cage (Power Man) icon is Drax :P
    Derp! Fixt. I was copy-pasting the heading format to save time, thought I fixed all the mismatched icons.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Nice work (again)!

Glad to see Peggy at #1.  Although I wouldn't be surprised to see some people start pushing for Carol or Medusa to take over that spot.