I've Quit the Game and Deleted It - Here's Why

Options
MrMoustache
MrMoustache Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
@Brigby @LakeStone @Hibernum_JC @Hibernum_Will

I've deleted the game from my Android tablet and have no plans to go back. I was never a huge whale, but I definitely dropped more on this game than I care to admit (at least a few hundred over the course of almost a year...probably more, but I've just decided not to look at my credit card bills and add them up). I didn't mind though, as I was having a lot of fun. I wanted to let some of the devs (and Brigby, the one shining light on these boards) know why I left, and why that's one less revenue stream for D3 and Hibernum.

There are several reasons why I finally decided to free up the space on my tablet:

1) The move to Standard. I quickly found it very tedious to build a new deck for every node on a weekend event. I want to sit down and start playing, not spend 10 minutes before every battle building a deck. Yes, eventually I'll have built decks for the weekend, but I've spent a bunch of time doing that instead of just playing the game. And none of them save, so next weekend I have to go through the whole rigmarole again. Not to mention that the decks just didn't play how I wanted them to, and lacked in power, so it wasn't interesting or fun to play the decks.

I didn't want to overwrite my Legacy decks, as I am quite proud of them. I spent a lot of time building and perfecting those decks. Yes, I could have bought extra deck slots, for a ridiculously unreasonable price. If 200 crystals had unlocked a slot for EVERY planeswalker I owned, I would have considered that reasonable. 20 crystals per PW? Sure. Same with 45,000 runes (over 1/2 a levelled planeswalker!), that was just too much to get a single deck slot. The time wasted every event due to Standard is probably the biggest reason: I wasn't having fun playing the game, because I was too busy building weak decks, which I don't find overly fun.

2) The fact that, even after I submitted a ticket last July, none of the cards using "it's" instead of "its" were fixed, and further sets continued to use "it's" instead of "its". Magic: The Gathering is a game that prides itself on being grammatically correct, and MTGPQ cheapened that game by using "damage equal to it is power". Same goes for the use of "less" instead of "fewer". This is just indicative of the laziness of the developers: they knew there was a problem, but it would have taken a few minutes to fix, so screw that. (I'm basing my guess on how long it would take to fix on @Hibernum_JC saying in a post that it was really easy for him to fix the text on cards, and also on how long it takes to hit Ctrl-H, it's, Tab, its, click Replace All, click Save.)

3) Fewer rewards of lesser quality. Tons has been said about this, so I don't have much to add. Currency was devalued, mythic drop rates were lessened, and so the game was less exciting even when I did well. Not to mention that I'm STILL missing one uncommon from Kaladesh and one from Battle for Zendikar, both of which I needed to complete the intro decks for two of my planeswalkers.

4) The price of stuff to buy. Every week there would be a few "deals", but they started at $30 and went up from there. Microtransactions work because they're MICRO. A buck or two here is a lot easier to stomach than $50 for a planeswalker. And that buck or two is easier to stomach over and over. I'm far more likely to throw $50/month at the game if it doesn't feel like such a punch to the wallet at one time. The few times you put things up for a reasonable price (like the 15 crystal Uncommons), you did it so poorly (picking weak Uncommons instead of staples) that of course it didn't generate a profit. It was doomed to fail before it was ever uploaded.

5) Temmet. Seriously, tinykitty that "challenge".

I could go on, but suffice it to say I lost interest due to a perception of laziness and greed from the developers, coupled with a change of focus in the game from playing matches to building decks. I went from having fun every weekend to finding something else to do.

I look forward to recovering a decent chunk of money every month, which will likely go towards buying physical cards that retain their value, and that I can have fun with however I want.

RIP MTGPQ. You were a fun game once.

Comments

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agree with points 1 and 3. 
    Sorry to have you go. Hope you find a rewarding way to fill your weekends.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    Pretty much the same reasons I stopped playing again. I keep checking the boards in the hope that they improve things though. I do want the game to be good and I do want to come back but only because of all the money I've wasted on the game over time.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I definitely sympathize, but I don't understand why you would complain about having to build Standard decks, and then say you didn't want to overwrite your Legacy decks. Eh? Rebuild the Legacy decks in the small proportion of events that use them and cut your time in half. If you just like opening them and staring at them, then take screenshots. Having them sitting there taking up space and not being used doesn't make sense. ;)
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm of two minds about the game. First, I've played mtg in one form or another since 95. There's always a wave of unhappiness. Some of the gripes I can get behind. The rewards got smaller, and continue moving in that general direction. I remember when top 5 in events got you a mythic and a fat, pack. Now it gets you a rare and a single pack. That's a, drastic decline, and from replies I've read from their end, there are no plans of changing that. So that does truly suck and has driven a group of good, solid players away. 

I can understand the gripes about standard, but the main gripe is that people can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes before an event building a deck. Those people must not like winning. Usually in order to reach the rather goofy objectives, you have to build a new deck anyway. It is a deck building game, so I would account for that in my plans for events. I also understand that not being able to play with the cards you spent a bunch of money on sucks. That's how it works in the paper game, so I can live with it in the digital game. 

As for grammar policing.... Really? Does it make you somehow unable to read the card? But if it bothers you, it bothers you. You gotta do what works for yourself. 

The game is buggy as all get out. That I can concede. I also feel that customer service has been far from good lately, but they have delivered on the majority of promises. I really think it's going to come down to this crafting system. If the system is fair, I think things will be OK. If we have to pay 10 rares for a new pack, the game will be in trouble. They have to be aware of this. Numbers are shrinking. While I highly doubt that losing any one person in particular will ruin their day, losing thousands will. These forums are a constant storm of people pissed off about the devs being a bunch of callous greed mongers. I don't know that that's the case, though. Something is broken and they're trying to fix it. We all want instant gratification and want things to go back to the old ways. While I don't see that happening, I'm still fairly confident things will get better. Software development is not an easy or quick process. Give em some time. Or don't. We're all in the same boat, though. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options

As for grammar policing.... Really? Does it make you somehow unable to read the card? But if it bothers you, it bothers you. You gotta do what works for yourself.
    I can understand the grammar stuff.  It makes the game look unprofessional.  Not something to proudly show to a friend.  I wish they'd fix it too.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    More room for me on the leaderboard. Bye.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @MrMoustache : Thank you for laying out the reasons the game has lost you. I share most of your concerns. But I still get some fun for playing so I am not ready to delete just yet. However I stopped being a whale 6 months ago. Plenty of other places to spend money.