Platinum handicape

Options
dragonslayer
dragonslayer Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
Im a platinum player in all colors and somtimes i regret it so why: well its true that progression reward in platinum are better than others but when it comes to the top placement reward (where the real jewels are) thats another story. Platinum is very competitive (the elite) at a point when you lose a match thats it for you you are behinde top  50 or 100 sometimes and this is paralysing.
So wouldnt be better to expand the top placement rewards (ex: 1 to 5 , 6 to 50, 51 to 100) and this why you encourage players going platinum because for now its just not worth it playing silver and getting top 25 is better.

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Color mastery in general needs to be abolished as the means of placing players.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but it's not a good way of filtering players with high amounts of skill from players who don't. Additionally it fails as it pairs off players who are highly competitive and chasing the biggest challenge and greatest reward against players who simply enjoy playing with all the cards they get and end up in platinum by accident. I'm not sure what the best system is, but the one currently in place seems to not be to the advantage of many players. Also add to that the fact that there are many players who have the mindset that they must finish #1 who intentionally don't master cards so as to stay in gold ranking, and you see where it's even failing less experienced players.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally, I'd like to see them do away with the individual placement, and just incorporate those rewards into additional ribbon tiers.

Also, rather than force players to cast, say, three zombies to hit a tier, give them a point for every zombie they cast up to a limit.

I think this would allow players with smaller collections and fewer "power" cards hit more tiers and rewards, rather than see the rich getting richer, so to speak, by placing at the top in every event.

Save the competitive rewards for Coalitions, where it's a lot of fun to compete as a group.
  • exosect
    exosect Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I dread the day I will end up in platinum, and yet, with a standard rotation I eventually won't have a choice, each rotation cycles in new, unmastered cards, while cycling out the cards I was using.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tier progression is a great mechanic but should be based on placement in competitive events, not on mastery of cards.  Mastery is another great mechanic which should be encouraged and result in prizes.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is so true. Agree with both the original poster and @wickedwitch74 .

I think if progression awards were all that was, they need to be challenging so that newer players can have something to reach for. 

E.g. if we have 40 matches to play in an event, make the progression up to ~275 points or something. Newer players may not get there right away, but will then have an incentive to improve and eventually get there. And, maybe completing progression like this would be the basis of getting you to the next tier, with even harder objectives and better prizes.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So wouldnt be better to expand the top placement rewards (ex: 1 to 5 , 6 to 50, 51 to 100) and this why you encourage players going platinum because for now its just not worth it playing silver and getting top 25 is better.
    @Ohboy why don't you field this one?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Tier progression is a great mechanic but should be based on placement in competitive events, not on mastery of cards.  Mastery is another great mechanic which should be encouraged and result in prizes.
    I hadn't considered this, but I do agree with you wholeheartedly. If they gave out rewards for hitting certain milestones, similar to how they do when you manage to somehow gather all the cards needed for a prefab deck, that would be cool.
  • damonsteine
    damonsteine Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    when i first heard about color mastery, the reward was better prizes. they didn't say i am gonna be pitted with stronger decks, but i assumed i would, considering im not the only one after prizes, and since im just a grinder who has not spent a dollar here since thats for the paper version i play. 

i do get bad beatings, but with ai playing horribly at times, even with a stack of mythics, i do enjoy the wins that i get just a hit from certain defeat. 

do i want better prizes as a platinum? sure. do i find it unfair i meet better decks from whales? 

No.