*** Star-Lord (Peter Quill) ***

Options
2»

Comments

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just an observation, so far I have seen much fewer cascades with the column destruction than the random board destruction of similar numbers.  I have a sneaky suspicion if we got a mathematician to crunch the statistics you would find the random destruction results in a higher probability of a cascade than the columns but I am not going to do the math.  Not worth arguing about because the green is the one power that is cost effective and solid, cascade is always a bonus :smile:   The main point was to reiterate that the purple needs some work.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I don't know if it -needs- work, it's hardly the worst power they've ever made. It does do more, for less, than Moonstone's Black. And I think it's in a place where you might actually use it even if it wasn't your only Purple power, which can't be said for a power like Coercive Field or The Bigger They Are. Hex Bolt, even.

And you could certainly try to hold out until all of your opponent's AP pools are either 0 or, say, 5+, which might happen some percentage of the time (hopefully not when they have one bad protect tile out that you can't match away). So it'll be poorly used by the AI (what else is new)
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Amen to that, the AI will butcher the purple power.  However it just strikes me as a slightly better version of Bewilder which is too situational to be very useful you steal tiles or ap but in either case you might use it once in a match if you are lucky.  That said, the more I am playing him the better he looks, that green sparing all of your tiles is great (has anybody checked if it effects countdown tiles, I need to check that), I will take the decrease in damage for that trade off especially in the current meta of the game with tile creation.  If his yellow was reduced to 8 I could live with the purple as is, but right now he is on the slow side which is my biggest knock against him.  For the 3 star character speed is not as big of an issue but his speed will be a problem for the 5 version (not that I can test that statement out).  He is in the middle to low end of the 3 but he will have his uses and boosted I think he will be a welcome addition to many teams.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    With regard to cascade potential.  I think desteuction of colomn or rows shou have exactly the same effect with regard to cascade potential.

I might accept an argument that trule random board shake moves like juggs green are more efficient than straight line boardshake powers (new SL, BB, cyc) because they both replace some number of tiles with randomly colored new tiles AND change the spatial relationships of those tiles that remained on the board.  So if you remove a column, you swap in 8 new tiles for the 8 destroyed tiles.  But the other 56 tiles are all in exactly the same locations.  If you remove 8 random tiles from anywhere in the board, then many the remaining 56 tiles will also move to new locations as then fall down to fill empty spaces.  That might increase the number of "new neighbors"  for any given tile on the board and thereby increase the expected maches.  

Back in the day i think northernpolarity had a simulator to test the effects if different boardshake moves.  But that sort programming is way above my skill level.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You can test out the 5 star version in the loaner node and find the cascade potential is quite poor
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    (has anybody checked if it effects countdown tiles, I need to check that)

It does not affect countdown tiles (I was using him with Rocket & Groot and it spared the blue countdown).

It could be fun to use Star Lord's green with Warmachine's red active.  It's not a viable strategy, probably, but fun to mess with in trivial nodes and the like...

• Jaedenkaal
    Options
    spectator said:
    You can test out the 5 star version in the loaner node and find the cascade potential is quite poor
    That has not been my experience; I've found it to be quite good, which only proves that anecdotal evidence is not a reliable indicator of effectiveness.
  • spectator
    Options
    spectator said:
    That has not been my experience; I've found it to be quite good, which only proves that anecdotal evidence is not a reliable indicator of effectiveness.
    I ran it about 30 times, I had less than 6 cascades all up. I did not count anything under 4 matches as a cascade
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    spectator said:
    spectator said:
    I ran it about 30 times, I had less than 6 cascades all up. I did not count anything under 4 matches as a cascade
    o.O Well that's a pretty high bar. Incidentally it's another reason why I discount anecdotal evidence; we're clearly not using the word "cascade" to mean the same thing.

What moves do you (anecdotally) use that do result in 4 or more matches in a row more than 20% of the time? I don't even think I did that well with rank 5 Iron Hammer, and that destroys the entire board. Granted that was a long time ago, but still.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Got Bit of Both up to 4 covers so that it destroys 3 columns. Even though it's not enough testing yet, I do feel his cascade potential is quite good. 
    And yes, I consider a cascade being 3 matches or more. That's 9AP+ by the way. Expecting more than that would be ridiculous. 
    Not to mention, he's fun to play. 
    Try running him with Cloak & Dagger, switched so that they spam yellow on the board. SL's green was clobbering fools.
  • spectator
    Options
    spectator said:
    spectator said:
    o.O Well that's a pretty high bar. Incidentally it's another reason why I discount anecdotal evidence; we're clearly not using the word "cascade" to mean the same thing.

What moves do you (anecdotally) use that do result in 4 or more matches in a row more than 20% of the time? I don't even think I did that well with rank 5 Iron Hammer, and that destroys the entire board. Granted that was a long time ago, but still.
    Well my argument isn't for who can cause more cascades with their respective powers, it's starlord green doesn't cause enough cascades for me to rate it for the high cost attached. If you're perfectly happy with how the ability functions for you then great. Oh and incidentally I'm actually happy enough with the move at the 3 star tier it's the 5 star version that I feel is a bit lacklustre
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    So after a bit of time, have people been warming up to this Star-Lord yet?

I have, in PvE somewhat. Here's how:
    Yellow-> It can be quite good to feed green for himself, or more likely, to other green users. It does cost more than I would like at 10, but it can be a . It definitely helps to know your enemy's strongest color when planning your own team (never plan to use it vs. goons where their strongest is green for example). This move can build up green quite well, not to mention any number of colors from cascading matches. I've been running him with Thanos in trivial/easy nodes where the enemy starting health is above 'Come and Get Me' level.
    Purple-> Well this still kinda stinks usually, but in PVE, most non-tile-moving enemies only gain a few colors. Therefore, your AP steal is more targeted (a bit less random), so you can plan around which colors it may be. Of course, most goons also have cheap powers so you are still using 8 purple AP to potentially steal 2-6 AP. Now, the enemy special tile steal can be quite useful vs certain goons that make decently strong specials (Kishu smoke bomb protects, Mindless Ones, etc).
    Green-> Well this power could be stronger and have more effects, but it certainly is fun to play. I've had cascades resulting in up to 15+ AP. It seems you will likely average 6-9 AP from potential cascades though, which is still good, plus the extra damage of course. The certain benefit here, is that it keeps your teams specials unharmed - and drops them more safely to the bottom, it destroys enemy specials, and it even keeps charged tiles intact. 

Overall I think he will appeal to players who enjoy a tactical approach to game play like myself, and are less interested in cut-throat node-clearing efficiency. Still, he can be decent green feeder, board shaker, and support character in PvE.

• Rick_OShay
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    Now he's in the pool and I'm guessing more and more people will champ him now.
    Any new opinions on him so far?
    Did you see above? ha

As an update, I now have his purple up to 4 covers, where it can steal 3 enemy special tiles.
    Now SL is a pretty good partner for Patch Wolverine. Use SL yellow to create green charged tiles (and remove enemy strongest color), This will build up for Patch's Berzerker Rage very quickly. Be sure to have enough purple saved up for SL to steal back 3 of the enemy strike tiles. Bring along a good blue and black user to round out active color powers, like Hawkguy (Doom for his strong attack tiles adding to all those strikes, or Panther just cuz).
    You'll probably have enough green to quickly go Berzerk again, But, you won't have a lot of space for more green strikes bc of the green charged tiles, so this is where SL's green now hits Hard. Plus it's fun!
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does anyone know who is the 4* champ reward for 3Star-Lord ? Is it the 4Star-Lord ?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D4Ni13 said:
    Does anyone know who is the 4* champ reward for 3Star-Lord ? Is it the 4Star-Lord ?
    It is, the order is red, yellow and purple