Predator and Prey PvP Tournament - March 3rd-5th

Comments

• I've got a grand total of three IM40 covers in two colors, so I'll probably push to get something out of this. I'm thinking if I pick a relatively quiet bracket, competition is going to be a lot lighter in this than the last few, given how many people have maxed IM40s already.
  • radav
    radav Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I've got a grand total of three IM40 covers in two colors, so I'll probably push to get something out of this. I'm thinking if I pick a relatively quiet bracket, competition is going to be a lot lighter in this than the last few, given how many people have maxed IM40s already.

I hope you're right. I tried to get 3 covers out of the last tourney that offered Psylocke covers and I found that to be quite the bloodbath. After the crazy amount of time I spent playing this last PvE event it would be nice to get an easy run to top 15. I don't really need the yellow cover since I like his yellow at 3. I would take it just to level him up than respec it later, but will be happy with red + blue.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Can anyone give some pointers on a competitive PVP roster? I have been flying through the PVEs without any issues, but I can only really compete in the PVPs against the bots icon_lol.gif So I was just curious what others are using for this Tourney? It seems like just about everyone has Thor and OBW.
  • Hope this means we'll be seeing GSBW and Hulk rewards soon, need those two super badly.
  • user311 wrote:
    Can anyone give some pointers on a competitive PVP roster? I have been flying through the PVEs without any issues, but I can only really compete in the PVPs against the bots icon_lol.gif So I was just curious what others are using for this Tourney? It seems like just about everyone has Thor and OBW.

If I want maximum damage I'll be using my 95 Patch and my 95 C Mags. If I want to play a bit safer I'll swap Mags out for Spidey and just stunlock the opposition into submission. I'll then swap Mags/Spidey out for a level 70 Hulk to try and dissuade people from attacking (though he's a better scarecrow at level 100+ I think).
  • I'm liking the responses to lots of people wanting IM40 covers, I'll be playing for the progression rewards then tanking, hard. Good luck.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Hope this means we'll be seeing GSBW and Hulk rewards soon, need those two super badly.

+1
  • I jumped in this one to get the quickie rainbow boost, and I noticed...

The top 10 in my bracket have fully kitted Iron Mans (men?)

I am Irony Man
  • Mawtful wrote:
    I'd love some IM40 covers. Unfortunately, I'm lacking BP covers. Not sure how far I'll get on the loaner cover.

Experience form DD and PL tournaments show you can make t15 no problem even t45 without shielding with some decent characters for other 2. (If you tanked your mmr recently even with average team I guess.)
  • Sitting at just over 250 rating with my tank team in (Chawkeye, Bag Man, baby BP) -- come and get your points while the getting's good! I'll be playing for IM40 covers, but I'm happy to increase the pool of available points for now, as there seem to be no decent targets in my MMR bucket.

If I recognize your username from the forums, I won't retaliate when I get around to playing the tournament for reals.
  • Twysta wrote:
    I guess they thought giving the enemy 5 AP would be enough of a drawback... icon_rolleyes.gif

The downed team' relatives can use it for burial ceremopnies. Mine is 1/2/2 only with lev41, in the tournament still 3x1100 damage. Though first two games showed it's pretty hard to get those 12 blacks. Even with OBW stealing. I could use it but by that time the other team was at 9/700/700 so would down just from match + the 300 strikes in 2 turns.

Too bad my doom is also just 2/1, that looks an interesting combo.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    If I want maximum damage I'll be using my 95 Patch and my 95 C Mags. If I want to play a bit safer I'll swap Mags out for Spidey and just stunlock the opposition into submission. I'll then swap Mags/Spidey out for a level 70 Hulk to try and dissuade people from attacking (though he's a better scarecrow at level 100+ I think).

Hulk is good scarecrow if has 5 in anger. If only 2 or less the lvl70 should draw attacks really, I'd definitely prefer to attack it over most popular 85** characters.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sitting at just over 250 rating with my tank team in (Chawkeye, Bag Man, baby BP) -- come and get your points while the getting's good! I'll be playing for IM40 covers, but I'm happy to increase the pool of available points for now, as there seem to be no decent targets in my MMR bucket.

If I recognize your username from the forums, I won't retaliate when I get around to playing the tournament for reals.

If only it was that easy to get you into my queue. Every time I look my options are these insane teams I can't beat without significant stacking of power-ups & they are worth all of 11-18 points!

These PvP events always frustrated me before, but now I can't even skip to find teams worth fighting. Perhaps I'm being too hard on the game. About how many points should a fight be worth to engage for you?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Lol, not sure I can place top 75 even, too many lvl 141 teams for my inadequate MMR. Oh well mHawkeye can wait, IM 40 can wait too, hellooooo self-stunning dude.
  • My IM40 is mighty 2/1/0 so I definitely could use the prizes... But I was never enthusiastic about him and unlikely to drop ISO. So unsure whet I will do.

Previous few tournaments got t5 without problems spending 150 on 8 hour shield. Likely could do the same here with effort and only spending 75. And without shields it would be a likely top45 still, especially if I happen to play in last minutes.

Well, I think will see it as it goes icon_e_smile.gif
  • locked wrote:
    Lol, not sure I can place top 75 even, too many lvl 141 teams for my inadequate MMR. Oh well mHawkeye can wait, IM 40 can wait too, hellooooo self-stunning dude.

Tank down your mmr... The game structure is broken all the way, no shame about it. Why fight 141 teams if you can just fight thorverines? If the key is losing games, why not lose? The point loss is dampened, under 100 you lose just 0-2 (yeah, can lose 0) while gain 35 with win. Yeah, stupid but effective. Guess you lose way less effort tanking than on fighting the overlevels.
  • Top 45s are definitely attainable without shields. top 15s are far tougher: You better not be fighting at all in the last two hours.

But yeah, the game is really asking us to tank, because fighting even fights vs people that provide less than 25 points is actually counterproductive, as you will lose more in the counterattack. So if you are aiming for the top of a bracket, you better be fighting people that will want to pass on the counterattack. If anything, now that we have a skip tax, it's the loss of points that is the real problem.

The other day I was going on my merry way, in the 500 point range, when some dude with a team that had a good 40 levels more than mine, who had just started the bracket, decided to hit me. Loss of 40 points, because one dude just started late. I also got to lose 10 iso by having to skip him, because fighting back was going to be both hard and unprofitable.
  • At 500 points have my tank team in, i'll make a push for 800 later and then re-tank. Enjoy.
  • I just faced a maxed psylocke, maxed obw, and level 97 black panther. It was horrible.
  • I was a bit too hesitant and joined already. My bracket leader is already at 750pts and I'm sitting on #150 with 200 points. Although those IM40 covers do feel tempting I'm also wondering if I should just tank this tourney (and the next LRs also). My couple of best characters are at 100 and I'm seeing many groups with 141 chars. If I manage to down my 100lvl guys there's no way to compete since I still get only those high level groups. Yechhhh... good job, MMR. Hate ya. icon_evil.gif