*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Ghast wrote:
    akboyce wrote:
    This was clearly an oversight and will be changed so you get SOME benefit from 2nd cover. Will probably be a small buff but a buff none the less.

Or the first cover will be nerfed to just give two protect tiles.

That is true. Although nerfing his arguably weakest power would be kinda depressing.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ugh - I'm conflicted. Want to just dump HP on this guy as he looks to be the ideal guy to drop into Spidey's slot soon, but with ISO constraints I may just stockpile and wait for the x-force bump before making my move. Also want to see if he's offered in any tourney over the next week or so first.

Definitely regretting pushing Psylocke to 100+ as she was fun to play with buffed but wasn't really a deterrent in her tourney. I doubt we'll see BP nerfed right away - it won't be until their data indicates that there's an imbalance, and that's likely a month or two down the road.

Regardless, its probably safer to ask IceIX about whether or not BP will be seeing chances in the future. Due to the perceived rushed nature of the character (yellow giving 1 strike tile for 0-14 environmental tiles AND 1 strike tile for 15-29 environmental tiles while even draining the 15 environmental tiles as well as blue not improving at all from level 1 to level 2 just seems like poor/rushed design), I'm guessing that he should be seeing changes fairly soon...
  • I don't get the knock on blue. Yes it's weak compared to Spiderman/Magneto but they should not be the standard to measure ability against as both are downright game breaking. When maxed it's basically a 1-web tile strength Spider-sense generator and that's actually quite strong.
  • Let's face it guys. Some of us have been around long enough to know what the modus operandi of the devs are like.

Step 1: Create a new char. Make him OP.

Step 2: Offer them out as prizes. Give the players some covers, but not enough to max out the Powers.

Step 3: Wait for people to spend Hero Points to get the covers to complete their character.

Step 4: Nerf the char. Make 2 of his useless skills actually usable, while totally rendering the OP skill useless. Call this act a "balancing issue."

Step 5: Tell everyone this: No refunds.

Step 6: Do the Nelson Laugh.

nelson-muntz.jpg
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't get the knock on blue. Yes it's weak compared to Spiderman/Magneto but they should not be the standard to measure ability against as both are downright game breaking. When maxed it's basically a 1-web tile strength Spider-sense generator and that's actually quite strong.

If it made a protect tile when you used the ability I would agree it would be a very strong ability and there might be some debate about how to build him. However atm for 8 blue you get no immediate impact. Like all countdown tiles there is a big chance you will get nothing and unlike other countdown tiles the pay off for it reaching 0 is not huge. Unanswered it is annoying but it is just that an annoyance. If I am going to have a countdown tile I want it to have a huge impact when it hits 0 or do something up front like Punisher's Moli.
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    What is the GSBW sniper max damage?
  • akboyce wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't get the knock on blue. Yes it's weak compared to Spiderman/Magneto but they should not be the standard to measure ability against as both are downright game breaking. When maxed it's basically a 1-web tile strength Spider-sense generator and that's actually quite strong.

If it made a protect tile when you used the ability I would agree it would be a very strong ability and there might be some debate about how to build him. However atm for 8 blue you get no immediate impact. Like all countdown tiles there is a big chance you will get nothing and unlike other countdown tiles the pay off for it reaching 0 is not huge. Unanswered it is annoying but it is just that an annoyance. If I am going to have a countdown tile I want it to have a huge impact when it hits 0 or do something up front like Punisher's Moli.

It's pretty easy to use abilities on offense while protecting your CD tiles. The only times I can't keep on my tiles around is if i'm using Magnetic Field since it has a tendency to accidentally destroy half of the board. Even a single 100 strength protect tiles shaves more than half of all match 3 damage off and that matters a lot to everyone who isn't Patch (who I feel they'll eventually nerf his regeneration, just to be consistent with Wolverine 2*). On defense you have no guaranteeds but then the AI doesn't even know how to use ATU/Magnetic Field correctly on defense, so that's hardly anything new.
  • I'm glad OBW can steal black. Good for defense.
  • I don't get it, either. How can you let a high hit point character also have high dps at such a reasonable ap cost? Even if the drawback was supposed to be 5ap to all colors it would still be over powered. Get a few strike tiles out and you'll kill most maxed 3* characters in one use or have them so crippled a few matches would clean them up.
  • two things of note:

A) they did "rebalance" Psylocke's blue rather quickly (+2 more AP) so its not out of the realm that BP gets his treatment of the nerf bat quickly

and

B) so many people complain that in-game healing has no use. Abilities like this are EXACTLY what is needed to make them more useful.
    Sure he can murder most any 2* team when maxed level (and frankly a 3* should be able to) while most 3* teams should be able to survive the hit even if on the ropes.

So before we all go crying its OP! NERF IT, KEEEEL ITT! give it some time.
    See how it really plays out, and see where Demiurge is going with the new characters rather then ask for every damn character to be killed in the crib, then complain that we have nothing interesting.

-edit- @Phantron I hope to god you're wrong about nerfing Patches yellow since he IS a 3* and truthfully the 3's should have powerful abilities.
    I think the only reason 2* got his yellow nerfed was to allow patch to get it so that it'd still be "unique" and that it was OP for the a 2* to have. Any 3* can and will the ability to neutralize patch
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2014
    I think his 2nd cover blue may be intended to be 4 tiles, since at level 4 the limit jumps from 3 tiles to 5, totally skipping 4.
    What is the GSBW sniper max damage?

Max Level: Deals additional 3336 damage to the current target/all enemies.
    http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... (Grey_Suit)
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    two things of note:

A) they did "rebalance" Psylocke's blue rather quickly (+2 more AP) so its not out of the realm that BP gets his treatment of the nerf bat quickly

and

B) so many people complain that in-game healing has no use. Abilities like this are EXACTLY what is needed to make them more useful.
    Sure he can murder most any 2* team when maxed level (and frankly a 3* should be able to) while most 3* teams should be able to survive the hit even if on the ropes.

See how it really plays out, and see where Demiurge is going with the new characters rather then ask for every damn character to be killed in the crib, then complain that we have nothing interesting.

I am in total agreement.

Here is what I have to say to people who are crying out for a nerf.

STFU.

Some whiners QQ about every character that is actually usable, and won't be satisfied until that character gets a kick in the balls and becomes impotent.

Some characters are just simply OP.

DEAL WITH IT!
  • They need to nerf him sooner than later because the longer you wait, the more people are going to pump HP/iso into him to try to take advantage of his power and you'd have a bigger fallout when the inevitable happens.

Not sure why people thought something that generates 1-web tile strength Spider-sense protect tiles constantly is weak. Sure it can get destroyed but so can Spider-sense protect tiles. Yellow is weak but yellow has been a relatively weak color and this lets you convert yellow into something useful. I guess there are issues with how yellow/blue abilities work at the moment but they're fundamentally sound abilities. If the blue generator stays up for 5 turns, you're basically not doing any match 3 damage to the other side.
  • Totally didn't expect to see you as the first person to agree with my view..but hell i'll take it! *shakes head*

You know I almost wonder if you agreed with me just to next level and make me rethink my position icon_eek.gif
  • akboyce wrote:
    Fun observation. It calculates strongest AP to give BEFORE damage. So if you use it and it kills the person with the strongest AP color and the rest of the team cant use that color enjoy your no downside tactical nuke. Obviously there is already no downside if the whole team dies but being able to mitigate the downside even with survivors is nice.
    By strength, do you mean just straight up tile damage? If so, that will be amazing when opposite characters like BWGS whose strong colors don't coincide with her abilities. A completely no-drawback black ability for Panther.
  • 3* are supposed to be stronger than 2* but they're not supposed to be able to annihilate them. If a level 141 Punisher went against a level 85 Thor in a 1on1 (alternate who goes first every game) it'd likely still be a pretty close fight. I certainly see no reason to believe The Punisher would win more than 7 out of 10 and winning 70% is not annihilation.

For Patch's regeneration I think it's probably balanced but I'm pretty sure one day they're going to be like "How come we released a regen ability that's more powerful than the one we nerfed that was supposed to be too powerful on Wolverine 2*?" and then it'd get nerfed. From a design point of view trying to balance constant regen is just a huge pain.
  • Riggy wrote:
    akboyce wrote:
    Fun observation. It calculates strongest AP to give BEFORE damage. So if you use it and it kills the person with the strongest AP color and the rest of the team cant use that color enjoy your no downside tactical nuke. Obviously there is already no downside if the whole team dies but being able to mitigate the downside even with survivors is nice.
    By strength, do you mean just straight up tile damage? If so, that will be amazing when opposite characters like BWGS whose strong colors don't coincide with her abilities. A completely no-drawback black ability for Panther.

It's the highest tile strength of someone who is still alive before you used Rage.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    UncleSam wrote:
    I don't get it, either. How can you let a high hit point character also have high dps at such a reasonable ap cost?
    This is really my main beef with the skill. Hulk and Rags lose favourable spots as tanks when characters like Patch and Panther get the best of both worlds. Glass cannons like GSBW and Psylocke also lose favourable spots.

Right now, I think Patch+Panther is the best team. I feel they are very reminiscent of Thor+Wolvie. And we all know how that turned out.

The only thing that is preventing me from calling them OP is that SpideyMags exists. But with their upcoming balance change...
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    mechgouki wrote:
    MTGOFerret wrote:
    two things of note:

and

I am in total agreement.

Here is what I have to say to people who are crying out for a nerf.

STFU.

Some whiners QQ about every character that is actually usable, and won't be satisfied until that character gets a kick in the balls and becomes impotent.

Some characters are just simply OP.

DEAL WITH IT!

No u, u wet blanket
  • Phantron wrote:
    3* are supposed to be stronger than 2* but they're not supposed to be able to annihilate them. If a level 141 Punisher went against a level 85 Thor in a 1on1 (alternate who goes first every game) it'd likely still be a pretty close fight. I certainly see no reason to believe The Punisher would win more than 7 out of 10 and winning 70% is not annihilation.

For Patch's regeneration I think it's probably balanced but I'm pretty sure one day they're going to be like "How come we released a regen ability that's more powerful than the one we nerfed that was supposed to be too powerful on Wolverine 2*?" and then it'd get nerfed. From a design point of view trying to balance constant regen is just a huge pain.

Eh well there is where i disagree and say that a 141 SHOULD be able to annihilate a 85 (80%+ win rate) also but keep in mind you're comparing a tank vs dps in your comparison. It might be more appropriate to compare Hulk to Thor, or Punisher to wolvie and with that in mind things seem about right.

And yeah i understand where you're coming from on that end but honestly it's also a drawback in that you don't get any 3rd active ability and truthfully not the hardest thing in the world to spike him down.