Need more non-Standard Events

Options
PersonMan
PersonMan Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
I hate the new "Standard" format that limits players to Origins/Kaladesh/Amonket cards to most events.  Even though I've been playing casually for a year, I have very few powerful Mythics (and a mixed bag of Rares), and they are mostly non-Standard, so most of my Standard format decks suck, and I feel cheated that I spent real money on cards I can barely use.  I also hate having to rejigger my decks over and over again, and new Deck slots are just way too expensive.  

However, I've read that other players like it, for legitimate reasons based on their different experiences and circumstances.  

There is actually a very simple solution to this problem.  Every 24 hours, there should be at least one new Standard Event, and one new non-Standard (all cards) event.  Both events should have more reasonable rewards (I shouldn't have to play for 3-4 hours to get one booster pack and a few gems).  The Trails event should stay Standard, but needs to offer more gems as a reward for a perfect game, regardless of Tier (right now its a resource sink/trap, especially for newer low Tier players).  Training Grounds should stay non-Standard, but needs 4-ish additional reward steps added, for new players who legitimately need Runes and for casual players who just enjoy quick battles with their best decks. And every player should get one more deck slot for free for every Planeswalker, so that you can have one for each format. 

Divisive problem solved, in a way that could make almost everyone happy.  

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Almost is right--it doesn't make d3go happy.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Could use a free standard deck slot as well.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm not happy that my former pre-purchase cards have basically been relegated to "Story Mode only".

At the same time I like building and running Standard decks for current events.  The training grounds doesn't feel right at all, I'm forced to run a Koth wild deck in order to complete it quickly, given the ridiculously OP aggro decks that people run there.

I think what we need is a rotation of the themed events, and all decks for those events should be restricted to that block + Origins.

Example:

Monday - Terror in the shadows (SOI + EM + Origins only)

Wednesday - Emergency Ostriches (KLD + AER + Origins only)

Friday - Nodes of Power (Block-restricted on a rotating cycle)

Saturday - Current block / special event

Events on Monday / Wednesday would rotate.  Nodes of Power would rotate the block-restriction.

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or like I proposed a week per month with events from old sets. These could actually be also standard, but not necessary
  • Formulator
    Formulator Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Steeme said:
    The training grounds doesn't feel right at all, I'm forced to run a Koth wild deck in order to complete it quickly, given the ridiculously OP aggro decks that people run there.
    That's what pretty much killed this game for me. Platinum QB is not fun. The old QB use to be a nice break from the Platinum events, and vice versa. Now it's just monotonous and difficult at the same time.

I love the idea of different block events throughout the week/month. Standard is a cool idea but they need to actually make changes within the game to accommodate it.
    1) Change the free boosters or implement another means of pulling just standard cards.
    2) Adjust prices of cards that are borderline extinct.
    3) Change the event regulations every once and a while like you guys said.
    4) Oh, I don't know, communicate with the player-base and let us know if new PVE events are actually standard or just bugged. (I might've missed an official word on that.)
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LOL
    I want to play that Wednesday event.
    Emergency Ostriches sounds interesting.