Do you think the Free Boosters should only have cards in Standard?

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So most of the cards I've been getting in the free boosters have been Zendikar/SOI cards, and its a bit annoying for me.  Anyone else also think this is odd?  Or is it no big deal?

Do you think the Free Boosters should only have cards in Standard? 63 votes

Yes
41%
Coppertourettomatus89Gun BunnyandrewvanmarleMonkeybat0017Mangus 73ScotcampDragonSorcererSteemeChavez303YvendrosStormcrowCorn_NoodlesTweeMrMoustacheCapricorn907Thésée[Deleted User]wereotter_Daromax_ 26 votes
No
44%
majincobmadwrensjechuaVolrakkhurramEkkiasMainloop25DodecapodLUCIFERspeakupaskanswerJames13arNeroGandhijetnoctisEglyntineMachineAngelForgeifsandbutsWaschechtPhillmoore 28 votes
Who Cares?
14%
shteevmixed bagironerOminakoturaOnusCiotogLaeuftbeidirDamienFirinmahlazer 9 votes

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who Cares?
    The day I'll pull Olivia out of a free booster I'll be grateful for that!
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The day I'll pull Olivia out of a free booster I'll be grateful for that!
    which might be a day they when they'll ban SOI cards completely in every single event
  • MrMoustache
    MrMoustache Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes
    Yes. The whole point of these boosters is to get cards into the hands of players, especially new players who don't have a lot of cards. Giving new players cards they can't even use in most events is pointless, and is frustrating for those players. "Oh cool, this black spell that kills a creature is useful, I'll put it in my new L1 deck. Wait, why can't I use this card in any of the events I'm playing in?"
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes
    If they continue to leave the free boosters as "anything goes" they'll only become more and more irrelevant, standard restraints not withstanding.

During earlier releases the daily boosters were a good way to at least get commons and uncommons from a new set. But, as more sets get added to the pool, the chances of getting anything from the new set get smaller and smaller. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes
    Yes, keep it current. It makes sense and minimises dupes.
  • Twee
    Twee Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes
    2 out of 3 cards in the free boosters are always dupes for me, if not all three.  I just opened a free booster up and got a dupe ios common, and 2 dupe akh commons so, looks like dupes are the best way to level up my pw's.
  • BostonBubba
    BostonBubba Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No
    For newer players, this might be the best way to experience some of the older cards, even if only commons/uncommons.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No
    While it is frustrating to get 3 cards that you can't use in Standard, we still have PvE events in which having some of those nonStandard cards would be helpful.

My proposal is that rather than make the free booster completely random or completely having only Standard cards, make it so that, I dunno, one or two of the cards in the free booster guaranteed to be a Standard card and the other can be anything,

Or if two out of three cards are Standard cards, the last one MUST be nonStandard. It may not make sense, I know, but again as I said, since some PvE allow use of nonStandards, having guaranteed access to them should be good.
  • exosect
    exosect Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No
    My thought is that they make a second free booster category.....set up the same as the current one.....make one standard cards only and the other non standard only.....that way ppl get cards that are relevant to the current rotation but still have a chance to pull some non standard cards they don't have for the PvE events
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No
    I'd just like to see normal drop rates in that boosters...
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No
    Since it's harder to get cards from old sets, I think having them include Legacy cards is to everyone's benefit.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes
    I'd propose a compromise solution: 1 card in each free booster should be guaranteed to be from the new set, the other 2 cards can be from any set.
  • Formulator
    Formulator Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Wow this is a pretty riveting and divisive poll. How about they throw in an extra booster with just standard cards in it every day? Is that so preposterous?
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    maybe they could have a 8 hr token that can be
    redeemed against a standard free pack or an
    all sets free pack. the free pack is aimed at ftp
    players so it shouldn't affect sales by much.

HH
  • exosect
    exosect Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No
    Given the very low drop rate on the free boosters, I don't think giving a second, standard only pack a day, would effect sales at all....the whales would still spend just as much chasing those rare and mythic cards