Bad RNG

Options
JackTenrec
JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
edited May 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Like most veteran players, I have a full 2* farm.  I keep a set of active champion 2*, and sell any maxed characters when I can champion a duplicate.  Except today I had to roster a second 2* Magneto to avoid selling expiring covers.  So now I have 5/1/5 and 5/0/4 Magnetos.

<sethmeyers>REALLY?</sethmeyers>

*removed profanity - Ducky

Comments

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't remember the specifics but I had two 2* Thors that were in the same boat. It was almost to the point with red covers where I was going to have to choose between a 3rd roster slot or just selling off the extra red ones before they expired.

It worked out and now I'm back to only one 2* Thor
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its happened to me numerous times that. The latest being Bullseye where I had 5 purples sat in my queue. It took one of the purples down to just over 1 day left before I finally got one of the other covers so I didn't have to waste any of the purples. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Instead of rostering another Magneto, just champ the 11 cover one and use the extras covers for champ rewards.  That's the way I would do it.  It shouldn't take long to get those other 2 covers.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I do. It usually doesn't take that long. 2* characters aren't worth excessive roster slots, nor fretting about expiring covers.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Instead of rostering another Magneto, just champ the 11 cover one and use the extras covers for champ rewards.  That's the way I would do it.  It shouldn't take long to get those other 2 covers.
    Huh? How do want you champ him if you're still at 5/1/5?

I usually start the new one when the old one reaches lvl 130. That gives me enough time to get 13 covers on the replacement. (Althought once the old one got to 141 before i finally got the 13th cover)
  • ejm04
    ejm04 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I start the new 2* when the initial champ hits 131. This gives me a lot of room for duplicate covers, as those go to the champ. I can have 13 extra covers before the champ hits 144. I have never had to sell a 2* cover since I started this. I saw the advice in another thread, and it has worked out brilliantly for me.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Um, the point was that I had nine non-purple covers and that it was taking sufficiently long that almost half of them were expiring (i.e. they would have been gone as I'm typing this post).  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to champ a character at 11 covers when I can't get the itty-bitty feline last two color covers to subatomic pussycat drop.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ejm04 said:
    I start the new 2* when the initial champ hits 131. This gives me a lot of room for duplicate covers, as those go to the champ. I can have 13 extra covers before the champ hits 144. I have never had to sell a 2* cover since I started this. I saw the advice in another thread, and it has worked out brilliantly for me.
    I never thought of this before. I'll sell mine as soon as I have a max champ and then 1 cover to start over with. I think I'll give this a try. Thanks!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a good object lesson for 3* planning.  If you have to sell 5 2* covers or temporarily roster one, no big deal.  You'll be back on track in a month.  3*s in that position might take 6 months to a year to turn around.

I'm 25 levels away from my first max-champ.  I've started scaling back on shielding for events where I don't have a burning need for the 4* to save up HP, because I'm probably going to have a good half dozen within the next couple months that I should start before getting close to max.  I think 10 levels away is a good point to start the dupe, but some of the nightmare 2* scenarios makes me think I should pull that trigger sooner.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Um, the point was that I had nine non-purple covers and that it was taking sufficiently long that almost half of them were expiring (i.e. they would have been gone as I'm typing this post).  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to champ a character at 11 covers when I can't get the itty-bitty feline last two color covers to subatomic pussycat drop.
    I've never had that problem.  I can always fully cover the 2* before dup covers expire.  I've had some close calls in the past, but it always worked out in the end.  I suppose this mechanic works better the more covers you get per day, thus increasing your odds of fully covering before a dup expires.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just sell off dupe 2* covers. They come so often that it doesn't really matter to me. Theoretically, I could be more careful, but I don't really mind.

I'm more cautious with my 3* farm.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Calnexin said:
    This is a good object lesson for 3* planning.  If you have to sell 5 2* covers or temporarily roster one, no big deal.  You'll be back on track in a month.  3*s in that position might take 6 months to a year to turn around.

I'm 25 levels away from my first max-champ.  I've started scaling back on shielding for events where I don't have a burning need for the 4* to save up HP, because I'm probably going to have a good half dozen within the next couple months that I should start before getting close to max.  I think 10 levels away is a good point to start the dupe, but some of the nightmare 2* scenarios makes me think I should pull that trigger sooner.

Wise words IMO...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin said:

Wise words IMO...
    I start all my 3* dupes when the old one hits 266, and I've sold 2, maybe 3 3* covers.
    They come around so often (at least the non-vaulted ones) that it's not worth delaying the final champ rewards, they're way too good for that.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have been starting my 3* champ clones when the first get to 247 (the 8 cp prize), which is way too early, I know. But it's fine. I have my latest here:

NameCovers Champ Level
    Patch13261
    LCap13257
    SW13253
    R&G13251
    Mags13249
    GSBW11248
    MoStorm11245
    KK8247

DD6247
    IM404247
    LThor2247
    The Hulk1247
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Calnexin said:

Wise words IMO...
    I start all my 3* dupes when the old one hits 266, and I've sold 2, maybe 3 3* covers.
    They come around so often (at least the non-vaulted ones) that it's not worth delaying the final champ rewards, they're way too good for that.
    Same here.  My Cyclops started 5/4/0 and I'm about to champ him having only sold 1 cover.  The nice part about the 3s is that they often come in in trios of one of each color in event progression/placement and champ rewards.  It's not worth my effort to manage my roster to that level of detail just for a handful of 2* or 3* champ levels.  Worst case I just sell for 250 or 500 ISO and go about my day.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For my 2* farm, once a character hits 144, I let their covers line up in my queue until I get a proper combo of 13 or the oldest cover is about to expire.

For whatever reason on this flip, I cannot seem to get the right combo of 13 for anyone. I need either one black or yellow cover for Ms. Marvel, and have at least three or four red in my queue. I've already had to sell one Johnny Storm red, with another expiring in a few days, and like three or four beyond that; still need a green and black or two blacks. Plenty of Thor red, light on green and yellow. Wolverine covers are piling up in my queue, and I could flip him right now if I could just get three red covers. I've got (at least) five yellow and green. But I remember the last time I flipped him, I couldn't get a yellow cover to save my life. Just how it goes some times.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Almost half my queue right now is 2* Storm blue covers. I did just get another yellow, but she's still at 2/5/3. Got 9 days til the first one expires, so it should be OK.

It's happened three times with Thor, too, twice at 2* and once at 3*.

The really frustrating one was having to sell off two Peggy red covers, since she ended up at 5/2/0, and I'm not even remotely close to being able to champ any 4*.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Almost half my queue right now is 2* Storm blue covers. I did just get another yellow, but she's still at 2/5/3. Got 9 days til the first one expires, so it should be OK.

It's happened three times with Thor, too, twice at 2* and once at 3*.

The really frustrating one was having to sell off two Peggy red covers, since she ended up at 5/2/0, and I'm not even remotely close to being able to champ any 4*.
    Can I have some of those blues? My Storm sits at 5/1/5, with at least one or two yellow covers expiring. Of course, last time I was flush with blue covers for her. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wish we could trade like that. I understand why we can't, from the company's point of view, but purely from a player's point of view, it would be really handy sometimes.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    I have been starting my 3* champ clones when the first get to 247 (the 8 cp prize), which is way too early, I know. But it's fine. I have my latest here:

NameCovers Champ Level
    Patch13261
    LCap13257
    SW13253
    R&G13251
    Mags13249
    GSBW11248
    MoStorm11245
    KK8247

DD6247
    IM404247
    LThor2247
    The Hulk1247
    I've been doing the exact same thing, and I've got almost exactly the same characters. (I messed up a couple of times. Started a 3rd IM40 (sold him), and started the dupe Loki way too soon.)

NameCoversChamp Level
    LCap2nd Champ @ 196266
    Patch2nd Champ @ 185266
    BP13261
    SW13259
    IM4013258
    DD13256
    GSBW13255
    R&G13254
    Falcon13253
    Strange13250
    Cage12251