**** Agent Coulson (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) ****

Comments

• himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    mexus wrote:
    I have this dude at 1/3/4.
    If I maxed him out at this rate, would he prove useful support for my 3* teams? I guess not but I'm dying to try a new character out but don't wanna waste my ISO-8.

I don't think you need to max him out right now. His passives (speeding up CD tiles & free AP generation) are already useful at low level, not to mention his level doesn't affect their effect. I'd rather spend ISO-8 on other 4* characters with better damage output and save him for later.
  • shobi6669
    shobi6669 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Came here looking for a build poll and could not find one but maybe some got lost in the forum transition.  Just champing coulson now and just applied the covers as they came.  Now that I can re spec him is there an accepted ideal build or does he change builds for those with him champed depending on your team/strategy.  Any advice would be appreciated.
  • shobi6669
    shobi6669 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Came here looking for a build poll and could not find one but maybe some got lost in the forum transition.  Just champing coulson now and just applied the covers as they came.  Now that I can re spec him is there an accepted ideal build or does he change builds for those with him champed depending on your team/strategy.  Any advice would be appreciated.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree on 4/5/4.

Just champed him from opening my hoard, and loving him. He'll remain my favorite for bonus heros. Pairing with 4Carol and either Starlord or Medusa. So much countdown fun.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, for mixed 4*/5* play he is awesome with hawkeye.  
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    I have him about where you do as well but I love the guy.
    His purple is arguably the best tile swap in the game. This can take you from not having an available match in a certain color, to having 5 AP from the tile swap, and maybe even another 5AP from the tile you moved into another ready-match.

And of course, anyone who needs their CD to get hurried along is greatly helped - but naturally there are a lot of CD's that you want to stay on as long as possible, so this can get tricky to manage. 

I think it's easy to overlook how important/efficient it is to gather AP passively every time a CD expires. I often find myself going 'oh wow, that power is ready already?'

He's certainly better with teammates with cheaper powers, for his CD that does additional damage. But sometimes I also bring an expensive power character too since the charged-swap helps build expensive powers faster.

• himatako
    mexus said:
    Do you consider Coulson in MPQ to be:
    - Worthless?
    - OK?
    - Good?
    - One of the true essentials / demi-God / all that's holy and sacred?

I still haven't used him much (Level 193 - 11 covers - possible next champ?) but I can't seem to see his good sides when reading the skill descriptions. 
    Is he problematic to use with Wasp and Carol? I mean, you don't always want Carols countdown to reduce.
    He's actually a pretty good support for Carol & Wasp, since he will create a CD tile every time you fire a power. Both Carol and Wasp's yellow powers are cheap, so you'll get free special tile buff from those extra CD tiles he generate. 

It's true that you don't always want to reduce Carol's black CD tile, but you have a bit of a control over this. Avoid collecting TU tiles is one of them. And with Wasp as a teammate, there's a chance that his power will target Wasp's CD tile instead. And even when his power reduces Carol's CD tile, it isn't a deal breaker (at least in my experience). An option to nuke even when Carol's stunned is also nice imo. 

Adding him to the team means every time a friendly CD tile is expired, you'll get to buff special tiles AND free AP. And his purple will help you collecting AP you want or control the board so that your buffed special tiles won't be matched away. He might not be the best teammate for Carol, but the synergy is definitely there. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Do you consider Coulson in MPQ to be:
    - Worthless?
    - OK?
    - Good?
    - One of the true essentials / demi-God / all that's holy and sacred?

I still haven't used him much (Level 193 - 11 covers - possible next champ?) but I can't seem to see his good sides when reading the skill descriptions. 
    Is he problematic to use with Wasp and Carol? I mean, you don't always want Carols countdown to reduce.
    He's not a top-tier char but he's really a solid support. He has a lot going on (AP generation, AP steal, tile swap, CD reduction etc.).

He just does so many things, he can fit in a lot of team and be effective. Now, he doesnt do a whole lot of damage but thats not his role.

And he's fun to play, opens up different playstyles.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Coulson is at 148 4/5/2 but I'm already having a ton of fun using him with Hawkguy. They overlap on 2 colors but the fun is worth it. I can imagine the carnage when Coulson is champed.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Anyone have an idea of when Coulson will be in the Behemoth Burrito/Heroes for Hire rotation? I've been looking through gemepedia calendar and sneak peek threads and I don't see him coming up or in the rotation previously.  My 5/2/5 Coulson REALLY needs another purple and I have four of his covers dying on the vine so I was thinking of pulling the trigger on HfH if it's purple...
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler

I posted this in another thread about fun teams.

"It may already be posted here, but, for the current UI8 pve with a boosted st4r lord, I pair him with Coulson and Hawk5

Champed SL at 3/5/5

lvl 255 Hawk5 at 3/0/1

lvl 70 Coulson at 5/3/5

Gives you red for days, kid.

And then, SL punches for all of the damage"

• mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    mdreyer93 said:
    Anyone have an idea of when Coulson will be in the Behemoth Burrito/Heroes for Hire rotation? I've been looking through gemepedia calendar and sneak peek threads and I don't see him coming up or in the rotation previously.  My 5/2/5 Coulson REALLY needs another purple and I have four of his covers dying on the vine so I was thinking of pulling the trigger on HfH if it's purple...
    It goes by alphabetical order based on classification. We're currently at Star-Lord, so it will be at least another 16 days before Phil. By that time, some or all of your covers would have expired. You're better off just saving up 120CP to get that last purple cover, then champ him
    Thanks! I never realized that the order was based off of that.  Looking at the rotation list for Crash of the titans, which I believe uses the same criteria for rotation order, it looks like it will be at least 16 days since Coulson is in the burrito. however, i can purchase HfH for Mr. Fantastic currently, who is 6 days out, so maybe it'll only be 10 days til he's available to purchase? I'll wait and see. Not sure I could save up 120 CP any sooner than that anyway...
  • himatako
    mexus said:
    I can champ Coulson now. Should I?
    Other 4* champs I have:
    Red Hulk, Carol, Wasp, Blade, Medusa, Luke Cage.

I have a few at 12 covers; Riri, Mordo, Iron Fist... Save my ISO for any of those or champ Coulson now?

Mostly I want Cloak and Dagger but have only 8 covers ATM. Will definitely save up enough ISO for them before I get all necessary covers even if I spend my stash now.
    I'd champ him now, since he'll be a great support for your other 4* champs, especially Carol. He's more useful than Riri and Mordo for sure. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Do you play mostly PvE? He's much better there than in PvP.

I'm in the same boat with similar champs plus more, and I'll have Coulson at 3/5/5 once I get his yellow from PvE progression tomorrow. 
    He's at about level 154 right now, and I use him quite a bit already. His purple swap is the best, and his passives are fantastic. He doesn't do a lot of direct damage, but gives great support to other characters.

Since I have the Iso ready, and the only other champ candidates are Nova (4/5/4), and Elektra soon to have 13 covers. The plan is probably going to be to wait on Nova until I get his 14th cover from PvP progression in a few days. However, Coulson is doing just fine boosted (and un-champed) right now in the current PvE event, so I could still wait on champing him until cover #14 arrives. And as we all know, more dupes are sure to arrive, since I've burned around 4 blues already.
    GL!
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I champed him 2 weeks ago, but with him boosted, i've been using him a ton.  either Wasp, Starlord, Coulsen or Xforce Wolverine and Deadpool and Coulson.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine is 3/5/3 with 2 purple covers in queue. Tempted to spend 240cp to finish him off. My hawkeye could use him as a partner and it's cheaper than pulling 10 classics and hoping 2 of them are him without being purple. 
  • Rick_OShay
    mexus said:
    I focus on PVE (top 50 alliance) but also do PVP for the tokens and 10CP (but doesn't compete).
    I say we both make a common move and champ our Coulsons today. :)
    If you get an extra Nova cover soon it means you have another 2 weeks to champ him and you'll certainly collect the required IDO in 2 weeks.

I'm champing Coulson now.

I have now champed him as well. Had to follow up on our agreement!

He is super fun and as AP efficient as I had hoped.  Using him with Bl4de is excellent in PvE since they have perfect color opposites. The third can be literally anyone, usually Strange, but I've also run BlackBolt or others with great passives, or the third can be better at Black, Yellow, or Blue.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Carol/Coulson/Blade is a ridiculous trio. Only problem (and I use the word loosely) is that Carol's black power will often activate prematurely, depriving you of more free strike tiles.
  • CaptainFosco
    CaptainFosco Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Carol/Coulson/Wasp is amazing too, even with the colour overlaps.