Embalm triggering multiple times?

Options
Nathanyel
Nathanyel Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
Just playing black node in Emergency Ordinances. Turn 2 opponent casts a Sacred Cat (2/2). Turn 8 casts another Sacred Cat to reinforce (4/4). Turn 11 I destroy his Sacred Cat. All along a reinforced creature has still only counted as one creature when it dies, so the four activated Embalm gems which showed up on his turn (Turn 12) were expected, and he managed to match one—hello one Embalmed Sacred Cat (2/2). The surprise came on his next turn, Turn 14, when another 4 activated Embalm gems appeared, and he managed to match one, summoning a second Embalmed Sacred Cat to reinforce the first.

So, issue is this: Does a reinforced creature now count as multiple creatures in the Graveyard, thus triggering the creation of Embalm gems multiple times? (I know that they didn't previously count as multiples, since destroying a 15/6 Despoiler of Souls only got you back a single 5/2 Despoiler of Souls, even if you had enough mana available for it to eat.)

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They always did - look at priced amalgam and Scraphead scrounger!

• Nathanyel
    Nathanyel Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So how come Relentless Dead and Despoiler of Souls only bring back one copy of themselves, regardless of how many times they have been reinforced? Are they the bugged cards then?! (It just seems strange that some act-in-graveyard effects seem to count each reinforcement of a creature as a separate creature in the graveyard, while other act-in-graveyard effects w/same type of wording don't, instead counting the entire reinforced creature as one massive creature for the purpose of the effect.)

Not sure who I should flag for a D3Go opinion, as I'm new to the forums. Would it be @Brigby?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Relentless dead and despoiler have an ability, that triggers the moment they die, they don't actually make it to the graveyard. The others are creatures with an ability that becomes active when they land in the graveyard.

Fun fact : the copys of mentioned cards do land in the graveyard when the creature dies, but instantly comes back (not reinforced)

Just kill you returned RD after you've got it killed : it's ability will bring back the other copy as well.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've just had an ai reinforced angel of sanctions embalm
    activate at 7/8 angel and at 14/17 angel. upon breaking
    the gem the ai got a 14/17 angel but it did not trigger the
    anointed procession. anyone else get this?

HH