MPQ at Marvel.com: Gamora (Awesome Mix Volume 2)

13»

Comments

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    After rereading her Incapacitate blue stun ability, I had previously assumed the passive side would create the attack/strike tile at the beginning of the next turn.
    However, it could actually generate one immediately after you stun an enemy, much like Moon Knight and others that proc upon certain actions.
    If this is the case, you would get another special during the next turn, and then another on turn 3; so if Gamora simply stuns the final enemy, it's pretty much over if you had just 2 or 3 open purples prior.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    It might actually be after. Just thinking about the stupid symbiotes we're dealing with now, first, their CD tiles spawn special tiles, then Critical Mass buffs them if they're above the threshold.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Should I point out that Wolverine 3* green dumps 6 enemy purple strikes on the board? Always a pain, but if the enemy is stunned, less so.

--Khanwulf
  • Rick_OShay
    Khanwulf said:
    Should I point out that Wolverine 3* green dumps 6 enemy purple strikes on the board? Always a pain, but if the enemy is stunned, less so.

--Khanwulf
    This would not help G4mora's passive requiring that all purple tiles on the board be friendly special tiles.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    veny said:
    So, using Storm 3* and her black actually makes this Gamora unstoppable?
    Yeah, but you need 18 AP for that, and kill one enemy. Probably not worth it in a common match. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor

I really like her with Carol (I feel like that is said a lot around here).  Strikes to buff and continual countdown to buff them, plus the two of them cover 5/6 colors (ironically missing just a purple user).  

She might be good with Carol,  but they won't cover 5 colors, since you have no active for Green. And the overlaping on black could be problematic unless, your strongest color is Black. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know you guys think this "instant down" passive is amazing and you really want to make it work, but let's think logically about this:

1. It's going to take a lot of AP or turns to get all purple tiles to be friendly specials.  Those "resources" could be used differently to down an enemy in many other ways.  So, this passive power doesn't seem all that special.

2. Even if you get all purple tiles to be friendly specials, when the enemy team makes a match (or two) during their turn, new purple tiles could drop, thus negating the passive power.  So, this strategy may only be viable against an all goon team, unless you can stun the tile movers.

3.  Let's say you actually get this passive power to work, it then clears all those special tiles!  All that work to get them is erased and you have to start over if you want to down another enemy this way again.  This is not efficient at all.  Now if her power didn't remove the friendly specials, then I can see the value in this strategy. 

I see this passive power as a side bonus, not a main strategy to win.  If my main strategy happens to create the condition for this passive power, then great, but the negative consequence is losing all those special tiles.  So, do you really think this power is that good?

Perhaps the only viable strategies to use her passive is maybe with Thanos preventing her from "changing" the purple tiles after it fires, or using someone to remove most of the purple tiles (Quake) so that it's easier to make the remaining ones special (Star Lord). 

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    I know you guys think this "instant down" passive is amazing and you really want to make it work, but let's think logically about this:

1. It's going to take a lot of AP or turns to get all purple tiles to be friendly specials.  Those "resources" could be used differently to down an enemy in many other ways.  So, this passive power doesn't seem all that special.

2. Even if you get all purple tiles to be friendly specials, when the enemy team makes a match (or two) during their turn, new purple tiles could drop, thus negating the passive power.  So, this strategy may only be viable against an all goon team, unless you can stun the tile movers.

3.  Let's say you actually get this passive power to work, it then clears all those special tiles!  All that work to get them is erased and you have to start over if you want to down another enemy this way again.  This is not efficient at all.  Now if her power didn't remove the friendly specials, then I can see the value in this strategy. 

I see this passive power as a side bonus, not a main strategy to win.  If my main strategy happens to create the condition for this passive power, then great, but the negative consequence is losing all those special tiles.  So, do you really think this power is that good?

Perhaps the only viable strategies to use her passive is maybe with Thanos preventing her from "changing" the purple tiles after it fires, or using someone to remove most of the purple tiles (Quake) so that it's easier to make the remaining ones special (Star Lord). 

Sure. And you could have just built up 14 purple AP and dropped a super whales (once every week, or however long that takes to build up). However:

1) There are passive abilities that create friendly purple tiles, and abilities that do damage AND create friendly purple tiles. And, those friendly purple tiles also do something by themselves. So you're not "wasting" that AP

2) There's a ~38% chance that no purple tile will drop by the start of your turn, assuming 6 tiles drop (ie no match 4s and no cascades), and a ~61% chance if only 3 tiles drop (ie, the enemy team is stunned)

3) That's true, but if you downed a near full-health enemy, then even if you just fired Gamora's Black on your turn before (and now have no special tiles to show for it), you spent 9 Black AP to down -anyone-. I'd take that deal any day. 

I agree that you should not sacrifice normal game play in an attempt to make this happen 3 times in a row. But I think it's reasonable to use to finish off that final enemy who's still at full health after playing the rest of the match essentially normally, except for a slight tendency to attempt to fill purple tiles with friendly specials.

I don't recommend attempting this on an invisible character, though. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Agreed, no one i saying this is the ultimate strategy when playing new Gamora. But a lot of times, getting a certain event to happen (accomplishing a goal) within a match is a rewarding and entertaining experience, and therefore makes the character Fun to play!
    That's one reason I enjoy getting BBolt's QS Scream to go off and finish the match - even if it's a less than optimal play. Or Fury's full features of his yellow.
    This stuff isn't work, and I'm sure bbigler agrees, sometimes you need a goal to keep things fresh from the grind.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards

Ant-Man's trap tile counts as friendly (don't see why not) 

I asked, trap tiles aren't considered special tiles.  
  • Jaedenkaal

Source?

It's not that I doubt you. (I do doubt your source, I guess).

I ask because, among other reasons, Star-Lord's Green power leaves Charged tiles alone even though they are certainly not "friendly" tiles, regardless of who created them. So how a tile is defined and how a power treats it are two different things (and the power description could be different again)
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker

Source?

It's not that I doubt you. (I do doubt your source, I guess).

I ask because, among other reasons, Star-Lord's Green power leaves Charged tiles alone even though they are certainly not "friendly" tiles, regardless of who created them. So how a tile is defined and how a power treats it are two different things (and the power description could be different again)
    Directly answered by a dev over on Discord chat. It was brought up and answered specifically when discussing this interaction with Gamora.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Seconding @xKOBALTx - trap tiles aren't basic tiles but they are not considered 'special tiles' according to Anthony on Discord. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    I'm too old for Discord. They can write me a letter.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    This was linked to cover the types of tiles:  Types of Tiles
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Frank Castle also feels left out by the "only character with an instant kill" comment. 

Anyway, I suddenly regret never champing Ant-Man, because his purple is tailor-made for that passive. Other candidates include Kamala Khan (convert purples to special tiles, then convert whatever basic purples remain to green), Bullseye/Storm (just !#$%ing blanket the board in specials) or Quake (but her blue can remove special tiles, so be careful). Looks like fun, though!
    Yeah, you should feel bad never champing Ant Man. I did it on a whim back in the day and soon realised how good he is.
    When he's boosted, his purple is monsterous. He's a DoT machine.

And even when unboosted, he can make Muscles into Wimps by stealing all of their strike tiles.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    waywreth said:
    This was linked to cover the types of tiles:  Types of Tiles
    Heh
    . Hadn't considered Invisibility tiles as friends tiles. Gamora and Howard the Duck could be fun together.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    The worst part about this is the huge health boss fights are always special and this would not work on them. Not on Ultron or Thanos.
  • Jaedenkaal
    The worst part about this is the huge health boss fights are always special and this would not work on them. Not on Ultron or Thanos.
    Don't see why not; the other insta-down abilities typically work on bosses. 
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Quake for the win