*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• I'm finding his yellow really hard to evaluate so it could be much better than his blue, but I think his blue is being seriously underrated. It looks like you can choose where to put the "generation" tile, so it will be really hard to match away and will be covering you for most of the game in games that get a bit grindy, turning BP from an IM40-level tank to a Hulk-level tank.

Unless his Black does turn out to actually do 4000 damage to the entire enemy team, in which case none of your games will get grindy, ever, and his Blue is pointless
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    eidehua wrote:
    I'm thinking of running Black Panther with an ap stealer and a damage character.
    Probably OBW, so you can sort of negate the ap given to enemies from BP's black. Possibly Patch, to add damage through strike tiles.
    Not much color clash. Only Blue. I supposed getting up early protect tiles to dampen the enemy strike tiles from Patch, and then heals towards the end of the fight.

A little bit of everything in this team:
    Heals, Protects, Strike tiles, AP steal, AOE damage. Only big thing missing are attack tiles, but not much of an issue I think.

The thing about OBW is that she isn't nearly as effective without espionage+strike tile synergy going on (of which she won't on a team with BP since BP also matches black/blue0, in which case you're only taking her for her purple. Granted, her purple is pretty crazy efficient, but I'm not sure if she deserves a spot on the team based off of her purple alone, especially given her low hp being a liability on defense. I was actually thinking the hood might be good in place of her, as his blue is probably better than OBW's purple if you're looking for stealing AP. C. Mags probably brings more to the table than Hood now that I think about it, as his purple deals crazy amounts of damage as well. Punisher/BP/C. Mags sounds like a pretty crazy team on offense...
  • If the numbers/scaling on black is correct then he's completely broken. It does >20% more damage than GSBW while having 2k more health and costing 7 less AP.
    You'd need to fire 6x Punishers black to get to that number...
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    I'm thinking of MN Magneto/Dr Doom/Black Panther.

1) Hog all the purple and blue matches

2) Polarity Shift ->Technopathic Strike->Rage of the Panther

3) Profit!
  • hurcules wrote:
    I'm thinking of MN Magneto/Dr Doom/Black Panther.

1) Hog all the purple and blue matches

2) Polarity Shift ->Technopathic Strike->Rage of the Panther

3) Profit!

Any combinations of Black Panther/Doom and MN Mags/C Mags/OBW/Hood would work.
  • gamar wrote:
    Unless his Black does turn out to actually do 4000 damage to the entire enemy team, in which case none of your games will get grindy, ever, and his Blue is pointless

I doubt his AoE damage will scale that high - it's probably more likely that AP cost will go down with additional covers or that the AP given to the enemy team will reduce vs. straight damage scaling per cover.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    gamar wrote:

I doubt his AoE damage will scale that high - it's probably more likely that AP cost will go down with additional covers or that the AP given to the enemy team will reduce vs. straight damage scaling per cover.

Well weren't they moving away from ap cost reduction as upgrades? But yeah his Black may not be just straight up damage upgrades, but probably not ap cost reduction either.
  • eidehua wrote:
    gamar wrote:

Well weren't they moving away from ap cost reduction as upgrades? But yeah his Black may not be just straight up damage upgrades, but probably not ap cost reduction either.

It might be interesting if one or more of the upgrades gives you a damage boost but gives the enemy MORE ap
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    idk why this hasn't been mentioned yet but

Black Panther/GSBW/Hood

match 3 for 6 turns then BANG
    not to mention if you 141 t'challa and underlevel the other two slightly, BP will tank every single color
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Puritas wrote:

Black Panther/GSBW/Hood

not to mention if you 141 t'challa and underlevel the other two slightly, BP will tank every single color
    We have no idea of the final stats yet. Anyway the Hood-tank-least harmful member (Widow), as usual. On offense maybe, maybe.
  • locked wrote:
    Puritas wrote:

Black Panther/GSBW/Hood

We have no idea of the final stats yet. Anyway the Hood-tank-least harmful member (Widow), as usual. On offense maybe, maybe.

But assuming the order stays the same (yellow/blue/black) he would tank all except Widow would take purple.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Just snagged these from our debug build. His level scaling isn't set right at the moment (he should not have 11 Yellow damage at max level) so I don't have max stats. But here are his base level stats for each level. Note as always: This is off the debug build, he's not released yet and we may change things before he's in player hands.

9 AP - Battleplan
    Converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile for each 15 environment AP the team has, consuming the AP in the process. (min 1 tile)
    Level 2: Increase strike tile strength to 13.
    Level 3: Increase strike tile strength to 16.
    Level 4: Increase strike tile strength to 20.
    Level 5: Increase strike tile strength to 23.

8 AP - Defense Grid
    Places a Blue Countdown tile that converts a basic color tile to a strength 9 Protect tile every 2 turns. If 3 or more Protect tiles are in play, conversion is suspended.
    Level 2: Max 3 protect tiles out at a time
    Level 3: Increases Protect strength to 14.
    Level 4: Max 5 protect tiles out at a time
    Level 5: Increases Protect strength to 18.

12 AP - Rage of the Panther
    Deals 248 damage to each enemy, but the enemy team gains 5 AP in their strongest color.
    Level 2: 347 damage.
    Level 3: 446 damage.
    Level 4: 546 damage.
    Level 5: 645 damage.

7250 max health, so tanky on the level of Iron Man (Model 40)

Since Black Panther is coming out today within a few hours, I thought I should post this to remind everyone of his current powers.
  • Defense Grid actually sounds pretty okay.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Defense Grid actually sounds pretty okay.

It seems very slow on offense, but will make him extremely annoying on defense.
  • His black scales to 4922 damage to team on a max level character. I don't see how that can possibly stay the way it is for long.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    But assuming the order stays the same (yellow/blue/black) he would tank all except Widow would take purple.
    Yes, I know that he would tank. But on defense, you take out the Hood, then BP, then GSBW. That's what I meant.
  • locked wrote:
    Yes, I know that he would tank. But on defense, you take out the Hood, then BP, then GSBW. That's what I meant.

Got ya,

But it's going to be interesting to see what happens once Spidey is made more fun. Without stun lock that team is collecting ap while you kill the Hood. Then you're dealing with BP who has one of the highest health levels in the games. If BP gets his blue off (the ai can't mess it up anymore than usual with this team) that has the potential to slow you down even more.

We don't know much about BP yet but I am intrigued and I'm not sure if I've been as much so about a new character.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking 3/5/5. Yellow just seems really expensive to do no damage and maybe put one strike tile out. I like his blue it's the defensive version of punishers black. And black is too good not to max. Don't know will have to see final stars but 3/5/5 seems stronger. If you can constantly generate enviro tiles then 5/3/5. But as I see it I would go 3/5/5
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    locked wrote:

Got ya,

But it's going to be interesting to see what happens once Spidey is made more fun. Without stun lock that team is collecting ap while you kill the Hood. Then you're dealing with BP who has one of the highest health levels in the games. If BP gets his blue off (the ai can't mess it up anymore than usual with this team) that has the potential to slow you down even more.

We don't know much about BP yet but I am intrigued and I'm not sure if I've been as much so about a new character.

Once stunlock's taken out of the equation, I can see that team easily getting off a rage of the panther/sniper rifle by the time you've taken down 2 out of the three, especially considering BP's health
    And let's be honest, does anybody really want to eat 4k+ damage to their whole team
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    defense grid is a random blue countdown tile boo.