MPQ at Marvel.com: Gamora (Awesome Mix Volume 2)

Comments

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    This misconception of Kamala's ability is frustrating me. KK's purple at 5 converts SEVEN BASIC TILES OF A CHOSEN COLOR to green. She doesn't "remove purple tiles", let alone all of them. So it only works that way if you CHOOSE purple. You can just as easily convert red or blue tiles, etc. 

This article also doesn't specify any details of this countdown tile. Will it constantly refresh at 1, or is it set to expire permanently after a certain amount of turns? Makes a big difference if you're talking about pairing her with C4rol or Coulson. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    This misconception of Kamala's ability is frustrating me. KK's purple at 5 converts SEVEN BASIC TILES OF A CHOSEN COLOR to green. She doesn't "remove purple tiles", let alone all of them. So it only works that way if you CHOOSE purple. You can just as easily convert red or blue tiles, etc. 

This article also doesn't specify any details of this countdown tile. Will it constantly refresh at 1, or is it set to expire permanently after a certain amount of turns? Makes a big difference if you're talking about pairing her with C4rol or Coulson. 
    The article shows screenshots with her power descriptions. Deadly Strike is a 2 turn tile at rank 1, and does damage each turn rather than when expiring. I imagine it goes up to maybe 4 turns at rank 5, but I doubt it ever self-fortifies and it seems like a random placement, which is why 3/5/5 was recommended.
    Too bad her purple will be useless on bosses, but Stormora will probably still be a boss strategy. You're welcome for giving the team its obvious name.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017

If you choose a purple tile, KK will remove up to 8 Purple basic tiles (1 chosen plus 7 random) from the board, by converting them to Green tiles. Cascades and new tile drops notwithstanding, there will be up to 8 fewer Purple tiles on the board than there were before you fired the power.

On average there are 9.6 tiles of a given color on the board at a given time, so KK will, on average, "remove" almost all of them, and if 3-4 of them aren't basic, but are friendly Strike tiles (created by Gamora, say), it's pretty likely that, barring cascades, they'll be the only purple tiles left after the power resolves. You could easily refer to this as having "removed" the Purple tiles from the board.

You will still have to wait for the enemy to take their turn before Gamora kills them and hope no new Purple tiles drop, but that's true of pretty much all of these combos.

Player1575 said:
    I can't see elektra being too useful since she gives the enemy purple special tiles and all tiles need to be your team's for her instant kill to work.
    Oh right. Forgot about that part. >.> Well... Double Hailstorm ought to do it, then ;)
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    sounds like someone didn't do his research
  • Sykosonik
    Sykosonik Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    3* Storm is good, 3* Spidey and if someone tanks for him, 2* Bullseye could be a big help too. 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Edit: Comment removed. I use Inhuman Stretchiness purely to generate 4 and 5-matches and never even noticed that the converted tiles are only the same color as the selected one.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    3Storm will not be as efficient as G4mora herself at ensuring all purples become a special tile.

If you plan to double-cast storm's black, you would still be better off just dcasting Gamora's black instead. Simply match purples off until there are 8 or less on the board. Then cast Gamora black twice, make a simple non-purple match, and hope no others fall onto the board.
    What's the math that your move, plus the AI's turn drops no additional purple onto the board? Something close to 25%->35% of the time no purple drops in during these two turns? Certainly you can help your chances by stunning the enemies prior to all of this.

Enemy teams who's strongest color is purple are in the most danger here. Pair G4mora with new Star-Lord (his yellow can actually be pretty awesome).
    Or XFW, XFDP, 5*IM blue, Mordo blue, or anyone else like KK that can reduce the non-friendly-special purple on the board.

*Also, I do not believe that Traps will qualify as specials. But if they do, oh man.
  • zodiac339
    I hope traps count (otherwise, Ant Man is not as good a partner as he might have been). The one that will probably mess people up is web tiles. I was considering Spider Gwen as a potential partner, but while the stun from Teenage Kicks is cheap, webs that end up on purple tiles are neutral tiles rather than special tiles, so you have to find a way to get rid of them. After that, the question will be, how does locking tiles affect this passive? Do your friendly locked purple tiles count, or do they have to be unlocked to count? If they count while locked, will the passive still remove your special tiles when it activates, or does locking keep that frm happening?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Genuinely excited for Gamora.
  • Jaedenkaal
    zodiac339 said:
    I hope traps count (otherwise, Ant Man is not as good a partner as he might have been). The one that will probably mess people up is web tiles. I was considering Spider Gwen as a potential partner, but while the stun from Teenage Kicks is cheap, webs that end up on purple tiles are neutral tiles rather than special tiles, so you have to find a way to get rid of them. After that, the question will be, how does locking tiles affect this passive? Do your friendly locked purple tiles count, or do they have to be unlocked to count? If they count while locked, will the passive still remove your special tiles when it activates, or does locking keep that frm happening?
    Locked tiles are typically not counted at all for the purposes of powers that count the number of tiles that meet a given criteria, so I would expect them to not count (for or against), and not be removed or unlocked.

3Storm will not be as efficient as G4mora herself at ensuring all purples become a special tile.

If you plan to double-cast storm's black, you would still be better off just dcasting Gamora's black instead. Simply match purples off until there are 8 or less on the board. Then cast Gamora black twice, make a simple non-purple match, and hope no others fall onto the board.
    What's the math that your move, plus the AI's turn drops no additional purple onto the board? Something close to 25%->35% of the time no purple drops in during these two turns? Certainly you can help your chances by stunning the enemies prior to all of this.

Enemy teams who's strongest color is purple are in the most danger here. Pair G4mora with new Star-Lord (his yellow can actually be pretty awesome).
    Or XFW, XFDP, 5*IM blue, Mordo blue, or anyone else like KK that can reduce the non-friendly-special purple on the board.

*Also, I do not believe that Traps will qualify as specials. But if they do, oh man.
    Assuming only 3 new tiles on your turn and again on your opponent's turn I'm coming up with about a 38% chance of no new Purples. Which is ok, but not great. Definitely seems like a good plan (if you can get it to come together) to down one enemy, stun both others with Gamora's blue (or something else, I guess), which conveniently covers two more purple tiles, then make a safe match at the top and wait for the turn to come back to you. 

Bonus points if you then end the turn with Squirrel Girl so that no tiles are moved at all. Is The Bigger They Are available as a team-up?
  • Rick_OShay
    edited May 2017
    Bonus points if you then end the turn with Squirrel Girl so that no tiles are moved at all. Is The Bigger They Are available as a team-up?
    It is an available TU. And Squirrel Girl offers very complimentary colors if you actually put her on the team (am I the only fan?). Bring along a better purple user with these two, someone like St4r-Lord, who can cheapen all of your powers besides black, and the stun costs 4 blue, SL's purple to overwrite any pesky tile (even purple basics now become a CD), and then SG's yellow for 7. Beautiful!
  • Jaedenkaal
    This could be god mode against fights (wave fights, even) where the mobs don't move the board, ESPECIALLY IF:

Ant-Man's trap tile counts as friendly (don't see why not) and even more especially if: 

Pym Particles converts Purple tiles to Attack tiles before "The Deadliest Woman..." triggers.

They're both "start of turn" triggers, so pick order may help us here the same way it does for Green Goblin/recurring CD interactions. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Now what if you play 5* Thanos' Infinite Power just after Gamora fills the other purples with specials?
    She will then not be able to remove the specials, but will she down the target enemy since the passive qualifies? Then, perhaps the following enemy? O.o
  • zodiac339
    It is an available TU. And Squirrel Girl offers very complimentary colors if you actually put her on the team (am I the only fan?). Bring along a better purple user with these two, someone like St4r-Lord, who can cheapen all of your powers besides black, and the stun costs 4 blue, SL's purple to overwrite any pesky tile (even purple basics now become a CD), and then SG's yellow for 7. Beautiful!
    I like Squirrel Girl's purple. Too bad she won't be boosted. We have to expect there will be a bunch of special tiles to deal with, at least with the Gamora PVP, so you'd get her Nuts to get pretty big damage going. Pretty easy to max her damage with a Carnage. Just too bad she's stuck at 3* tier.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do charged tiles count as specials?  If so, then SS' might be useful (though perhaps not even as useful as gamora's own).  

If they do not count as friendly, but are counted against the power, then anyone who makes purple specials could effectively disable gamora's black passive.
  • Rick_OShay
    Vhailorx said:
    Do charged tiles count as specials?  If so, then SS' might be useful (though perhaps not even as useful as gamora's own).  

If they do not count as friendly, but are counted against the power, then anyone who makes purple specials could effectively disable gamora's black passive.
    I believe Special tiles implies they have ownership by one team or the other. Therefore neutral tiles like charged, fortified, and web tiles are not 'special' tiles. 
    The only special tiles are Countdown, Strike, Attack, Protect, and Invisibility. I believe Trap tiles are not 'special' tiles, but we need definition here. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited May 2017
    Vhailorx said:

I believe Special tiles implies they have ownership by one team or the other. Therefore neutral tiles like charged, fortified, and web tiles are not 'special' tiles. 
    The only special tiles are Countdown, Strike, Attack, Protect, and Invisibility. I believe Trap tiles are not 'special' tiles, but we need definition here. 
    I agree that your breakdown is probably the dev intent.  But there have been bugs associated with hidden ownership assignments to charged and web tiles in the past.  So we will have to see.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    I imagine D3 is now freaking out with coding changes as we just threw out all these scenarios and questions regarding all the in game situations that will need to be thought out. 

Here's another. Does Gamora's check on her power trigger before Ant Man's? If so, not so great because he won't fill purple tiles before. If after, super great. It's probably the latter. Not sure if his trap tile happening first would end up over powered or not.
  • Vhailorx
    edited May 2017
    Killians8 said:
    I imagine D3 is now freaking out with coding changes as we just threw out all these scenarios and questions regarding all the in game situations that will need to be thought out. 

Here's another. Does Gamora's check on her power trigger before Ant Man's? If so, not so great because he won't fill purple tiles before. If after, super great. It's probably the latter. Not sure if his trap tile happening first would end up over powered or not.
    This one should be easy.  I think passive powers proc in order of color priority.  Take patch or oml + daken and see when their healing passives proc.  I think it happens based on their position in the team selection page (so middle, then left, then right).  4*gamora should probably be played in the right hand land wherever possible.