v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Volrak said:

I began polite and decent, I used constructive criticism, asked appropriate questions.
    But I don't see any reason to remain so, since the reaction - yeah.. Let's say it follows the same pattern as always. I'm not used to ignore incompetence, and I still hope that the situation changes. It is nothing special to escalate higher, when the situation gets worse, but.. What would be your recommendation, @james13? And I really am interested in your opinion!
    Although you asked for james13's recommendation and not anyone else's, I hope you don't mind if I chip in.

I would start with a hard truth: JC doesn't see it as his job to regularly communicate on these forums.  And we can't change it, no matter how much good we can see flowing into the game from such a change in policy.

What it means is that when JC and other devs find themselves with the opportunity to post on the forums, then whether they turn opportunity into action depends on one thing: whether they feel like it.

And THAT means that every time a player piles on the negativity on the game in general, but especially on the devs personally, you can feel fairly sure that they will come here less, because, like any human, it will make them feel less like coming here.

Don't get me wrong, there are things to be negative about.  And if you think it's more important to have the freedom to vent in a public place than to see the communication environment of this game flourish, then you can totally let your negativity run wild, and feel 100% justified doing so.  But given the way D3 runs its communication, complaining that the devs don't talk to us while at the same time making the forums an incredibly unappealing environment for them to engage in is IMO a pretty self-defeating stance.

Well said, Volrak. I remember saying something similar when RatC first came out and people jumped on JC and interpreted everything he said in the worst possible light.  As someone who works in customer service, I have a lot of issues with the way things are done--but I also know that if I'm explaining something to someone, and they act like complete tinykitties, then at some I'm going to shut down the conversation for good. 

We all love the game. We all have issues. We're a passionate community. Those are all positives--but attack the issues, not the person.

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very good point @madwren. I'll re-evaluate some things I've said keeping that in mind. Also for further comments of course. Customer service can be brutal!

But still, answers have been promised but not delivered, and the discussion was very interesting until responses stopped. It was dead before this discussion began.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very good point @madwren. I'll re-evaluate some things I've said keeping that in mind. Also for further comments of course. Customer service can be brutal!

But still, answers have been promised but not delivered, and the discussion was very interesting until responses stopped. It was dead before this discussion began.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the onus is on them to show that when they say they're going to increase communication, that they actually do. I think that if we could dial back the overt hostility a bit, and they could actually follow-through on their promises for more communication, then both sides would be a lot happier and we'd have a much more positive community.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited May 2017
    That's what I understood, and what I meant with re-evaluate. I won't stop complaining about these issues of course, but the how will change, since in the very end we're all on the same side, including the devs. To return to topic.. I'm still thinking about unanswered questions, but I'm confident that the general mood will lift when we finally have new content and coalition events!

Edit :.
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I was able to get answers for the second round of questions I sent over to the developers. You can find them below:

Will players' Color Mastery ranks be affected when certain cards become restricted from PvP?
    It will remain as it is right now, but there are plans to adjust it as we go along to fit more within our restrictions

What happens when you get to the end of your 40 card deck?
    40 new cards are generated in your library, as if you just started the game.

How does fetching the next X cards from your deck work if you go past the end of the deck?
    It generates a new 40 card library, then fetches from it. So yes, anything that draws a specific card can draw infinite copies of said card.

What about destroying cards out of your deck (i.e. Gather the Pack?)
    Again, it generates a new 40 card library, then destroys the specified cards.

What is the point of Aven Mindcensor / Compelling Argument?
    The point is removing current options from your opponent until they recreate a deck. When a deck is created, it makes 4 copies of each card, so destroying/exiling the next one essentially removes that option until they either cycle through their entire deck or forcefully fetch that card type and none others exist. The other point is Exiling moves them to Exile, from where none of the Graveyard abilities work, such as Embalm. If you exile a creature with Embalm, for example, it cannot trigger it's embalm ability.

Are there any UI plans to allow players to view their Graveyard and/or Exile stack?
    Not at the moment.

When will players that won the deck-building contest get to see their names tied in-game to their respective Theme decks?
    I unfortunately do not have a specific date - it will be coming, but the problem is timing at this point.

Will any other Masterpieces be buffed? (For example, Lightning Greaves)
    It's possible, but at the moment there are no plans for that.

What can players expect for PvP rewards when the weekly events are adjusted?
    (Editor's Note: This is a lot of information to display, considering the 4 different tiers, and the number of events adjusted. There will be some information available in the Release Notes, however for more specific details, please reach out to me personally. Thanks!)

Since there are new informations concerning our questions in another thread, I just leave this here! Thanks to Brigby!
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Well to use an analogy to comment on the communication situation, imagine there's a restaurant you like to go to and striking up conversations with the employees there is something you enjoy. Every once in a while one of the chefs comes out to talk to people and tell them some insights into the dishes served at the place and what not.

Then imagine the food quality drops, and now whenever the chef comes out to talk to people he gets complaints and insinuations that he isn't a competent chef, demands to get the head chef out or restaurant owner out to answer to the diners, and people hounding him to make promises which he cannot fulfill because he's just a chef.

Whether or not you as a diner think that is true, and whether or not your feedback is actually as constructive as you think it is, do you think the chef would want to come out to talk to guests anymore?

There's a matter of utilising some tact in getting one's message across. This forum usually borders more along the spectrum of passive-aggressiveness to full-scale aggression than anything resembling tact. There are valid and invalid reasons used to justify the behaviour. But whether or not one feels validated in their aggression, the fact is that the forums have not been welcoming to the devs for a long time.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Your post would be valid, if the chef opened a separate room especially for the communication with the customers..
    But even I agree, that too much meta communication is happening right now, and I can see my role in it as well.

More important :

New update!
    From the first trys: I like it. The new Planeswalkers feel good, and the mechanics seem to work flawless.. Way better than expected. Also the design is refreshing
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Just to add to your analogy. Chefs comes saying he enjoy conversation and pass your comments to the cook. But then he goes to his office and do not respond to calls or emails. After few days of silence he make an announcement that he bought new plates and everything will be better, afterwards he dissappear. 

Time to time he crawl from his office showing some interests in people thoughts. He says that the menu offered so far will be cut to only few dishes to make meals equally enjoyable by new and old customers. And then he goes back to the office...

How's the analogy now?

BTW to keep on the topic. When we can expect rollout?  edit: forget the question ;)
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Szamsziel said:

BTW to keep on the topic. When we can expect rollout?  
    A little while ago...?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Updated to Final Release Notes
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    As stated in the patch notes, card sequencing (the stack) has changed. While this is beneficial in some instances, it is not quite correct in others.

Mirrorpool change (spells are either filled or creatures reinforced correctly) = Good!
    First Strke change (first strike creatures take damage on outright kill) = Bad!
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Olivia seems to buff twice.  

Discards one card, +lifelink, +flying, +3/3, +3/3.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    OH GOD WHY IS FIRF STILL AN EVENT PLEASE KILL IT WITH FIRE!
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Does prevent damage now protect from kill spells?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Why do the release notes have the tag "Abuse"???
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    As stated in the patch notes, card sequencing (the stack) has changed. While this is beneficial in some instances, it is not quite correct in others.

Mirrorpool change (spells are either filled or creatures reinforced correctly) = Good!
    First Strke change (first strike creatures take damage on outright kill) = Bad!

Ran into the 1st strike bug today, had to go back and look through the battle log trying to piece together why my 1st striker was dead.

According to the battle log 1st strike damage was correctly applied and the AI creature had zero health.  However the zero health creature then dealt damage to my 1st striker.  If the battle log is correct the flaw lies in not checking if 1st strike dealt lethal damage before preceding to the next damage stage.

• Brigby
    Hi Everyone. The team is aware of some of the issues players are experiencing, such as the previously mentioned First Strike bug.

Please keep an eye out in the Bugs & Technical Issues sub-forum for updates or for submitting new issues. Thanks!
  • Brigby
    *Updated Trial of Ambition event description to display the correct Top 2 Coalition rewards
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby i also noticed animist's awakening doesn't work anymore. If you have 8 green gems it converts the 5 gems up front, but it doesn't create the activate 1 gem it is supposed to
  • Brigby
    Hi @Thuran . Thanks for the feedback! There are several threads in the Bugs & Technical Issues section that have reported this, and I have already passed it along to the developers.

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Still wondering why the release notes are tagged with Abuse...