v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    wereotter said:
    I have 'aerial volley' and 'the great aurora' as origins direct removals.  Are there more?
    Indirect would be 'aim high' and 'wild instincts', which I find to costly to be really of use. But I would be surprised if any origins card gets balanced in the realease of 2.1. 
    Besides, was there ever a card that was buffed in MTGPQ? I have only seen nerfes so far. And these also way to rarely...
    Green doesn't do direct creature removal. It's not part of its color philosophy. In paper magic green relies on having the biggest creatures on the field and effects to make them take out opponent creatures.

To fix this here: green creatures with reach need to be large enough bodies to pose a real threat to enemy attackers. Highspire Artisan, for example, was a complete failure being an expensive 1/3 with reach.

Green needs more creatures that natively have berserker. This is a keyword unique to Puzzle Quest and so it can be added to any large, scary creature.

On a related note, there needs to not be a defender/reach/berserker tax on the cost of green creatures. This is how the color does creature removal, and so it needs to not be punished for doing so.

Lastly, D3 needs to not immediately dismiss common rarity cards from small blocks. Bump color staples from these sets to uncommon if need be so they can be added to the game. Prey Upon from Eldritch Moon should have been in the game this entire time, but I assume was skipped due to being printed at common rarity. Worse part is that Prey Upon was also in Aether Revolt, but again a common. So skipped again.

I've been quite disappointed that none of the Prey Upon-type cards have been introduced to green. Berserker is wildly uncontrollable. Which, yes, I know, fits green, but it's a poor substitute in a game that mandates effective removal.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    wereotter said:
    I have 'aerial volley' and 'the great aurora' as origins direct removals.  Are there more?
    Indirect would be 'aim high' and 'wild instincts', which I find to costly to be really of use. But I would be surprised if any origins card gets balanced in the realease of 2.1. 
    Besides, was there ever a card that was buffed in MTGPQ? I have only seen nerfes so far. And these also way to rarely...
    Green doesn't do direct creature removal. It's not part of its color philosophy. In paper magic green relies on having the biggest creatures on the field and effects to make them take out opponent creatures.

To fix this here: green creatures with reach need to be large enough bodies to pose a real threat to enemy attackers. Highspire Artisan, for example, was a complete failure being an expensive 1/3 with reach.

Green needs more creatures that natively have berserker. This is a keyword unique to Puzzle Quest and so it can be added to any large, scary creature.

On a related note, there needs to not be a defender/reach/berserker tax on the cost of green creatures. This is how the color does creature removal, and so it needs to not be punished for doing so.

Lastly, D3 needs to not immediately dismiss common rarity cards from small blocks. Bump color staples from these sets to uncommon if need be so they can be added to the game. Prey Upon from Eldritch Moon should have been in the game this entire time, but I assume was skipped due to being printed at common rarity. Worse part is that Prey Upon was also in Aether Revolt, but again a common. So skipped again.

I've been quite disappointed that none of the Prey Upon-type cards have been introduced to green. Berserker is wildly uncontrollable. Which, yes, I know, fits green, but it's a poor substitute in a game that mandates effective removal.
    Berserker would work well for green if they also gave more green creatures regenerate, or even just spells that either gave regenerate to a creature, or restored a creature to full toughness. They've added regenerate to creatures that don't have it in the past (see Linvala) so it's not out of line to think they can't add it to other creatures for the purpose of making green more effective.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    And still waiting for answer regarding mastery in new environment. 
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Green should have cards like Gruesome Slaughter (but for green creatures, obviously).
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Green should have cards like Gruesome Slaughter (but for green creatures, obviously).
    Essentially that's kind of what Prey Upon could be except it would be one creature dealing damage equal to its power to another, if properly translated into this game. Kind of like Ulrich's transformation to werewolf mode. 
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    majincob said:
    @Hibernum_JC
    Can we get word on if you plan on auto-converting dupes before implementing the new dupe system? I'd love to know if I can open my massive hoard of packs when 2.1 comes out or if I have to keep on with my poor collection in the face of a new standard environment I can't compete in since I have to keep holding my packs for maximum return later.
    @Brigby
    This question still stands as far as I can tell. Can you bring this up to the devs... in the face of uncertainty many people will continue hoarding/not spending.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Szamsziel said:
    And still waiting for answer regarding mastery in new environment. 
    If everyone's mastery is lowered, does it really matter for who you compete against?  This seems like it would just lower everyone's rewards...
  • Szamsziel
    It matter for my alt. Shall I be using bfz and soi cards to have them mastered and jump in higher? Or not at all, focus only on Kaladesh/Amonkhet (in which I'm missing everything useful or important for competition in Pvp). 
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Throw this flawed matchmaking mechanism based on color mastery over board and use something based on performance. Use color mastery for something else or just keep it for the prizes, IMO.
  • SKGG2017
    SKGG2017 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    When update v2.1 come? Today?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll keep monitoring this thread and try to answer questions as they come up. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I call this fake news. The attempt was promising, the result is insulting. I haven't my mind up yet if you were actually lying, or if you simply don't care at all. Actually I don't even care for an explanation.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I'll keep monitoring this thread and try to answer questions as they come up. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I call this fake news. The attempt was promising, the result is insulting. I haven't my mind up yet if you were actually lying, or if you simply don't care at all. Actually I don't even care for an explanation.
    Why is every other post you make on this thread an attack/insult on D3/Hib people?  It's a little baffling and quite over the top.
  • Szamsziel
    I understand OP frustration. The issue is 8 pages of posts and practicaly no answers to the questions asked. The only thing we got so far is: excellent question, let me get this to developers. And then silence....
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Szamsziel said:
    I understand OP frustration. The issue is 8 pages of posts and practicaly no answers to the questions asked. The only thing we got so far is: excellent question, let me get this to developers. And then silence....
    Let's not be ungrateful.. they fixed Ornithopter, didn't they?
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    I'm annoyed that JC said they'd keep monitoring the thread for the coming days, then proceeded to disappear of the face of the earth, we don't even know if JC is alive! 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    James13 said:

Why is every other post you make on this thread an attack/insult on D3/Hib people?  It's a little baffling and quite over the top.

Thank you for the question!
    The answer is simple : Because I care for this game.
    There is literally no reaction at all since days, especially not by the quoted person. The only one (of officials) trying to make the best of it is Brigby. The whole thread is totally pointless without official reactions. Important questions have been asked, answers have been promised - and nothing.

I began polite and decent, I used constructive criticism, asked appropriate questions.
    But I don't see any reason to remain so, since the reaction - yeah.. Let's say it follows the same pattern as always. I'm not used to ignore incompetence, and I still hope that the situation changes. It is nothing special to escalate higher, when the situation gets worse, but.. What would be your recommendation, @james13? And I really am interested in your opinion!

By the way - I don't want to be insulting, especially not on a personal level. Maybe I'm a bit aggressive in terms of communication, annoying, and some other stuff, but I don't want to insult anybody on a personal level.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    @volrak
    Thank you for your feedback! Of course I don't mind you stepping in! Actually it's the very opposite, I was kind of hoping for this kind of feedback.
    To your hard point :
    You are absolutely right. And that's a problem (at least in my opinion) . Communication should not only be happening when people feel like it. If you open a communication channel, like this forum, it should be used properly, and that means that you also have to work with negative feedback.

I've waited for months and only followed the forum, without interacting directly: a flourish communication happened always when the devs stepped in, and stopped immediately when they left the discussion (in most cases without warning).. Also, of course, on topics where only players discussed.
    I was totally happy at the beginning of this thread, especially when reading what I quoted and didn't think for a second about interfering like I do now.. So now I'm asking you, without any Ironie:what is your idea on how to improve the situation? I'm always open for critic! Being annoying surely isn't the best solution, but ignoring problems isn't either.
  • Szamsziel
    Any info about maintenance window? I understand that lack of content (no training, EO shorter) is due to plan of rollout