Ajani 2: disappointing

Options
2»

Comments

• arevala
    arevala Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    with the right cards (and luck) I could beat 2 battlefield matches at my second turn, 3 more at my 3rd turn. I dont think he is bad at all, you just need those standard cards and fill the board with anergysed gems as soon as you can
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the longevity question is real with this one.  He's hitting literally the week before the next set.  The abilities should be more able to hold their own without relying on set cards.  I like the idea of his ultimate including at least some energize as a compromise to that...
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @arevala
     This is not a question of wether or not it is possible to make a loopdeck that can run the opponent into the ground quickly. you dont need white to do that, all green cards are all you need. I can run the  same deck I use for Nissa 2 and do what you said. ANY PW with green can make a manaramp loop deck, that is not the point here.

no it's'about the PW himself: the distribution of card types and the longevity of his PW powers (especially his ULT) And i must admit, there is little synergy with his powers and the cards. 

• blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A2 will be the Arlinn from KLD. Orphaned and unwanted when the set after Amonkhet arrives. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Having been using Ajani 2 exclusively for Training Grounds since he's been released, I think he's alright. His second ability will stay relevant regardless of set. And as @ridfrenzy mentioned, you typically hit 12 loyalty with him faster than you do with Nahiri due to Green gem conversion.

His third ability becomes useless after KLD and AER rotate out, but imo that's not a big deal when ability 2 is so strong.

Mana gains are capped presumably cause the possibility of ramping straight to Deploy the Gatewatch or Starfield of Nyx is not something the developers want to encourage. He could have done perhaps with a +1 to Red like @Dologan said, but if White supports and Green ramp stay strong, I believe Ajani 2 will have his niche.
  • jetnoctis
    jetnoctis Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A2 will be the Arlinn from KLD. Orphaned and unwanted when the set after Amonkhet arrives. 

Don't forget the one who was orphaned and unwanted from delivery...
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I also agree his total support should be 5 to allow more flexibility especially for white. 
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    First thing first, to OP, thank you for making this thread. Reading this reminded me to check the vault for new PW, and lo and behold, Ajani is in this week's offer. Almost missed him :smiley:

As for his ability.... well, I haven't quite tried him yet (having just bought him, of course), but I reckon he should be ok with his own Oath, given that his second ability is both a stronger version of his Oath AND gives more energy for his Oath to trigger. His first ability does feel trash (until Nissa's Rejuvenation or whatever that card is called rotates out), since Serene Steward and Cilffhaven Vampire are rotating out, but at least with Arborback Stomper technically he'll be pretty sturdy.

Again, though, I need to test him myself.
  • ErikInVegas
    ErikInVegas Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I picked this PW up simply because I didn't have any G/W PWs and I have enough crystals to get it and 2 dual colors of whatever the new set brings.

Anyone who has less crystals should almost certainly wait for the new set.

This is really the dev's fault for not rotating out every color combo.

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just a hint: Amonkhet brings no dual pw's. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But Nissa...? 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Current Amonkhet PW:
    Gideon (mono white)
    Liliana (mono black)
    Nissa (Green Blue dual color)
  • Szamsziel