TOTP revisited

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
Recently I've started playing TOTP again.

No doubt the pompous, compulsive yay-sayers of the forum will be just dying to remind me that I once said something like 'I'd rather rub steel wool over my eyeballs than play TOTP ever again' [citation needed], so, what's changed?

Well, the prizes, one thing! +5 unobtanium! Big Whoop! 30 more crystals if I get a perfect!! Nope, that's not the reason.

Actually, it's largely because Baral has been nerfed. Being a human being like the rest of you (no, really, I am!), I also didn't like it when Baral exploded out of nowhere and combo'd my face into a nice chianti. And as a sore loser, I didn't like the fact that my best chance of winning was to play Baral myself, and sit through those loops every single game. I particularly didn't like the way that each node featured 3 games, and I'd have to lock my PW in for all 3, so I couldn't play a more speedy Nahiri deck against easier opponents for fear of running into a Baral later on (NB: I've discovered that since 2.0 you can actually change your PW between games inside each node in TOTP... I don't know if you could do that before, it might have changed my opinion of the event. A little).

So, I started playing TOTP again, and blow me, if I'm not having some fun. As it stands now, there don't seem to be a lot of people playing it, and those there are are the people who can afford to spend 60 crystals a day on it. So the decks are of a really high standard. Couple that with the enraged and supercharged modes, and there's some real challenge here. Most times I don't get the 30 crystals for a perfect run.

Interestingly, when the Black TOTP was run without it's entrance fee this week, the standard of the decks I faced dropped dramatically; obviously far more players entered than normal. My Tezz2 SA/BTB deck, quite used to facing the mirror match in TOTP, instead fought decks featuring a Weaponcraft Enthusiast; then Shadows of the Past and Unholy Hunger; then Abundant Maw. Don't look at the card, and see if you can remember what Abundant Maw does.

So clearly, the 60 crystals entrance fee is currently acting as a significant barrier to keep players with weaker collections out. The thing is, tho, why can't I always face opponents who present a significant challenge to me in TOTP, regardless of how many low level players join? It's not like we're actually playing against each other in live PvP. Matchmaking, and Tiers, are still a problem.

Also a problem is the green node. Green planeswalkers can be divided into 2 difficulty levels: Kiora, and everyone else. Playing against anyone else with Kiora is not a challenge. Also, I'm bored out of my skull by my looping Kiora deck now, but I sure as hell am not going to lose games by playing anything else against someone else's looping Kiora deck. Standard is most likely going to cut Kiora's balls off a bit, but she'll still be way OP in Legacy (what are we calling Not-Standard? Vintage doesn't seem right to me, what with the cards not dating back to 1993, so I'm going with Legacy). Actually, even in Standard, my prediction is that she'll still be head and shoulders above all the other green planeswalkers... Baral remains OP, for a start, and she'll get better use out of the insanely broken Rishkar's Expertise than any other green walker will. Blue draws cards, don't you know.

Is the entry fee of 60 crystals worth 20 unobtanium and a booster? No, probably not. I reckon my stack of crystals probably hit 0 when AKH is released, and then I'll have to take a long hard look at whether I can afford to play TOTP any more when I need to build up 650 crystals to buy new planeswalkers. I have yet to be rudely awakened to the fact unobtanium will be practically the only way to get my hands on mythics in the future, but that does not mean that 20 unobtanium is worth anything. Hell, if unobtanium was valuable, maybe I'd have spent some of my enormous stash of it already on Elite packs or Mythic boosters. Who knows if there will Elite pack with Amonkhet Innovations in them to buy soon. D3/Hibernum conspicuously failed to answer this question:
http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/679540/#Comment_679540

Comments

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    (NB: I've discovered that since 2.0 you can actually change your PW between games inside each node in TOTP... I don't know if you could do that before, it might have changed my opinion of the event. A little).

You'll be glad to know this has been the case since Trial of the Planes was introduced. Glad you're having fun playing the event.

shteev said:
    Is the entry fee of 60 crystals worth 20 unobtanium and a booster? No, probably not. I reckon my stack of crystals probably hit 0 when AKH is released, and then I'll have to take a long hard look at whether I can afford to play TOTP any more when I need to build up 650 crystals to buy new planeswalkers. I have yet to be rudely awakened to the fact unobtanium will be practically the only way to get my hands on mythics in the future, but that does not mean that 20 unobtanium is worth anything. Hell, if unobtanium was valuable, maybe I'd have spent some of my enormous stash of it already on Elite packs or Mythic boosters. Who knows if there will Elite pack with Amonkhet Innovations in them to buy soon. D3/Hibernum conspicuously failed to answer this question:

I would mention that the calculations have already been done (on this very forum itself in fact). But do share your findings after you do the calculations.
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like TOTP and the challenge also.  Made the full 60 once I think but usually get all the unobtainium.  Except BLUE.  No chance here with double mana means all the claustrophias and return to deck critters are played by Ai and really hard to get anywhere so usually skip that one.  Last black Legendary challenge cAn usually be combated by Obs last ability with them drawing 2 cards quickly killing themselves 
  • shteev
    Options
    shteev said:
    Who knows if there will Elite pack with Amonkhet Innovations in them to buy soon. D3/Hibernum conspicuously failed to answer this question:
    @Brigby I feel like people tag you all the time, and it must feel a lot like everyone's clamoring for you attention, so i just left this question here to be answered at your leisure. Looks like it's going to drop off the first page tho, and it could do with answer, so, tag! You're it!
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Given the way things go, Kiora may be dethroned as the dominant green planeswalker in the Amonkhet block, since you brought it up. Just depends on what abilities they give to the new Nissa who is also green/blue. Unlike Kaladesh, it doesn't seem there are mechanics like energize that will tie her to the block as closely as the last group, so she's definitely one to keep an eye on. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Given the way things go, Kiora may be dethroned as the dominant green planeswalker in the Amonkhet block, since you brought it up. Just depends on what abilities they give to the new Nissa who is also green/blue. Unlike Kaladesh, it doesn't seem there are mechanics like energize that will tie her to the block as closely as the last group, so she's definitely one to keep an eye on. 
    I have a feeling we won't get the new Nissa cause 2 new Green planeswalkers were already released in KLD + AER. Just like how we didn't get Tamiyo. It'll probably be Liliana and Gideon only.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    wereotter said:
    I have a feeling we won't get the new Nissa cause 2 new Green planeswalkers were already released in KLD + AER. Just like how we didn't get Tamiyo. It'll probably be Liliana and Gideon only.
    I'm not sure about that being an issue considering we've gotten blue planeswalkers in every expansion. Kiora in Zendikar, Jace in Innistrad, Dovin in Kaladesh, and Saheeli in Aether Revolt. I think Tamiyo was skipped because of how unbalanced a three color planeswalker would be in this game. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options

Oh god... that's what we need is 1 more mono white and 1 more mono black PW to waste our money on =(

I wish Lilliana would start enjoying Nissa's explosive vegetation instead of Chandra's hungry flames so that we can finally get a Golgari walker...

//Removed Inappropriate Imagery -Brigby

• shteev
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Oh god... that's what we need is 1 more mono white and 1 more mono black PW to waste our money on =(
    Don't panic, I'm sure they'll both have +5 mana generation across the board to justify their purchase.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the issue with Tamiyo was some sort of bug which prevented them from charging more than $100 for a single item.