Upgrade for the Planeswalker you start with

Options
AngelForge
AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
Hello,

this idea has been with me a while and I thought maybe it's something you agree with.

I saw a discussion where it was said, that the "50 crystal planeswalker" are weak (especially in terms of mana gain), because they only cost 50 crystals amd that is why they stay the way they are. So this is where my idea comes in. It comes in two varieties, that both have in general the same outcome but maybe one way is less work for a programmer than the other.
So, here the idea:

Once you bought the starting planeswalker for 50 crystals you are able to upgrade them for 245 crystals (295 crystals seems to be the new prize for a mono-color planeswalker, but maybe a little bit cheaper is also okay icon_e_winkgif ). The two varieties would be that you can do that from the start (and the level progression has to be change a bit) or you are able to do that at the level of 60 (which I guess is easier to implement, but don't count on me). For the story they could go on quest that made them more powerful or they trained/studied an became better because of that.

Both upgrade versions would have the same outcome at level 60.

Here are my suggestions for the planeswalker:

Gideon, Battle-Forged
I think his skill are fine the way they are (of course, you may object) and just his mana gains are low. After the upgrade his mana gains could be manablackpng +0, manabluepng +2, managreenpng +2, manaredpng +0, manawhitepng +4.

Jace, Telepath Unbound
New mana gains would be manablackpng +2, manabluepng +4, manawhitepng +2, managreenpng +0, manaredpng +0
Jace, Telepath unbound is by a lot considered one of the worst PWs in the game and this is probably also due to his skills. So here are my suggestions for a change:

Confusion (6 loyalty)
Either
-2/-4/-6/-8 power for target creature until the beginning of your next turn
or
give -2/-3/-4/-5 power to all your opponents creatures until the beginning of you next turn.
(this would bypass hexproof, so I'm not so sure about the cost. But I leave it at 6 for now.)

Ingenuity (12 loyalty)
Either
Return the last spell cast to your hand and reduces the casting cost for 2/4/6/8 mana
or
return the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th spell(s) cast and reduce their casting cost by 1/2/3/4 mana

Mind sculpt (18 loyalty)
Create a colorless support with 3 shields and "Trap 3/4/5/6: Your opponent loses 3/4/5/6 mana 

Chandra, Roaring Flame
Same procedure. manablackpng +2, manaredpng +4, managreenpng +2, manawhitepng +0, manabluepng +0

Liliana, Defiant Necromancer
Also, only the mana gain changes. manaredpng +2, manablackpng +4, manabluepng +2, manawhitepng +0, managreenpng +0

Nissa, Sage Animist
Nissa is a little bit trickier, because even though her summed up mana gain is substandard, with green's ramp ability she can do well. So I would only raise the adjacent color gain and work on there abilities. So, her final mana gain would look like this: manaredpng +2, managreenpng +3, manawhitepng +2, manabluepng +0, manablackpng +0.

Nature's Bounty
I would leave her first ability as it is.

Nature's Gift
I read that her skill is not as good as the others because it is not permanent and costs a lot, so I would reduce it's cost to 12.

Nature's Regrowth
Convert 10/15/20/25 gems to green and gain 5/10/15/20 life. (I think that the life gain is not to much for 24 loyalty. What to you think? Is that to much, okay or even too low?)

So far, these are my ideas for the starting planeswalker. Of course this could be done to others as well. For example, as a perspective:

Liliana, The Last Hope
For 400 crystals she gains the blue color and is a dual-color planeswalker (I think with the zombie theme this would be great because blue also has zombies)

Okay, I'm curious about your opinion. icon_e_smilegif

Regards!
Sven

Edit: Updated the starting PW cost from 10 to 50 crystals
Edit: Add ideas for Jace, Telepath unbound skills

Comments

• ErikInVegas
    ErikInVegas Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It makes sense.

The biggest drawback to these PWs is the lack of manna.
  • AngelForge
    Options
    I'd like to put some attention on this topic again. In addition, I'll put Sorin81s idea here as well. I hope it's ok, because I didn't ask...
    Sorin81 wrote:
    IMO

I know it's been said before and I know the low manacrystal.png cost somewhat justifies their power levels but with the newer planeswalkers available the originals are starting to become obsolete. That shouldn't happen.
    So I think that they could use a few minor tweaks just to stay competative.
    Here are my suggestions.

Gideon, Battle Forged
    Increase to first ability:
    At level 3 - flying, vigilance, +2/+2
    At level 4 - flying, vigilance, +2/+2,
    regenerate 2

Level 60 mana bonuses: +5 manawhite.png | +2 managreen.png | manared.png | manablack.png | +2 manablue.png

Chandra, Roaring Flame
    Reduce cost of third ability from 21 to 15

Level 60 mana bonuses: manawhite.png | +2 managreen.png | +5 manared.png | +2 manablack.png | manablue.png

Increase health from 82 to 92

Nissa, Sage Animist
    Increase to first ability:
    At level 4 - draw 1 card, gain 5 life, gain 5
    mana, convert 5 gems green
    Reduce cost of third ability from 24 to 18

Level 60 mana bonuses: +2 manawhite.png | +5 managreen.png | +2 manared.png | manablack.png | manablue.png

Lilliana, Defiant Necromancer
    Increase health from 94 to 104

Level 60 mana bonuses: manawhite.png | managreen.png | +2 manared.png | +5 manablack.png | +2 manablue.png

Jace, Telepath Unbound
    *not sure here, I think his abilities need a complete rework

Level 60 mana bonuses: +2 manawhite.png | managreen.png | manared.png | +2 manablack.png | +5 manablue.png

Heath increase from 88 to 98

I think these changes would help to make the Origin planeswalkers more playable without overpowering them.
    I'm also not opposed to paying manacrystal.png for a one time upgrade per planeswalker.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No need to ask. I was just reading your post again and giving it the big thumbs up!
    Wonder why we can't get any traction with this? Thinking about adding to my signature.
  • Sorin81
    Options
    Bump

Keeping this thread alive.
  • AngelForge
    Options
    I'd like to bump this again.
    In addition, I heard that the starting planeswalker now cost 50 crystals instead of 10!
    If that true? 

If so, I will edit my suggestion and adjust my suggested cost for the upgrade.
  • Sorin81
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yep it's true.
    Been that way for a while now.

Buff the Origins Planeswalkers
    @Brigby @Hibernum_JC  @Hibernum_Will
    What's you guys take on this?

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Sorin81

I think it's an interesting idea. Having said that though, I'm not a designer, so I don't have the insight into how that kind of an upgrade would affect balancing. I can pass it along to the team though, and see what their thoughts are.
  • Sorin81
    Options
    @Brigby
    Balancing is the issue.
    AngelForge and I posted this separately here and in general discussion but our ideas were very similar.
    With the increasing power of newer planeswalkers the original five have fallen behind.

In my post over in general discussion I said

"I think these changes would help to make the Origin planeswalkers more playable without overpowering them.
    I'm also not opposed to paying manacrystalpng for a one time upgrade per planeswalker."

When you pass this along be sure to mention this as well. I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving us another place to spend those crystals.

• AngelForge
    Options
    I still hope this to happen in one form or another...
  • Sorin81
    Options
    @AngelForge
    Just switched to desktop and saw your signature (still can't see those on mobile).
    Thanks for the support.

• AngelForge
    Options
    Well, you're welcome. :smile:
    I also edited some skill suggestions for Jace, Telepath Unbound.
  • AngelForge
    Options
    @Brigby
    Did you pass it along and did you get an answer? 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @AngelForge

I did in fact pass it along, however I did not receive any feedback regarding your discussion thread yet. It most likely is due to the team being very focused on developing the 2.1 build, and to my knowledge, there aren't any Planeswalker updates in that patch.