v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    @Hibernum_JC will you monitor this thread for more than 1 day? 
    Apparently not... 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    EDHdad said:
    Now that we know a 4/4 with vigilance is a masterpiece-level card, I think we should re-evaluate Gideon II's 1st ability.
    Agreed. I think he should make 6 3/3s with double strike.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's like you guys have never seen world breaker before. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    EDHdad said:
    Now that we know a 4/4 with vigilance is a masterpiece-level card, I think we should re-evaluate Gideon II's 1st ability.

But does it fly?

PS I've missed you, G1
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will keep monitoring this thread and try to answer questions as they come up. Thanks for the feedback guy

@Hibernum_JC will you monitor this thread for more than 1 day? 

Told you so, @THEMAGICkMAN
    When you are talking directly to a Hibernumon, they will get scared. Scared ones will run and hide. Calm down time is normally around three weeks.
    Sadly, this is exactly what I've expected.. Well, at least Brigby is trapped here with us 8)
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor

Told you so, @THEMAGICkMAN
    When you are talking directly to a Hibernumon, they will get scared. Scared ones will run and hide. Calm down time is normally around three weeks.
    Sadly, this is exactly what I've expected.. Well, at least Brigby is trapped here with us 8)
    What does labelling a response pattern as "scared" achieve?   Is it really necessary to actively reinforce the very problem you're complaining about?
  • Razrbck08
    Razrbck08 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In

LakeStone said:

Two new weekend events have been added to the game - Trial of Zeal, a PvE coalition challenge where you will face off against the Gods of Amonkhet, and Trial of Strength, where you will face off against other players using the new Amonkhet Planeswalkers.

@Brigby I'm confused about the last line in this quote. Does it mean you can only use the brand new planeswalkers in this event that don't exist yet or is it also limited to standard like the cards. 

Limiting to standard is annoying but people can deal with it, the other just creates 0 reason to ever level up most planeswalkers for those that still struggle with not enough runes.

• Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    gruntface said:
    There can never be a truly level playing field and those who have been playing for longer and spent more will still have an advantage. However, by removing whole blocks of cards from PVP this will remove some of the more powerful combinations from the game and that will impact the top end more at least initially.

They will still be better able to adjust their decks and will have deeper reserves to draw from, but a lot of the truly nasty decks will be cut down and level things out a bit. There will still be haves and have nots but time will tell what the new PVP meta looks like.

The big win for D3H is that buying powerful cards will be even more productive because of the removal of many of the more effective counters. This will speed up P2W further as new players can 'catch up' a little better to those who have a rich inventory of cards.

They won't be able to fully bridge the gap and will still need to learn the game but there is arguably more bang for the buck in standard at the time that the money is spent (and for a good while after).

I'm looking forward to having to re-tool my decks significantly, it's breathing some fresh life into the game. But I already miss what I've worked hard to build even if it made me somewhat lazy.
    Those of us who have been playing longer and invested far more time and money than a new player, should have an advantage. Thats the whole point of pkaying games. The longer you play, the more accomokished you become. If someone can join tomorrow and have the same cards in a coupke of months as a legacy player than something is very wrong. 
    This goes the same for anyone who thinks rewards should be more heavily waited to new players. This thinking makes the late game completely pointless for top players. Why the tinykitty would i or anyone else try to get a high rank by soending time and money if i can get a reward just as good if not better coming in last.
    This line of thinking brings a millenial mindset of "i participated, i deserve just as big of a trophy as first place" mindset to the game.
    If you want the best cards or the best rewards put on your big boy pants and earn them.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Razrbck08 said:

LakeStone said:

Two new weekend events have been added to the game - Trial of Zeal, a PvE coalition challenge where you will face off against the Gods of Amonkhet, and Trial of Strength, where you will face off against other players using the new Amonkhet Planeswalkers.

Brigby I'm confused about the last line in this quote. Does it mean you can only use the brand new planeswalkers in this event that don't exist yet or is it also limited to standard like the cards. 

Limiting to standard is annoying but people can deal with it, the other just creates 0 reason to ever level up most planeswalkers for those that still struggle with not enough runes.
    @Razrbck08

Unfortunately I don't have specific details regarding those events, however based on those brief descriptions, I would speculate that Trial of Zeal is a boss event (Fight the boss until it runs out of health), and Trial of Strength is a 3 node event (1 node featuring a specific Planeswalker, and the other 2 are open)

The 2.1 patch should be coming sometime next week though, so all of the specific details will be listed in the Final Release Notes.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Just small reminder about mastery in light of removal of bfz/soi. 
    (idea:remove tiers from pve events)
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    @Szamsziel
    The tiers in PVE exist to motivate players to move on to Platinum and not babysit the gold tier. So, they should remove tiers entirely and have another match-making mechanism related somewhat to your performance.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    That was fine for having both pve and pvp sharing card pool. With change to  "standard" this is no longer the case. So that's why I suggest clear separation and even removal of tiers in pve. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Szamsziel said:
    That was fine for having both pve and pvp sharing card pool. With change to  "standard" this is no longer the case. So that's why I suggest clear separation and even removal of tiers in pve. 

Meh, just play Platinum.  It's better up here....  Plus unobtanium...
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    The only major thing I'm worried about the rotation is that now mono-green is as good as screwed. Remind me if otherwise, but aside from Scour from Existence and Ulrich, does green has any true kill spell? Berserker effects are unreliable, and Amonkhet is rather horribly lacking in green hexproof (of course, hexproof in PQ tend to be insane, but still...)
  • AngelForge
    I have 'aerial volley' and 'the great aurora' as origins direct removals.  Are there more?
    Indirect would be 'aim high' and 'wild instincts', which I find to costly to be really of use. But I would be surprised if any origins card gets balanced in the realease of 2.1. 
    Besides, was there ever a card that was buffed in MTGPQ? I have only seen nerfes so far. And these also way to rarely...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    @AngelForge
    dont forget the almighty Ornithopter! Now served with vigilance!
    If I remember right, some cards have been buffed by lowering the mana costs as well.
    @Hibernum_JC seems to have left the building, good move! Questions are annoying.
  • AngelForge
    @Laeuftbeidir
    Haha, true! But some pointed already out that they (or was it just shteev?) don't think that providing vigilance is a buff. And I kind of agree. It could be situational good, but a lot of times it will just reduce the cards staying time on the board.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Well, that's the reason for my overly positive choice of words. But at least it was intended to be a buff after lots of negative feedback. Also, the amount of flying blockers is not that high, so I'll admit it is useful. "gains vigilance after being reinforced" or vigilance by activation gem would be a better feature I guess ;)
    Oh, and one thing relevant for that : it is indeed closer to the original counterpart after the bunerff, so I don't consider it a bad change.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    It's much more in line with the flavor of the paper card which is a disposable 0 cost chump blocker (before taking into account how others have abused it in paradoxical outcome and artifact synergy decks).
  • AngelForge
    Still, if I look at devil's playground... Ornithopter still looks kind of equal. Okay, you can put it in any deck but I guess people would like to see more from a masterpiece.