v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:
    Szamsziel said:
    Actually I think Sahaeli still be good after kld rotation due to her colors and mana gain. Ultimate will be useless though. Aerlinn - may still have some usage (I play her without any WV) but it depend on cards in rg available.  Chandra 2 - meh. Dovin -he's 1St is mana gain which be valuable and 2 can support himself as terrible but potential draw engine.  I think he will see some action. Ajani2 - I'm  doubtful. Nissa 2 can be strong (converting gems and ultimate).I think Koth return in glory. Sorin will be reduced to ashes. He loose all staples - lone rider, Serene, campaign, Olivia, cheap removal. Nahiri - still gonna be strong (zoo).
    Saheeli will only be good for her colors and mana. She'll create energy with nothing to use it on with her first ability,

Saheeli dropping 4/4 thopters is very useful, even if energy isn't. I often use it to draw out removal from my opponent.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    EDHdad said:
    Arlinn's 1st ability is freaking godlike.  It turns one of your critters temporarily into Decimator of the Provinces.  All of a sudden, your mild-mannered 4/4 Ornithopter is bashing your opponent's creature for 8.  It's like a free removal spell, that you didn't even need to spend a deck slot on.

Gotta say, I don't use Arlinn much, but agree here. Her 1st ability is pretty nice, especially since it doesn't kill your creature when the buff wears off. =p
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    wereotter said:
    Szamsziel said:
    Actually I think Sahaeli still be good after kld rotation due to her colors and mana gain. Ultimate will be useless though. Aerlinn - may still have some usage (I play her without any WV) but it depend on cards in rg available.  Chandra 2 - meh. Dovin -he's 1St is mana gain which be valuable and 2 can support himself as terrible but potential draw engine.  I think he will see some action. Ajani2 - I'm  doubtful. Nissa 2 can be strong (converting gems and ultimate).I think Koth return in glory. Sorin will be reduced to ashes. He loose all staples - lone rider, Serene, campaign, Olivia, cheap removal. Nahiri - still gonna be strong (zoo).
    Saheeli will only be good for her colors and mana. She'll create energy with nothing to use it on with her first ability,

Saheeli dropping 4/4 thopters is very useful, even if energy isn't. I often use it to draw out removal from my opponent.
    Constructs exist outside of KLD, too. Although I doubt we'll see vehicles again.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    shteev said:
    madwren said:
    wereotter said:
    Szamsziel said:

Constructs exist outside of KLD, too. Although I doubt we'll see vehicles again.
    Yes, now my Demon Abbey is finally relevant!
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Vehicles aren't constructs.
  • shteev
    edited May 2017
    EDHdad said:
    They are constructs, tho. Saheeli's 2nd affects constructs.

Did I run over your cat this morning or something? :p
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    shteev said:
    EDHdad said:

I didn't know saheeli's 2nd affected vehicles!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    shteev said:
    EDHdad said:

It doesn't. Vehicles aren't constructs. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Ohboy said:
    shteev said:
    EDHdad said:

It doesn't. Vehicles aren't constructs. 
    Thanks for clarifying!
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the summation, Brigby. I see much potential with the new event structure.

The other question surrounding that structure was would players receive an additional deck slot now that we are forced into playing "standard" decks for future events.

• Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    Anyone else worried that the new set won't/could not have any werewolves and that Standard will exclude ALL existing werewolves?  Arlinn may be far less viable than she is now once the update hits.
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Arlinn is still the only red-green planeswalker for some time- that along should make her useable for certain builds you are unable to build with other planeswalkers. For now though I definitely would not expect they to make any changes regarding this until Wizards of the Coast prints more werewolves :)
  • shteev
    Brigby said:

Why was Ornithopter buffed?
    Ornithopter was given Vigilance to increase its effectiveness. As a 4/4 flyer for 4 mana, it is still one of the very most efficient creatures in the game, and being colorless means it can be used everywhere. Giving it Vigilance also brings it closer to its original intent, which is to have a cheap flying blocker.
    Please, please let the dev team know that giving something vigilance is not buffing it.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    shteev said:
    Brigby said:

Ornithopter was given Vigilance to increase its effectiveness. As a 4/4 flyer for 4 mana, it is still one of the very most efficient creatures in the game, and being colorless means it can be used everywhere. Giving it Vigilance also brings it closer to its original intent, which is to have a cheap flying blocker.
    Please, please let the dev team know that giving something vigilance is not buffing it.
    If they don't know that already, the game is really in as much as trouble as a lot of us think.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    I think the move to Standard further devalues individual card purchases since their lifetime use will be limited for certain periods of play, tagger than the game's lifetime. 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    shteev said:
    Brigby said:

If they don't know that already, the game is really in as much as trouble as a lot of us think.
    But they DID mention that the buff lies in making it a cheap blocker. So it is a buff for its intended role
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Invocations @Hibernum_JC?

(Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but I didn't see it when I was skimming the previous posts) 
  • GregDreher
    GregDreher Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Rotation, for the time being, will make the Kaladesh masterpieces (at least the good ones, like the Swords) disproportionately powerful.  It will be harder to compete against the whales who have spent thousands of dollars on the game.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    babar3355 said:

I don't understand the general freak out over the implementation of standard format in PvP events.  You can still use your broken cards in the coalition events it sounds like.  ...

All the actual coalition events will be standard format. The weekend PVE coalition event is specifically singled out, and the midweek coalition event will be PVP. Actually I'm pretty non-thrilled they decided to make yet another never-ending yet never certain when it will end PVE event. Don't they read the forums and know people hate that format?