v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Morphling said:
    Ornithopter is a great change imo. Remember the NOP blue node where u have to take 10 or less damage? This card will be perfect for that...
    Actually, with the exclusion of True Faith Censer, Always Vigilant and Haunted Cloak, cheap flying defenders, esp. colourless, will be in short supply (pending AKH). A vigilant Ornithopter does definitely fill that gap quite nicely making it better than the pitiful joke it used to be. Still hardly a "masterpiece" of a card, but it'll have its niche, at least; could actually be a pretty good Rare or mediocre Mythic now.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    LakeStone said:

We are now running PvE events all week long - we are starting with retooled versions of Revolt against the Consulate and Fateful Showdown. Every Monday to Thursday, one of the two events will be available to play. The events have been reworked so they no longer are Coalition Challenges but instead are in a similar vein to the Oath of the Gatewatch event.

Rewards have also been reallocated. The goal is to make PvP events more competitive and have the bulk of Mana Crystals and Mana Jewels, while weekly PvE events focus on Mana Runes and card packs. The goal with this change is to ensure that newer players can focus on the PvE events and get Mana Runes and boosters, while our more competitive players focus on PvP where the rewards are more substantial.

PVE events will have a focus on mana runes and booster packs for new players to catch up...?
    Newer players will get totally stomped by 3.3 nodes and maybbe even earlier.
    So, the last reward in that PVE events will be the booster? Or will there be more than one?

I don't want to draw black pictures but I'm a little bit suspicious that this will really be something for newer players.
    I guess they are better suited for PVP against opponents in their tier. And everybody can use mana crystals and mana runes.
  • kauppila
    kauppila Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I have posted before as have others.  The Masterpiece set of Helm, Gauntlets and Greaves are so underpowered as to be almost useless.
    In a 60+ card magic deck, it's certainly possible to expect to use a # of slots on items like these, but out of a 10 card PQ deck, those cards would take really valuable space.
    Further, the powers are the cards are nothing that you cannot get with other cards (commons and uncommons in most cases).

These cards really need to be increased in power.  Give bonus powers if you match 2 of the set, and something more impressive if you match 3.  This would force the opponent to deal with the supports or suffer for it.  (Prevent Damage and/or Hexproof would be appropriate 3rd tier powers).
  • kauppila
    kauppila Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    @Brigby@LakeStone
    One more thing.  As these new mechanics are coming, can we get full details on how those will work.  The rules for the new mechanics should be set in stone at this point and can be released before the artwork.
    Thanks!
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    LakeStone said:

New Event Rules

Starting with the release of Amonkhet, all the events in the game will now have new rules in effect that limit the card sets available to participate in the event.

In PvP events from Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet, you can now only create decks with cards from Origins, Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet combined.

In PvE events (outside of the new Coalition Challenge that runs on the weekends), you can create decks using any cards in your collection.

Many of the veterans that post on here wouldn't mind having their SoI block excluded in the upcoming events (myself included). Since we use to get them for free just by participating together in coalition events. It how I got my Deploy the Gatewatch (pre- rewards nerf).

But for many others that aren't in these exclusive coalition families. They actually have to spend crystals and expect many many dups before they get to see Deploy. even to this day, there are players investing their crystals earned from KLD events trying their luck for that very card. spending mana jewels in the latest Mythic card set deal for it. And with the upcoming release it all going to be in vain?

I only hope those none Amonkhet event rewards is worth it. because if there is no meaningful way of playing cards from previous blocks then I don't see any reason sticking around. D3 is just gonna do the same thing to KLD/Amonkhet once a newer set is released.

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor

- please consider rewarding these events with cards from the sets of the events, not only from the latest (also in platinum!)

I second this! Free 5-card boosters are great, but the new block/standard format you guys are proposing will make things difficult for newer players to participate in events from older blocks. They can use as many opportunities to get those cards as possible. Plus, for us old-timers, it'd be nice to have the occasional shot at one of those chase cards from the older sets.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't understand the general freak out over the implementation of standard format in PvP events.  You can still use your broken cards in the coalition events it sounds like.  If you get a new broken card in a booster it will still be fun to play with in RATC, Avacyn, AKH event, presumably TotP, etc.  You just cant use it in the PvP events that restrict those cards.  This is an amazingly good change.  There are cards like Shrine and mirrorpool that have been in virtually every deck I play for over a year.  This is the only way to mix up decks and alleviate some of the power creep.  And again, plenty of content to continue playing with older blocks. 

All in all, thanks for listening to the community @brigby and @hibernum_JC .  If you get the matchmaking fixed and the prize increases are sufficient (I am praying "adjusted" means increased) I will officially be off of the Not.Another.Dime bandwagon.

Just don't make every for sale exclusive super broken and the game pay to win...

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    I've decided to test a bit deckbuilding using only kld and origins. Few things:
    - Lack of mana gain cards and converters make play a lot slower than in 2.0
    - Cheap/mass removal is gone (I was using tez2 and 9 mana needed for turn to frog or unlicensed is huge). May be difficult to beat embalm though.
    - Draw engines gone - I'd miss Tamiyo's. Cycle may help here.
    - Without op mythics from origin/kld it will be hard to compete so it is more pay to win attitude. 
    - mana gain pw will rise
    - Fast kill achieves will be harder to get.

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Szamsziel said:
    I've decided to test a bit deckbuilding using only kld and origins. Few things:
    - Lack of mana gain cards and converters make play a lot slower than in 2.0
    - Cheap/mass removal is gone (I was using tez2 and 9 mana needed for turn to frog or unlicensed is huge). May be difficult to beat embalm though.
    - Draw engines gone - I'd miss Tamiyo's. Cycle may help here.
    - Without op mythics from origin/kld it will be hard to compete so it is more pay to win attitude. 
    - mana gain pw will rise
    - Fast kill achieves will be harder to get.

Saheeli Rai will move from the best planeswalker to a God... guess it fits the set =)
  • Szamsziel
    Rishar's expertise + gaea will be also godly:)
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    As for rebalancing cards from Origins, we'll see as time goes if it becomes a necessity. We like that some cards will become staples of certain colors, but obviously if something becomes a major problem we will address it. 
    Please don't do this. It is extremely frustrating to have cards that are staples in eternal formats subject to balancing from standard. The better solution would be to have a core set, of which most cards are constant, but some can rotate out for balance / variety reasons.

The Hearthstone devs made the mistake of doing this, and while they fixed the problem eventually by rotating out cards, they destroyed some staple archetypes in wilds while trying to balance standard.
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    These changes also raise the value of purchased mythics as a players pool is so much smaller now. I would request that the cost of theses mythics be reduced by a large amount and their balance be evaluated a bit closer than in the past.
  • Infested
    Also I second the mastery issues outlined above 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    @blacklotus

I just wanted to jump in real quick and clarify that those restrictions will only be placed onto decks in PvP events from Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet. Most PvE events will be unchanged.

Having said that though, it's a good question, and I'll relay it to the developers so they know to keep those Planeswalkers in mind.
    which means that Arlinn and Liliana2 will probably not be used in Amonkhet specific PvP events since they are not competitive anymore. I know that can be said for Gideon2 with his ally specific abilities. At least he can summon ally knights with his 2nd ability. 
    Arlinn will absolutely be resigned to PvE since werewolves are an Innistrad-specific tribe. However I think people are going a bit far saying that Liliana 2 will also be useless. Zombies are a staple tribe in MtG. Their absense on Kaladesh was a bigger deal than their presence on Innistrad. Additionally zombies are a pretty important presence on Amonkhet.

Sure you won't be able to cycle infinite Prized Amalgams with Graf Harvest anymore, but her skill set will still remain incredibly useful.

This will, however, mean that at least for me, I'll be watching new planeswalkers a lot more closely to evaluate their long-term value. Arlinn, as mentioned, Dovin, Gideon 2, Saheeli, and Ajani 2 will all suffer greatly without cards from their blocks. Chandra 2 will be debatable as her life total and mana gains are higher than her Origins counterpart, but her focus on removing energy will mean she's possibly useless once Kaladesh is gone.
  • Szamsziel
    Actually I think Sahaeli still be good after kld rotation due to her colors and mana gain. Ultimate will be useless though. Aerlinn - may still have some usage (I play her without any WV) but it depend on cards in rg available.  Chandra 2 - meh. Dovin -he's 1St is mana gain which be valuable and 2 can support himself as terrible but potential draw engine.  I think he will see some action. Ajani2 - I'm  doubtful. Nissa 2 can be strong (converting gems and ultimate).I think Koth return in glory. Sorin will be reduced to ashes. He loose all staples - lone rider, Serene, campaign, Olivia, cheap removal. Nahiri - still gonna be strong (zoo).
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Arlinn's first ability is powerful, and the deck can win without any werewolves.   Liliana II's 1st ability is powerful, and the deck can win without Zombies (though there are some good zombies in Origins and possibly in upcoming sets).  Gideon II's 1st and 2nd abilities are powerful, and you can win with that deck without using any Allies. Sarkhan's 1st and second abilities are decent, and can be used without any Dragons in the deck.  And if you use Sarkhan's 2nd ability, you can then use the 3rd.

Replace "werewolf, zombie, allies, dragons" with "hamster" in their text and the planeswalkers still work fine. 

There are already plenty of events where you can only use a specific planeswalker, or a planeswalker of a particular color.  Any given planeswalker could be restricted from any given event.  Additionally, the new "Standard" format looks like it will be used for mid-week, 2 day events where you might win a booster pack if you hit progression, and maybe some gems and another booster pack if you get a good rank.

In recent events like Fate is Never Fun or Emergency Ostriches, you don't even need to get any secondary objectives or even win all of your games to get max progression.  If you lose games or miss objectives, the difference in your award might be getting a 3-card pack instead of a 5-card pack.

Fully optimized play is only going to really matter with players ranked in the top 5% or so, who might get a random rare from the current set.  If you're one of those players, you probably have other decks to play in an event like this rather than Arlinn, Gideon II and Liliana II. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Szamsziel said:
    Actually I think Sahaeli still be good after kld rotation due to her colors and mana gain. Ultimate will be useless though. Aerlinn - may still have some usage (I play her without any WV) but it depend on cards in rg available.  Chandra 2 - meh. Dovin -he's 1St is mana gain which be valuable and 2 can support himself as terrible but potential draw engine.  I think he will see some action. Ajani2 - I'm  doubtful. Nissa 2 can be strong (converting gems and ultimate).I think Koth return in glory. Sorin will be reduced to ashes. He loose all staples - lone rider, Serene, campaign, Olivia, cheap removal. Nahiri - still gonna be strong (zoo).
    Saheeli will only be good for her colors and mana. She'll create energy with nothing to use it on with her first ability, she will need energy on the board and you'll have to have constructs for her second, so that's out, and as you pointed out her third will do nothing without vehicles.

Dovin is the same story. His first ability will be good and his colors are still unique, but his later skills won't offer enough. (Maybe you're right about the second one, honestly I never use it)

Arlinn I still think will be bad, but maybe not since there will be less removal in general, so berserker might become valuable again.

Sorin I think can manage. Yes his removal will be gone, but I think he might be the new king of zombies with Amonket coming out. Lots of white and black zombies in this set.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Availability of cards: in paper magic the rotating system works (though it was -the- reason i left the game, i don't'like having my collection invalidated) because you can relatively easy get the cards you need. Buy some packs and then a few loose cards and you are set. In MTGPQ you need to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to
    -maybe- get that one card you need. My Ulvenwald Hydra cost more that a paper Black Lotus would.
    I'm not a huge spender myself, but I can see how people who have spent a lot of real money on cards might be concerned about the rotation of sets.

So here's a thing that happens in paper MTG when Standard rotates: a lot of players sell their old cards. Prices drop, of course, because the value of the cards goes down, but they are still able to sell them off on the secondary card market and get some cash back for them.

We know that a system is coming in for converting duplicates is coming... could that perhaps be extended to convert cards which rotate out of Standard, or is that a silly idea? Obviously, a player like me who owns a huge number of BFZ and SOI rares and mythics can't be allowed to dump all of them and instantly acquire all the rares and mythics in AKH on release. So conversion rates would need to be low... would they be so low that it wouldn't make a difference? Could a trading market actually be introduced for trading non-Standard legal cards

I haven't thought all this through. I'm just floating ideas.
    For anyone that thinks the new standard format hurts me, no it doesn't. I don't own any of the Big 5 OP SoI cards: Olivia, Pig, Ulrich, Bandit, Deploy. 

Limiting their use will actually help me place better, since all the times i lost my games, it's because of these 5 cards: Koth dropping Pigs and Olivias, or Arlinn with her Pig and Ulrich bombs. Or Nahiri with Deploying Olivias n Pigs...

My own big 5 OP SOI cards would be SP, BTB, SA, and, yes, Olivia and Deploy. Competition is really stiff tho.. I can't believe Ulvenwald Hydra didn't make my top 5.

P.S. We're referring to the sets which are legal in PvP events going forward as Standard format, right? Is there another official term for it which I missed somewhere?
  • Infested
    I think that it is difficult to see how some walkers will be played in the new format without seeing the new cards. 

Sorin might become a weird b/w zombie machine. The addition of cards changes a lot.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Arlinn's 1st ability is freaking godlike.  It turns one of your critters temporarily into Decimator of the Provinces.  All of a sudden, your mild-mannered 4/4 Ornithopter is bashing your opponent's creature for 8.  It's like a free removal spell, that you didn't even need to spend a deck slot on.