v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017

(..) and we have other plans in the works for how we'll be using both older card blocks and older events. I unfortunately have nothing more to share about this at the moment because it's in very, *VERY* early stages
    This is actually one of the points I liked most when reading through all of this - it sounds remotely like the idea linked in my signature, and if done properly will fix the problem with stall content! One question and one remark :
    - is the idea (special week reserved for older sets) going in the right direction?
    - please consider rewarding these events with cards from the sets of the events, not only from the latest (also in platinum!)
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    How do I only have 4 mythics in origins?  Out of my 32.  Huh.  That's gonna hurt.  And only 4 KLD/aer mythics.  Out of my 32.  Sigh.

dont read this as I'm not okay with the changes.  They all seem good.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Sounds like a great patch! More events with some rotation (at some point) so it's less stale, increasing of some rewards, restricted cards for some of the events to spice up the deckbuilding, new cards and new mechanics.

Looking forward to the new restricted playfield!
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    With the introduction of limited sets that can be used in the new PvE events, certain PW will be severely hampered. Have you thought of that? Arlinn with no werewolves since werewolves are SoI/EM, Lili2 will be severely nerfed too since the best zombies and Oath of Liliana are SoI/EM. 
    It seems Lilli2 will have many new zombies in ANK...
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    So will embalm make a token on the board if I have the same creature or will it reinforce that creature? Will it work similar to the card game where the creature is returned as a zombie? 
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Yvendros said:
    How do I only have 4 mythics in origins?  Out of my 32.  Huh.  That's gonna hurt.  And only 4 KLD/aer mythics.  Out of my 32.  Sigh.

dont read this as I'm not okay with the changes.  They all seem good.

Don't worry, your opponents will also be limited.

The only reason you need OP mythics is to compete against OP mythics.

• Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Some love it, some hate it, I have mixed feelings. I understand this is done to avoid power creep, but you guys really need to learn from Wizard on how you do this or you might end up from where you started PLUS upset a lot of people because they can no longer used their hard earned cards (I spent a LOT of crystals on SOI and BFZ since the cards there were extremely powerful...).
    With this being said, I wonder if Origins will be the "set to stay" - and I can see why - new players start with cards from there. Because if that's the case... Gaea's Revenge is going to be VERY difficult to deal with. It used to be the bane of my existence and even so I had Prism Array to deal with it, but now... well, good luck to you all! A 16/9 hexproof haste is going to win a lot of decks, in spite of its ridiculous cost.
    Other than that I am staying reserved as to this is for the best or not. Mythic-chase will still be a problem - it's just that now it encourages players to spend more and constantly (with every new set).
    I'm sad to see nothing is being done about drop rates and rethinking the boosters strategy - in spite of players complaining the 5x=300 with no discount approach being draconic and expensive.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby - as there is major change for deckbuilding rules - shouldn't be also changed tier mechanics? So only mastered cards from particular set are counted for tier in pvp events?

Rationality: having mostly mastered bfz and soi cards, missing all important mythics from origin and exclusive from kld - I will be really struggling in the tier I'll be assigned to if nothing change 
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    So is everyone assuming that these new Trials events will have a crystal buyin? @Brigby I don´t suppose you can share anything about that?

• rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Hi.

LakeStone said:

New Events

This release also brings new events!

Two new weekend events have been added to the game - Trial of Zeal, a PvE coalition challenge where you will face off against the Gods of Amonkhet, and Trial of Strength, where you will face off against other players using the new Amonkhet Planeswalkers.

So to play new Amonkhet Events we need Amonkhet Planeswalkers? I really hope no.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will this change to legal cards have an impact on free boosters? Will those continue to be random cards from any set, or will they be adjusted to only loot cards from currently relevant sets?

I foresee a long-term problem if they can loot any card a year or two down the road once it becomes likely to go days without getting a card that can be used due to restrictions. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Oh god, I really hoped this day wouldn't'come, but here it is.....

Rotating out blocks really really hurts players in several ways:

Some planeswalkers like Arlinn and lilli 2 are very much dependent of cards from a certain block, and so are the kaladesh ones. By rotating out their block you effectively rotate out the planeswalkers too. not good.

Availability of cards: in paper magic the rotating system works (though it was -the- reason i left the game, i don't'like having my collection invalidated) because you can relatively easy get the cards you need. Buy some packs and then a few loose cards and you are set. In MTGPQ you need to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to
    -maybe- get that one card you need. My Ulvenwald Hydra cost more that a paper Black Lotus would.

Stating we can use all cards in the  weekday pve event is nothing more than  a silly bandage, I'm'not interested in playing oath of the gatewatch over and over and over again. no thank you.

If block rotation is the only way to solve power creep, then at least fix the two above problems. If you can't...well.... i guess it's'the final straw....
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Szamsziel said:
    @Brigby - as there is major change for deckbuilding rules - shouldn't be also changed tier mechanics? So only mastered cards from particular set are counted for tier in pvp events?

Rationality: having mostly mastered bfz and soi cards, missing all important mythics from origin and exclusive from kld - I will be really struggling in the tier I'll be assigned to if nothing change 
    This.

Card mastery absolutely will need an adjustment under new mechanics. As of this writing, more than half of the available cards are from the soon to be excluded sets. With so much card mastery potentially deriving from them, the current tiers will lose much of their meaning under the new system, likely leading to worse disparities than there already are.

Also, since the Training Grounds are "the perfect place to test out your decks", they should also have an additional modality where only PvP standard decks can be played. Otherwise, they won't be perfect anymore, and the tagline will need to be reworked. No, seriously; the PvP metagame will be so shaken up by this, and decks generally weakened, that we will definitely need a place to test decks safe from the strong cards from the legacy sets to be able to figure out the new best combinations.

Overall, while I mourn the demise of so many great cards from the PvP landscape, I am definitely interested and curious how this tectonic shift will affect the meta. What I would definitely wish for, though, is to also have some legacy/nostalgia PvP events using the locked-out sets from time to time, maybe with rewards from the same sets. 

• speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    I think the introduction of standard is great and absolutely necessary. Of course cards will be excluded, but there is a reason why players have been asking for this for months. 

The new mechanics sound a little bit underwhelming at the moment but that will change once we see the cards (and we play with them of course).

We really need to see how the changes will actually turn out. I'm a bit skeptical but hopeful.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aye, @dologan explained my own thoughts better than me, @Brigby
    Please reply to his post and ignore mine :)

• morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    hmm not so sure about tie breaking system honestly the ties all get a reward untuil you have passed out all of the total cards? on some of these events it seems the tie for perfect scores is 100+ people all of them will get one? if not just the first 50 rest are stuck to bad so sad? and forget second place on getting anything at all.
  • Morphling
    Morphling Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Ornithopter is a great change imo. Remember the NOP blue node where u have to take 10 or less damage? This card will be perfect for that...
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    A lot of you mentioned the problem with the color mastery when certain sets are excluded (at least for PVP).

@Brigby
    Wouldn't that be a chance to think about a new system fro matchmaking?