v2.1 Release Notes *Updated (5/22/17)

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    That's why I think all objectives should be achievable using commons and uncommons.  Remember that boss which could give itself 50 life for 9 loyalty and most of its cards were big life gaining cards and it had over 300 starting life?  And the objective was "win in 4 rounds or less" or whatever.  Anyway, that's a stupid objective.  And one which would have never been implemented if the testing was done with commons and uncommons.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Now combine that Ornithopter with Lightning Grieves and you have a terror beyond Mythic proportions!

In all seriousness, I'm excited for limited if for no other reason than it will force us to put our pigs on a shelf and find new combos. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yay Amonkhet! The jury will be out on new events/any reward changes until we see them, of course. However, I'm intrigued by the changes caused by eliminating SOI/BFZ. We all knew this would probably happen at some point, and SOI/EMN in particular dominate the metagame.  It'll be nice to give KLD/AER decks some room to breathe.

However, I'm not really a fan of leaving Origins in the mix. We could all use a break from Hixus and TSN and Gaea's Revenge, among others.

I'm also not a fan of every PVP event being two days, either. I rather liked the one-and-done nature.

I'll end on a positive --yay tiebreaker change. Much needed. Kudos.

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    That's the theory.  The reality is that they'll sell you that set's version of pig for the everyday low, low price of $39.99.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does the introduction of standart have an impact on the current Tier System? 
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Sounds like fantastic changes! 

I avoided moving up into platinum, because I knew i could not compete with SoI cards that I did not have access to. This announcement now gives me a reason to move up, since my collection will actually be competitive now :D 

I assume the daily pvp events will cost crystals, same as current trials? 

Overall great stuff, hoping we avoid gamebreaking bugs, but sounds good, and god knows we have been missing good news lately! Kudos! 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    LakeStone said:

Hoping to get the cards out on Thursday or Friday to share.
    Excellent. I'll be looking for it on Thursday ;)
  • gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Tie breaker updates are great to hear (not that I ever really need to worry about that ha).

Always thought the dissenting voice on this approach was odd and glad that the team recognize this is a huge gain for players with minimal impact to the game as a whole. Nothing material about a handful of players getting improved rewards.

Kudos
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited May 2017
    @EDHdad @Infested

Those are certainly some good points, particularly now that set restrictions are being placed on PvP decks. I'll be sure to pass along this feedback to the developers prior to them visiting objectives.

@Laeuftbeidir

Would you mind explaining your question a bit more? Are you wondering whether or not you will drop down in tier if certain cards become restricted from PvP decks?

@Thuran

I believe the weekend PvP events they are referencing are events such as 'Emergency Ordinance' or 'Fate is Rarely Fair', and to my knowledge those shouldn't cost crystals, but I will double check with the developers on that.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    @Hibernum_JC will you monitor this thread for more than 1 day? 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry, it was just a quick thought - the current tier system is based on mastered cards. Since a lot of my cards are from the blocks I won't be able to use ( I really had back luck with kld mythics!) ,  I'll be way less competitive in pvp events than before. This will affect everyone, of course, but some more than others.. Maybe thinking about the tier might not have been the first logical step - An alternative matchmaking system on the other hand would make more sense now.
    But even if it gets harder to compete, I highly appreciate the introduction of Standart!
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    With the introduction of limited sets that can be used in the new PvE events, certain PW will be severely hampered. Have you thought of that? Arlinn with no werewolves since werewolves are SoI/EM, Lili2 will be severely nerfed too since the best zombies and Oath of Liliana are SoI/EM. 
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    @Hibernum_JC

Any chance of an Arlinn rebalance? Standard is a big nerf for her.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @blacklotus

I just wanted to jump in real quick and clarify that those restrictions will only be placed onto decks in PvP events from Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet. Most PvE events will be unchanged.

Having said that though, it's a good question, and I'll relay it to the developers so they know to keep those Planeswalkers in mind.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the introduction of limited sets that can be used in the new PvE events, certain PW will be severely hampered. Have you thought of that? Arlinn with no werewolves since werewolves are SoI/EM, Lili2 will be severely nerfed too since the best zombies and Oath of Liliana are SoI/EM. 
    Not to mention what happens to all the KLD PWs when all the energize cards drop out of the game.
  • blacklotus
    Brigby said:
    @blacklotus

I just wanted to jump in real quick and clarify that those restrictions will only be placed onto decks in PvP events from Kaladesh, Aether Revolt and Amonkhet. Most PvE events will be unchanged.

Having said that though, it's a good question, and I'll relay it to the developers so they know to keep those Planeswalkers in mind.
    which means that Arlinn and Liliana2 will probably not be used in Amonkhet specific PvP events since they are not competitive anymore. I know that can be said for Gideon2 with his ally specific abilities. At least he can summon ally knights with his 2nd ability. 
  • blacklotus
    shteev said:
    Not to mention what happens to all the KLD PWs when all the energize cards drop out of the game.
    Built-in Obsolence. How nice. Another reminder to me for Not.Another.Dime. :)
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    @Hibernum_JC
    Can we get word on if you plan on auto-converting dupes before implementing the new dupe system? I'd love to know if I can open my massive hoard of packs when 2.1 comes out or if I have to keep on with my poor collection in the face of a new standard environment I can't compete in since I have to keep holding my packs for maximum return later.
  • blacklotus
    For anyone that thinks the new standard format hurts me, no it doesn't. I don't own any of the Big 5 OP SoI cards: Olivia, Pig, Ulrich, Bandit, Deploy. 

Limiting their use will actually help me place better, since all the times i lost my games, it's because of these 5 cards: Koth dropping Pigs and Olivias, or Arlinn with her Pig and Ulrich bombs. Or Nahiri with Deploying Olivias n Pigs...