Catch up mechanic for shield resupply

Options
Starfury
Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
I'm coming up on day 730 and the Silver Surfer cover. According to the thread in the Tips forum, that means i'm about 550 days behind, and there's nothing I can do to ever reduce that - but I'm about to propose a way to change this.

Suppose I'm a Very Impatient Person, how about I get a catch up mechanism where as long as I'm less than a year behind schedule, I get two rewards per day. Between 1-2 years behind would get three rewards and so on.

It would give late joiners or returning players a chance to catch up with times and add some value to the VIP package perhaps even leading to increased sales.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I kind of starts to bother me that many suggestion around the forum that would be quality of life improvements are build around VIP program in the minds of the Original Posters. Do you really think that your suggestion will be implemented because you are a paying player and this will be a welcome entry requirement for the developers? How about solidarity with the general player base? Nope - immediately suggest it's only for VIP so maybe your chance to benefit from that will be bigger. 

Rant over. 
  • Starfury
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Magic said:
    Do you really think that your suggestion will be implemented because you are a paying player
    Just assume I'm someone who doesn't think 2 LT and 10k iso are worth 10 bucks a month and would welcome something to add some value to the VIP package.
    and this will be a welcome entry requirement for the developers?
    Of course.

Am I opposed to doing this for all players? No, of course not.
    Do I think it'll happen? Not really.
  • Starfury
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    I don't understand how you're 550 days behind, 
    behind what?
    You're at day 730, so far I'm on it, but then you lost me

I'm receiving the rewards that were added to the reward queue 550 days ago.

(Assuming I'll keep playing every day) 550 days from now I'll get the reward a day 1 player got today.

Or in other words, I'll never get any rewards that are less than 1.5 years old.
  • illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't know, things change, move on or adapt. Most of the player base adapts as disappointing as it is.  Everyone needs to have a stepping stone. We all walked the same path in this game.  If the rewards change, so be it. The same applied to Championing levels when the 3 to 4* character changed for some 3*'s and people were highly upset because of finishing a character or waiting for a long-awaited cover, now they have someone else they weren't expecting. There is no going back, nor should you be given something you didn't earn.

You're not behind, you're exactly where you should be for the day you're on. I'm on day 1037 and still get health packs. If that changes in the future - lets say 5cp. I'm not going to complain i want 5cp back. That will be someone else's gain. I may have better prizes to look at - someone on day 1037 will say - oh man i want that. I can't wait to get there - if i ever do.....
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is like saying you should get 2 advent calendars so that you can pop out 2 chocolates a day without running out by day 13.

I'm also a few days away from hitting 730. I started when the game was new (or at least new on Steam), but at some point I took time off. Because of this, I stopped staying "current" with Resupply.

My understanding of Resupply is that 1 unique day played = 1 new reward. It's a day counter. Its output is specifically a result of your tenure, regardless of the amount of money spent. As such, it's one of the only facets of this game that doesn't put free players at a disadvantage.

Allowing players to double up on Resupply rewards, for any reason whatsoever, would detract from the accomplishment of players who have actually stayed current since the beginning.

Under your plan: If a player actually is up to date on Resupply, and that player is also VIP, what does that player get? Future Resupply rewards for days that don't exist yet? Or is that player's VIP benefit just worth less, even though they paid the same as a player who showed up later?

Aside from a handful of covers spaced pretty far apart (often placed on milestone days), what is so great about Resupply that warrants needing to "catch up"? ISO, HP, CP, health packs, and tokens can all be gained by other means. The VIP program alone already gives you all of that (substituting healing speed over actual packs). If your beef is that you just aren't getting enough of those resources from VIP, then it would make more direct sense to just say "VIP payouts should be higher" without having to involve Resupply. What are you gaining by "catching up" other than misrepresenting how long you've been playing?

If the VIP program was going to have any affect on Resupply, it should either substitute scheduled Elites over scheduled Standards, or maybe shift the probability of rewards on the "random" days.
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think the point in saying that one is _behind_ at day 7 hundred-whatever is that new character's can't or haven't been added to the resupply retroactively.  So on the one hand we have vaulting and the idea from the devs stated in the 7 answers that they want us to focus on building up new characters.  But on the other hand we have an enourmous percentage of players who will not see any of those new characters in their resupply until 1, 2, or even 3 years later.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moss04 said:
    I think the point in saying that one is _behind_ at day 7 hundred-whatever is that new character's can't or haven't been added to the resupply retroactively.  So on the one hand we have vaulting and the idea from the devs stated in the 7 answers that they want us to focus on building up new characters.  But on the other hand we have an enourmous percentage of players who will not see any of those new characters in their resupply until 1, 2, or even 3 years later.
    Well that's another issue altogether. The daily resupply was horridly out of date even back when clearance levels were introduced. But yes, it doesn't help that the cover rewards that players are pretty much all no longer available in tokens. Certainly all the 4*s.