Training grounds suggestion

Options
2»

Comments

• Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Infinite amount of mana runes? Really? You know the amount of effort and energy needed to get a decent amount of mana runes?
    What do you think people have been doing around here?! Once again, I think healing potions are more helpful to newer players or for very specific PWs than for all. Besides, this argument is completely invalidated in events where you have a finite number of charges (and where these planeswalkers HP oscillations are the real problem)! 
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Gunmix25

Sticking to the original topic of suggestions for Training Grounds, it's certainly interesting of an idea for infinite healing potions once progression has been reached. 

Just to play [insert-religious-entity]'s advocate real quick: Would this not be exploited though if players could continuously play and acquire theoretically an infinite number of Mana Runes since they won't ever run out of health?
    Anyone who wants to exploit TG for infinite runes already can if they have like 3 walkers. The only players who would really benefit are super new players.

Honestly, it is extremely rare for me to ever run out of health potions anyways just playing normally.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the very least, we shouldn't have to use health potions in nodes with fixed planeswalkers. Some people have short windows in which to play games. Why not be courteous and let people start each match at full health?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    At the very least, we shouldn't have to use health potions in nodes with fixed planeswalkers. Some people have short windows in which to play games. Why not be courteous and let people start each match at full health?
    I 100% agree with this. Our opponent always starts at full health, so why can't we?
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Gunmix25

Sticking to the original topic of suggestions for Training Grounds, it's certainly interesting of an idea for infinite healing potions once progression has been reached. 

Just to play [insert-religious-entity]'s advocate real quick: Would this not be exploited though if players could continuously play and acquire theoretically an infinite number of Mana Runes since they won't ever run out of health?
      @Brigby theoretically... yes they could.  I decided to give Training grounds a good run for the money for fight after fight after fight and taking what you said into account.  Here is what I came up with. 

1. Like many that had pointed out in here,  a player with at least three PW can rotate every fight and keep going while the other two heal in the background.  But, sometimes this isn't the case and might fight ends quickly for one reason or another and I need to use a potion. On three different occasions I used up all three and I needed more.  I really didn't because I have quite a few PW to bring up to the match but I was doing my best to imitate a new player.  You get the gist. 

2. I changed out decks every hour for creativity and attempts to improve or test out combos while sticking to three PW. Yeah.... I drank potions like a fish gulps water.  I expected this and if there were unlimited potions I would've kept going and going in attempts to improve.  Sidebar: since the W-L ratio resets every event there's really no penalty for trying and failing in various deck tests and this after match time would be valuable for new players for this very reason.  

3. Infinite mana runes. Well I used a level 52 Nahiri and quickly estimated that I would need around 40+ battles to level once with runes. Even if my fights were at 3 minutes a piece that's at least two solid hours.  I've got 13 PW at this point... if I want to farm 100 mana runes to level them.... I'm in for some looooooooooong hours going that route. While this maybe a good thing for new players,  it's detrimental for leveling for more advanced. Making Training grounds apt for testing decks for both new and older players.  I've been playing every event since Friday and I can gain bigger chunks of Mana Runes then in training grounds but they are harder to earn. 

The initial point of training grounds is there.  But it needs some polishing.  The daily 15 crystals after earning four wins is good thing as it's still 15 crystals closer to purchasing card packs to expand one's inventory.  But there isn't any incentative in training grounds after that point. you said that training grounds is supposed to be a place for players to test decks and experiment a little in a less intense environment.  Then by all means, free up potions AFTER they earn the daily awards.  One still needs to win the daily four before getting infinite potions, methinks. 

Thanks for taking a moment to consider this.  
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll add it to the Feature Suggestions list I have compiled, and I'll pass it along to the developers in my next report.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Infinite potions wouldn't work, because you could just enter a PW on low life into Training Grounds, use an infinite potion, then use that PW in other events. Mildly irritating way to get around ever having low life. 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    actually I did misread something.

*please delete this post*

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    Infinite potions wouldn't work, because you could just enter a PW on low life into Training Grounds, use an infinite potion, then use that PW in other events. Mildly irritating way to get around ever having low life. 
    You have a good point. One that can be prevented by a couple possible restrictions.

1.  Any PW selected to play a match in training grounds with existing low life triggers a reset of the infinity potions as if the event restarted forcing the player to purchase from the timed potion pool.  The penalty for this is that the player must play four matches again to reset the infinity potions. 
    Or... 
    2. The infinity potions reward are coded to only work with PW who lost health in training grounds.  If a new PW with low health is slotted in in an attempt to take advantage of the infinity reward, the potions require the player to use a potion from the allotted 3 or less that the player actively has in his potion pool. 

Personally I like #1 for simplicity. I think it's fair.