* Storm (Modern) * [PRE 2014-07]

Comments

• Personally I use 5/3/5 over 5/5/3 because while Mistress is great, when I do use it it'll be several turns befroe there's enough environmental tiles for Mistress to be worth using again, and by then I'd have already generated 7+ reds. So I dont really have a good reason to put Mistress at 5 and I get the exact same result at 3. so I'd rather buff her black so that it'd fill the board and tac on 300 damage ever turn. you say they conflict, but damage is damage, you have to match tiles anyway so there's no reason not to use black when you can, especially when 2 uses fills the entire board with strike tiles.
  • Meh, I just try to use Mistress first, so making 2 turns or even 1 turn to get red is invaluable.
  • Blackinu wrote:
    Personally I use 5/3/5 over 5/5/3 because while Mistress is great, when I do use it it'll be several turns befroe there's enough environmental tiles for Mistress to be worth using again, and by then I'd have already generated 7+ reds. So I dont really have a good reason to put Mistress at 5 and I get the exact same result at 3. so I'd rather buff her black so that it'd fill the board and tac on 300 damage ever turn. you say they conflict, but damage is damage, you have to match tiles anyway so there's no reason not to use black when you can, especially when 2 uses fills the entire board with strike tiles.
    You've never used her with a teamate that shares red AP?

Even standalone, Mistress -> Lightning Storm -> Mistress is a pretty good combo.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Storm with other teammates that use red AP, and even with red at a 7ap cost, I've never had a problem using the other char's red power and Mistress multiple times. Her green power and regular matches give me that much red AP. Occasionally I might have to wait one turn longer than I'd like to fire off Mistress again, but 9 times out of 10 I have more than enough red AP to use for both characters.
  • It's not occasionally 1 turn, it's always 1 turn (minus match-4s and cascades). And multiple casts in a match, that becomes 2 turns.

If anything, I'd go 5/4/4 if you really cherish Hailstorm that much.
  • People that favour 5-3-5 probably play against lower level enemies where making an extra turn doesn't matter much. With tougher enemies, a cheaper board-shuffling ability becomes life and death.

I'd use Mistress even for a single env. tile if the resulting cascade could give me the extra green AP or other invaluable AP. Red is still very situational for me, I simply lack good red users so far (barring Wolverine and Thor, but they aren't helping much against lvl 230s unless buffed, and they are rarely buffed), so why not Mistress the board to my liking and, more importantly, survival and victory?
  • mags1587
    locked wrote:
    People that favour 5-3-5 probably play against lower level enemies where making an extra turn doesn't matter much. With tougher enemies, a cheaper board-shuffling ability becomes life and death.

This is true in my case. If I'm facing a tough team I'll use my 2* and 3* characters. I occasionally pull out M. Storm when in the desert, but otherwise, I only use M. Storm in 1* tourneys and when I'm playing around in prologue missions or facing seed teams in lightning round tourneys.
  • locked wrote:
    Please try out the 5-5-3 build. Her covers are abundant anyway, if you're unhappy, you can go back to 5-3-5.

Good point! I used my red and green covers to switch to 5/5/3. I don't use M.Storm very often, so it will probably be a while before I figure out if I like this new build better.
  • Let me ask you guys a question.

Suppose you are fighting in PVP as offense against a lv 50 M Storm.

Are you going to be worried about the one with the 5 AP Red Mistress, that could possible score a few cascades if she is lucky?

Or are you more worried about the Storm that can lay down 12 more attack tiles for 84 more DOT per turn?

Ask yourself that question. Then ask, which Storm would I rather have on defense?
  • mags1587
    Well, at least in the 1* tournament, I was more worried about M. Storm using Hailstorm than Mistress. Her attack tiles killed my team more often than her cascades. That incremental damage just ate away at my health and would sometimes be the difference in me finishing off the team or getting killed. On the other hand, I'm not really afraid of her red power -- especially in the hands of the AI. I've never seen it result in that big of a cascade (or an endless loop between her green and red). Also, sometimes when the AI sets off her red power, it will set up a very nice match-5 for me.

Now, that's in the 1* tournament. In any other PvP with the full range of characters, I'm not going to be especially worried about her Hailstorm. Mistress, though, especially in the desert environment, that could be a problem, especially if there's someone on the team with a high-damage green, like GSBW.
  • Well, I switched from 5/3/5 to 5/5/3 to try it out for a while and see what I like better. The abundance of storm covers means that it's not really a problem to switch back and forth.
  • IMO 5/4/4 is a decent build, you want that second match to turn on Mistress. The 5th point is somewhat overkill.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    I have found that modern storm is actually quite useful even on high level goon battles. Meaning battles where there are no actual villains present; just henchmen who lay down countdown tiles. Try modern storm/OBW/Daken combo for those fights and you will find that even level 230 goons are not that scary. Once you get the machine rolling it will be difficult to lose. Storms red skill will give a nice jump start on the fight especially on oasis and jungle maps. Green skill will clear countdown tiles and generate ap. Black skill will deal good damage when combined with Dakens strike tiles. OBW can delay countdown tiles indefinitely with her blue when storm is feeding her and steal ap with her other skills. Daken is there so the match does not take forever to finish but is not strictly necessary. Thor could be good too for finishing the fight and generating green. 5/5/3 build is the best for modern storm at this stage as the black skills damage will be pitiful against enemies with massive health pools.

While modern storm is imo too squishy to be good at pvp she still has her uses so consider saving your modern storms even when you graduate past one star characters.
  • Easily the best, if not in the top 3 1* Characters.

She is, for the cost(AP & IRL), one of the best board manipulators in the game. Esp. In this post-Thor-nerf MPQ crazy world. If she is in your squad, the board should NEVER reset itself. EVER.

Also, most other posters are right. 5 in red is unncessary.
    Or, at least, they were right. Now that R48 happened and we are all stuck in this piecemeal-boosting MPQ world, having MotE go off at 5AP might be worth reconsidering. The main idea being that you fire off MotE after a single regular Red match.

So anyway, yeah. More <3s for ModStorm!
  • IHatePVP wrote:
    Easily the best, if not in the top 3 1* Characters.

She is, for the cost(AP & IRL), one of the best board manipulators in the game. Esp. In this post-Thor-nerf MPQ crazy world. If she is in your squad, the board should NEVER reset itself. EVER.

Also, most other posters are right. 5 in red is unncessary.
    Or, at least, they were right. Now that R48 happened and we are all stuck in this piecemeal-boosting MPQ world, having MotE go off at 5AP might be worth reconsidering. The main idea being that you fire off MotE after a single regular Red match.

So anyway, yeah. More <3s for ModStorm!

And considering that MofE generates env AP, which can feed into a character like say Black Panther whose Yellow creates strike tiles 1/15 env...that would be a decent pairing early on to try for BP imo. It would be a long term combo option but she is just too darn squishy

ive played with 5/3/5 and 5/5/3 and id have to say I prefer the ladder, which basically turns her into an AP battery. Cant remember a time when the MofE didn't cause a cascade.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    On offense facing M.Storm I just try to make 4 red matches and Headbutt her twice. Sayonara!
  • El Zoof
    El Zoof Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Modern Storm 5/5/3, OBW 2/5/2, and Thor 4/5/1. Stick them in the forest.

I call it Team Fintlewoodlewix. Yes, Modern Storm is kinda squishy, but that doesn't matter a bean if the opposing team never gets a turn.
  • mStorm is the only one capable of dealing with a level 230 Invisible Woman, providing she has good support, of course. Meaning OBW and Thor.

I call the match 5's that result in a crit after a lightning strike Funky Cold Medinas. Initially it was that I was looking for a funky match and it evolved from there.
  • You can spec anything other than 5/5/3 if you want to be ****. 5 red is a game-changer. 5 versus 6 red is a game-changer. I can't count the number of times the difference has mattered. 50+? Match 5 first turn into mistress? GG.
  • So here's a question: why would you use her green at all, if your Thor is strong enough that his green means game over?
This discussion has been closed.