Your advice on the 5* Transition

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
Transitioning to 5* Land has been on my mind a lot lately and I don't know the best long term plans to make.  I have a few ideas though, but wanted some advice.  I imagine that other players are in my same situation, so this should be beneficial to them as well.  First, here's where I'm at on day 694 (I started hoarding LT and champing 4*s about 6 months ago):

73 LT + 1289 CP = 124 Pulls (my goal is 280+)

5*s - Rostered 12, total covers 33, Silver Surfer is highest with 6 covers
4*s (vintage) - Champed 10, others are coming along
4*s (latest) - Champed 2 (Wasp, Medusa), others are between 7 - 11 covers
3*s - All Champed
2*s - Farming

Let me say that I know some players don't want to transition because of PVE scaling and PVP matches with Whales.  Nevertheless, I still see 5* Land as the future to avoid getting left behind.  Of course, these are long term plans (3 to 8 months), since I'm no where near the transition now.

Plan #1: Continue to champ most of the latest 4*s as fast as possible (3 months), then start hoarding all ISO and CP until I reach about 280 LL pulls (3 months more).  Open the hoard; champ all of the latest 4*s and my new 5*s; then start hoarding again for another 280+ pull in the future (7 months).  I like this plan.

Plan #2: Continue to champ most of the latest 4*s as fast as possible (3 months), then save some ISO and open my hoard of about 200 pulls 3 weeks later, reap the 4* Champ rewards but only partially cover the latest 5*s.  Soft cap those 5*s to 360.  Then start hoarding again for a future 280+ pull (8 months).  This plan is good in the short term only. 

Plan #3: Continue to champ most of the latest 4*s as fast as possible (3 months), then slow down but continue to open a few Classics every week, adding champ levels and covering new 4*s.  Continue to slowly build the hoard until I reach 280+ pulls (5 months more).  Open the hoard; champ the remaining 4*s and my new 5*s; then continue to slowly cover new 4*s and hoard again.  This plan is the most steady, but also the slowest. 

**There's a good chance that the mechanics of the game will change in the future, so these plans may be pointless (but I still want to have a plan anyway).** 

Comments

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Hoarding is the only way to substantially improve your chances to cover a 5* to a worthwhile degree, you have two options:

Latest Legends, 5* pull rate is 1 in 7, across 3 heroes

or

New 5* feature store, pull rate is 1 in 10 across 1 hero

Downside with the featured 5* store is that you cant use hoarded LTs...

It takes a while to build up a stockpile of LT pulls between tokens and CP, FAR longer than it takes to stockpile appreciable amounts of ISO, and the only 4*s that will be helpful to you when you pull your hoard are the ones in the current featured 12, which are likely NOT the ones currently featured now (unless you amass CP quite a bit faster than I do)

I'd advise stockpiling ISO as well as LT and CP now in prep for blowing a hoard at around 300LT pulls...  if you don't have progress on the 12 featured 4*s that means upwards of 5.5 Mil ISO needed to champ 2 5*s and all the 4*s so you wont have loss in covers you have to sell.... 5.5M ISO is faster to amass than 300 pulls, once you hit the ISO target, spend on whatever 4*s you want.

The featured 5* is tempting, its the statistically cheapest route to cover just one 5* but you cant use LTs, and you end up pulling less 5* covers overall, I'd only do it if you absolutely need to have a specific 5* can feel able to make that judgment very early on.

Theres probably a happy medium with ISO spent while you hoard, depends on your rates...  and the sad fact is that the 4*s about to be retired will be useless to you in terms of saving covers when you get a big enough hoard to pull :(

Good luck! 

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would hoard LTs and CP and open when you have enough for 400 or more Latest Legends, when it's three latest legends where you're excited about all of them.

I don't have the patience to do that myself, but I applaud those who can, knowing they'll probably progress much faster than I ever will. Oh, well.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll need enough Iso to Champ any 5* you cover to use their dupes, and you'll need the iso to Champ the 12 most current 4*'s that you'll pull a boatload of dupes of as well.
  • bbigler
    JVReal said:
    You'll need enough Iso to Champ any 5* you cover to use their dupes, and you'll need the iso to Champ the 12 most current 4*'s that you'll pull a boatload of dupes of as well.
    Right, I've considered the ISO costs as well in my plans.  My production rates are about 280,000 ISO, 2500 HP, 140 CP, 2-3 LT per week.  I don't want to miss champing 4*s before they're vaulted, so once I have enough champed in latest to give me 3 months lead time, I'll start hoarding ISO as well as all CP.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

If you don't want to go all in with hoarding, a more...  moderate plan would just be to pull until you have 13 covers on the 2 4*s next to retire out of the top 12....   when you get enough ISO to champ all the 4*s and at least 2 5*s (somewhere around 5.5M) and over about 300 pulls, go nuts.

I'm not doing that, because it takes substantially longer before I get to cover the 5*s well, and I was waiting for information promised us about possible "fixes" for the vaulting issue.  I'll have to re-evaluate, but in the mean time I'm hoping the mechanics change while I wait...

• TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    My current ISO projects:
    Champ C&D by the time I have covers dying on the vine for them.
    Champ 5Strange
    start my second generation of 3* champs
    rebuild my 2* champ farm.

LTs get pulled as they come in until Thanos rotates out, then I'll reevaluate whether to hoard or not once 5SL starts to see some use (or not).

CP pulls happen on Classics because 4* champ levels make LTs and other assets, and the and other assets are more useful in hand now.
  • bbigler

If you don't want to go all in with hoarding, a more...  moderate plan would just be to pull until you have 13 covers on the 2 4*s next to retire out of the top 12....   when you get enough ISO to champ all the 4*s and at least 2 5*s (somewhere around 5.5M) and over about 300 pulls, go nuts.

I'm not doing that, because it takes substantially longer before I get to cover the 5*s well, and I was waiting for information promised us about possible "fixes" for the vaulting issue.  I'll have to re-evaluate, but in the mean time I'm hoping the mechanics change while I wait...

In 3 months I should have Agent Venom through to Iron Fist champed in Latest, then I can fully hoard for 3 more months and 5 of them will rotate out, leaving 2 champs left (Coulson, IF) when I open the hoard in November.  I should have sufficient ISO to champ the remaining 4*s and new 5*s. 

But I've thought of another plan: Champ 4*Cage in the next 2 weeks, then start hoarding to 280 pulls, which should take 4 months.  Just before Carol leaves the pool (9/24), I open the hoard with about 5 Million ISO saved.  This plan is faster, but sacrifices champing Gwenpool, Blade, Venom before being vaulted, which could be acceptable.