A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    Jarvind said:
    @Brigby, my dude, the people like my guide! Increase the character limit by a lot so I can fix it and get back to maintaining it please? Thanks bro, you're the bestest.
    Is that why it stops at #39? I was wondering if my computer just wouldn't load the whole thing....
    Yep. We're up to like, 43? 44? But the new forum character limit sliced off the end of the post and I haven't been able to fix it.
  • mrb
    mrb Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Jarvind said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Jarvind said:
    @Brigby, my dude, the people like my guide! Increase the character limit by a lot so I can fix it and get back to maintaining it please? Thanks bro, you're the bestest.
    Is that why it stops at #39? I was wondering if my computer just wouldn't load the whole thing....
    Yep. We're up to like, 43? 44? But the new forum character limit sliced off the end of the post and I haven't been able to fix it.
    This is driving me nuts! I just wanna reeead. Why won't you let me reeeeead?!

I can't rest until I've read Mostly Accurate assessments of Mr. Fantastic and Agent Venom.
  • Jarvind
    mrb said:
    Jarvind said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Jarvind said:
    This is driving me nuts! I just wanna reeead. Why won't you let me reeeeead?!

I can't rest until I've read Mostly Accurate assessments of Mr. Fantastic and Agent Venom.
    Spoilers: they aren't that great, although Mr. F is way better than he used to be.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Devil Dino and Howard we are at 49
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, at least the good ones are at the top? Sorry Venom. Even the post character limit hates you.
  • BruJr2
    BruJr2 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    I have to agree with Tile Toppler, I think Invisible Woman is still ranked a little too low (even considering your shift in the 3/27 update).

With her team-invis, she has also become an extremely effective cure for stun - for 7AP, she can actually wake up the rest of the team and make them invulnerable for a bit. You did not note that in your description, and this is huge.
  • Jarvind
    edited May 2017
    BruJr2 said:
    I have to agree with Tile Toppler, I think Invisible Woman is still ranked a little too low (even considering your shift in the 3/27 update).

With her team-invis, she has also become an extremely effective cure for stun - for 7AP, she can actually wake up the rest of the team and make them invulnerable for a bit. You did not note that in your description, and this is huge.
    Wait, going invisible overrides stun? I didn't even know that. DANG SON U SMRT

Anyway I'll include it when I finally get around to fixing this. I was given permission to post it as a PDF but my formatting skills are sorely lacking.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I look forward to your scathing review of Carnage's current build! >:)
  • Königsmacher
    Königsmacher Posts: 61 Match Maker
    This guide certainly helped me with character builds and roster decisions, so I'm really happy to hear that a possible fix for the formatting is coming. Plus I am curious to see what you think of the new characters and rebalances.

Hi everybody.
  • mrb
    mrb Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Does text hidden behind spoiler tags not count toward post length? Asking because the Crash of the Titans post seems gigantic and doesn't cut off. Maybe that's not the ideal solution though ... :neutral:
  • Jarvind
    mrb said:
    Does text hidden behind spoiler tags not count toward post length? Asking because the Crash of the Titans post seems gigantic and doesn't cut off. Maybe that's not the ideal solution though ... :neutral:
    Good idea, but just tried and it doesn't work. Seems like maybe it had to be spoilered pre-migration or something.

I can't even edit the current text because apparently what's already there is 40,000 characters beyond the limit. I don't understand it at all.

Frankly I don't know if I'll ever get around to updating this thing as I'd have to create a new post and then reserve about 15 posts after the first in order to ensure I had enough room - and then if I ever run out again I'll have to start over from scratch again. It's a very irritating state of affairs that could easily be remedied if the character limit was just increased, but @Brigby doesn't want to do it.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    mrb said:
    Good idea, but just tried and it doesn't work. Seems like maybe it had to be spoilered pre-migration or something.

I can't even edit the current text because apparently what's already there is 40,000 characters beyond the limit. I don't understand it at all.

Frankly I don't know if I'll ever get around to updating this thing as I'd have to create a new post and then reserve about 15 posts after the first in order to ensure I had enough room - and then if I ever run out again I'll have to start over from scratch again. It's a very irritating state of affairs that could easily be remedied if the character limit was just increased, but @Brigby doesn't want to do it.
    Did he actually tell you he couldn't/didn't want to increase the text limit?!?!
  • Jarvind
    Milk Jugz said:
    Jarvind said:
    mrb said:

Did he actually tell you he couldn't/didn't want to increase the text limit?!?!
    Yes. The reason cited was "strain on the server."
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe removing the image links would help? Or else just switch it out for a link to a Google Sheet or something, perhaps?

It's quite irritating that they won't let people fix these posts that actually help with gameplay.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:

Yes. The reason cited was "strain on the server."
    Well even if that's the official answer, it doesn't mean it was his decision.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @bigsmooth @Milk Jugz

As Jarvind mentioned, I unfortunately had to deny the request of increasing the character count due to the potential stress and strain it could place on the server. 

Having said that though, we currently have the option available for maintainers to upload documents to their posts, that players can then directly view. With this method, maintainers have as much space as they need for their guides (or at least as much as their chosen file format offers)

• d90
    d90 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Looks like the transition to new forums chopped off a bunch of the 4's from the list. 
  • blahblahyoutoo
    blahblahyoutoo Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Wasp should be much higher IMO.
    Stun/damage, cheap special tile amping, AP stealing all in one.
  • arthur555five
    arthur555five Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    d90 said:
    Looks like the transition to new forums chopped off a bunch of the 4's from the list. 
    Yep, I could not find the end of the list either. Please reup.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I appreciate the work you've done in making this list, please keep it going and updated.  I have a few comments on your rankings (I'll scrutinize the top 10 the most), but first a question:

Are you rating their usefulness based on both PVE and PVP?  Some characters are great in one format but not in the other.  In general, I agree with your rankings except for the following.....

#2 Peggy - I use her all the time in both PVE and PVP, I think she's better than Iceman, especially since people will use her unboosted in PVP.  She's the complete package.

#4 Punisher - I only have him at 10 covers, so I'll take your word on it that he's amazing.  He looks slow to me, though.  What's your perfect team with him?

#8 Hulkbuster - I really don't think he's top 10 anymore, but probably top 20.  His powers are just average now compared to others characters.  Even when he's boosted, I rarely use him.

#9 Jean Grey - She could go up a spot or two.  Her purple power to remove up to 6 enemy specials AND deal lots of damage is amazing!  Especially given all the good special tile creators we have now (Carol, Medusa, Carnage, Wasp, Peggy, Coulson, Hawkeye, Thanos, 4*Rocket, 4*Cage, need I go on?).

#10 Quake - She should go down a couple spots.  She's very useful, but not in all situations.  I really like her board shake and cascades, but her yellow isn't always useful.

#11 Thoress - she has some real power, but Kate Bishop and Moon Knight are better overall.  Thoress suffers from being slow and I don't think we should assume that IM40 will always be with her.

#15 Winter Soldier - I don't have him champed, but he looks very mediocre to me, not top 20. 

#17 X-23 - Her usefulness is basically in true healing......so not dying, but not helping that much either.  We shouldn't rate her based on being paired with IM40.  So, I don't think she's top 20.

#20 Star Lord - This guys rocks! I use him all the time.  He's a complete package: overall cost reduction, red offense and purple defense.  Ever since I champed him 6 months ago, I've used him everyday.  Even before he was champed, I used him, which I think is the sign of a truly great character.  He could be ranked #10, since he's not all purpose, but close to it.

#22 Antman - he's better than War Machine, I think.  Cheap powers that create strikes and attack tiles, for double dipping.  Stealing specials is very useful too.

#28 Wasp - PVP has shown how useful she is now.  Again, another complete package character: AP stealing, cheap but strong protect and strike tiles, plus a good hit & stun power.  Alone, she's very solid.  In the right team, she's killer.  She deserves a rank around #10.

#29 Gwenpool - I like all 3 of her powers, which should at least put her in the top 20.  She has strong offense in green, strong defense in black and utility offense in purple.  That purple is amazing given it's versatility, the only problem is memorizing or looking up a code list.  I think she deserves somewhere in the top 20.

#30 ProfX - We all should know what happens when he goes invisible with special tiles out....you lose.  He's scary enough to make me kill him first in a match.  He's not top 10, but definitely top 20.

#34 Carnage - This guy is scary and should be ranked at least #20 for the benefits of PVP alone.  Because of Medusa, he's now playable (for or against) but that doesn't reduce his prowess.  My future dream Shield Sim team is Carnage, Medusa and 4*Rocket.

#39 Sam Wilson - you're probably right in his ranking, but there may come a day when his defense is highly desired, with a single nuke ability - like Powerman.  As new characters get more powerful with quicker damage, defensive characters may become more practical.  Plus, he has tile boosting....everyone likes that lately.