Explain benefits of hoarding to me please

Tintaiwan
Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
Hi,

I see a lot of people talking about hoarding.  Can someone explain the benefit of hoarding?

What do you hoard and why?

Checking on abbreviations a sec.  CP- (command points) LT (legendary tokens?) 

really curious,

TT
Tagged:

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Top two reasons for me are
    1. Ensure you invest your resources into getting a 5* to 13 covers versus a bunch of them under covered and unusable. 
    2. Reduce 4* cover wastage, especially if you're also saving iso to champ the latest 12
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    There are a number of different reasons to hoard, but people mostly hoard CP (yes you are correct, this means command points), although some also hoard HP and there is also the hoarding of iso-8.

I think the main two reasons for hoarding CP are:

• To deal with ios-8 shortages.  There is little point to drawing new covers until you have sufficient iso-8 to level then.  Vaulting has magnified the iso-8 shortage issue for longer term players by taking two thirds of the 4* characters out of the pool.  I now try to hoard CP until I have enough iso-8 to level 2 to 3 4* characters from level 70 to 270 all at the same time.
    • To get enough CP to be able to draw 13 covers of each of the 3 latest 5* characters at once.  With so many 5* characters now in the classic tokens the only real way to reliably build a 5* is to binge on latest token draws.

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Another thing a lot of people hoard is taco tokens. I think this is mostly in order to have a better shot at getting a top reward and/or a 4* cover they want.
  • Tintaiwan
    Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
    So mainly to target a newer character?  

Do you guys just hoard. CP and Legendary tokens?   Any point in Standard/Elite/Heroic Token hoarding?  

What about Deadpool Daily credits?  (do they expire?)

Still not completely convinced.  Most of my 5 stars are older.  
    How long do you guys hoard?  When has it worked for you and how? 

thanks for sharing
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    • Deadpool credits (the one that let you drop Mega Whales) don't expire.
    • Depends on you roster, if you are a 2*->3* transitioner (you are champing 3*), hoarding Elite or Heroic are also a viable choice.
    • Most people, I think, hoard CP and LT since they are more difficult to obtain. So better make it worth.
    • How long to hoard depends on your goal and your CP/LT earn rate. For examples, if you want to move to 5* game play, you need to hoard until you can pull 300+ latest Legendary to have a chance to fully cover the 5* in the pack before it's moved out and making covering it practically impossible. If you hoard just to wait for unusable cover rate to drop, a few months may be sufficient.
    • I've been hoarding for two months now (or 3?) (1380 CP and 45 LT) In my case, due to vaulting, my unusable draw rate was like 80% at one point (I didn't have ISO to champ the 4* if I pull a new one), now it has dropped to ~30% since I champed a couple of 4* during these two months. If I kept spending CP/LT, back then it was more likely to be unusable covers. If I keep hoarding for another month, Spider Woman (champed) and 4* Luke Cage (unchamped, fully covered) will be rotated out. So my unusable cover rate will drop by 1/13 = 7%, while during this time I can work on champing other 4* in the Latest that are not champed yet (I can do like 1-2 4* a month). So that next months, the rate will drop 20% further. It does hurt my roster progression a bit, but I think it's still better than wasting those CP/LT by turning them to iso.

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    It also builds character.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Tintaiwan said:
    So mainly to target a newer character?  

Do you guys just hoard. CP and Legendary tokens?   Any point in Standard/Elite/Heroic Token hoarding?  

What about Deadpool Daily credits?  (do they expire?)

Still not completely convinced.  Most of my 5 stars are older.  
    How long do you guys hoard?  When has it worked for you and how? 

thanks for sharing
    @Hendross did some analyses of hoarding to cover 5*s a while back. Here is one link: http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/55098/so-you-want-to-whale-latest-legendaries/p1 

It'll be somewhat better now, with a 5% bonus hero rate, but the numbers shouldn't be much different. 

But you mentioned that most of your 5 stars are older. Here is the other analysis by Hendross that you may find relevant -  http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/57146/you-dont-want-to-whale-classics  (note the thread title)

Hendross, if you ever get tired of me linking your analysis just let me know. :) 
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

I think there are various reasons people hoard.

Personally I do because I do not want to waste a 4 star cover. I do not have enough iso to level all the toons I have left and so if I hoard ledge tokens and cp I eliminate most of the chance of wasting a cover.

IM an older player too so out of the 48 possible 4 stars I have 41 champed and im still having trouble with covers.

A lot of people in my alliance save up enough cp and ledge tokens for 250 pull sof the latest packs. This is more efficient because currently custy service will swap dupe covers you have for latest 5 stars. So it’s another chance for a cover.

That’s what im currently doing. Ill level up all my 7 4 stars I have left as high as I can get them wait till I get to 250 pulls then blow the lot.

• jaworeq
    jaworeq Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    astrp3 said:
    Another thing a lot of people hoard is taco tokens. I think this is mostly in order to have a better shot at getting a top reward and/or a 4* cover they want.
    Does taco token hoarding still work? I just tried to open some I have hoarded and they don't seem to count towards current vault.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Hoarding sounds like playing the boring game. The maniacal game. That's OK but that's not for me. 
    For this simple reason I sell all my 5* characters and will stop playing once I'm supposed to enter 5* transition (but I have almost all recent and upcoming 4* left before that happens). I flip open whatever I can and enjoys the pace of which my roster is growing.
    I'm also thinking the game won't survive another 2 years, which is about when I'm supposed to be a 5* player. Bummer to have hoarded and saved up and been frustrated over tinykitty 5* draw rates only to have the game retire when it's time to beat the big drum.

I don't Think there's any harm in rostering the fivestar characters you do happen to get, it's not like you need to level them once they are on your roster so you really only lose out on a roster spot. YMMV of course.

I am planning to crack open my hoard this weekend (up to 261 pulls now) and while the last four months have perhaps not been the most exciting time in the game I am quite looking forward to taking my roster to the next level with more fivestar champions.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    jaworeq said:
    astrp3 said:
    Does taco token hoarding still work? I just tried to open some I have hoarded and they don't seem to count towards current vault.

There are two types of taco tokens, Sweet and Savory. We just started the Savory cycle, so any Sweet tokens you have left over from previous cycles will go to an inactive vault. However, on Monday when the next Sweet cycle starts the old Sweet tokens will be usable on the new Sweet vault while the Savory tokens go inactive.

TL;DR - yes, hoarding tacos still work, you just need to keep in mind there are two kinds.

• jaworeq
    jaworeq Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    I see. Thanks for answer!
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    I'm hoarding CP & LTs simply because there's not enough ISO to go around. I'm a 4-star player and have as many fully (or nearly fully) covered 4-stars as championed 4-stars. Burning LTs or CP may get me a few usable covers, but will also result in a bunch that I have to sell because I don't have ISO to move my characters up. Fully covered 4-stars are nice, but until I can champ them, they're not that usable compared to the rest of my roster (except in Crash of Titans). Because I have half of the latest 4-stars championed, I am waiting until the bottom 8 rotate out. That probably puts me out into Sept or Oct before I burn my hoard. It's not what I want to do, but I'm pretty much forced to do that with the way they've structured the game and made ISO such a scarce resource.
  • ejm04
    ejm04 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In

Personally, I hoard CP, LT, and Tacos.

I'm fairly new- Day 97 as of writing this. I'm in the 3* transition, I have 11 3* champed, and am working on rostering 4*s to complete more Behemoth Burritos and to be more competitive in PvE.

I am hoarding CP and LTs because I am not ready for an influx of new heroes. I don't have the HP to roster them. I also am keeping CP on hand intentionally so I can finish 3* for championing. I have only had to do this a few times, but the exchange is 20CP to finish and then the first champ level is a latest legends token, and I'm only making that move if I have a cover about to expire.

For Tacos, I am hoarding on a small scale. I wait until the vault has at least 3 3* that I'm focusing on. It tends to happen about every 4-5 cycles, so I usually have 40-50 pulls from the vault. I'm not cleaning it out, but it tends to land me 2-4 3* covers for characters I'm either working on champing or have champed already. These are characters I either use all the time right now, or plan to use a lot when they're up to level. It's worth the wait.

• waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    I'm in a very similar situation as Zalasta.  I save my CP and LT because the odds of me pulling a 4* cover I can't use due to the lack of ISO is very high.  Eventually I'll hit a point where my pulls with either result in usable covers or champion levels - and when that occurs, I will open the covers.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Hoarding is the way to min max this game; maximize rewards while minimizing wasted resources. The strategy of not opening tokens until you have the iso to champ makes sense. Some people also like to open a bunch at a time, so they save up for that reason. There's also the new-ish factor of characters entering and leaving the token pool

I personally don't hoard. I have saved up almost 10 legendary pulls before, but only when I was really iso starved. Taco, heroic, standard tokens etc get opened right away.  A strategy I have heard on the forums it to keep enough cp on hand so that they have enough to buy a cover when opening tokens. But that might overvalue the cover you already pulled vs 5 extra pulls you get at the same cp. If a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, buying a cover is overpriced.

Hoarding also doesn't factor in time as a resource.  Currently I have 5/12 champed and 3/12 fully covered. My odds are better to pull a champ reward, but also fairly high to pull a cover that I don't have iso to champ yet. It might make sense to hoard, but if I did open instead I will be getting xp and 1000 iso at worst, which would get me to the next champ a little faster. If I did hoard, then after 2 weeks of not opening I would be better off, but still could pull that dupe that I can't use.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I hoard Command Points because I don't like to waste covers.  If I have a 14th cover for someone that could be a champ level in my queue I am not going to want to pull any more covers until I champ that character.  I'm currently on a seemingly endless cycle where I champ one 4 star character and a 14th cover shows up for someone else.

I hoard Latest Legends tokens because there's no point in opening them if I'm not out of command points yet.

I hoard Taco Tokens until I need health packs then I open them until I get the health packs I need.  I've gotten Legendary tokens, 10,000 ISO and even my 13th cover for Winter Soldier while going after health packs.

I don't hoard Hero Points but I don't spend them needlessly either.  They just kind of build up on their own.  I've bought a few heroes for hire at 3600 each and also cleared out the Starlord and Black Panther vaults for 5600 each.  Sometimes I buy the daily deal but usually I skip it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoarding is super boring and difficult to pull off if you're an impatient person like me. However imaging that you already have a few championed 5*s.

Instead of getting a few here and there, it makes much more sense to hoard hundreds or thousands of Latest LTs and CP so that you can open up 300+ Latest tokens at once. Then you're pretty much guaranteed the latest 5* as a champion, possibly at lv 460, 470 or even higher (550 for the whales who hoard / purchase an ungodly amount of tokens and cp).

There's no way I would have the patience to do this, but it's basically the only way to get a high-leveled 5*, other than being super duper lucky with your rng and bh pulls.