Answers To The 8 Questions About Vaulting (5/2/17)

Comments

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the explanations.  None of them surprise me, but it's nice to see assumptions confirmed.

I get the overall problem and "solution", although it is frustrating to feel like I should hoard tokens because I have so many max covered latest 4's but no ISO to champ them.  That should go away in about 2 months when I manage to champ them all.

I am looking forward to seeing additional ways to get vaulted 4's, whether it's new/changed tokens, CL9, or whatever else you come up with.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could get behind vaulting more if bonus heroes weren't such a joke mechanic when you're on the wrong side of rng. 

But yeah, vaulting probably has been a success for pushing a lot of players up to levels of mmr that they're probably not ready for yet. It's pretty much made 4 stars a mini 5 star tier, but we'll see. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find that archiving characters has been very helpful for me. I'm hitting day 1032 and have a fairly developed roster of legendary Champions, so I don't know how well that applies to other people, but looking at my roster since archiving, I have:
    1. Champed Peggy Carter before she left the store, along with Wasp, Spider Woman, Medusa, and Carol Danvers, all without whaling for ISO or HP.
    2. Fully covered Luke Cage, Gwenpool, Agent Venom, and Agent Coulson, and brought Blade, Riri, and Mordo to 12 covers (DP vs MPQ may have Riri beat the 4 fully covered to the Champion punch).

Naturally, the problem is a matter of ISO. With 4 fully covered in the latest 12, and another 4 (Ant Man, Venom, Quake, and Devil Dinosaur) sitting at 13 as well, pulls from the Legendary store are at a halt in order to avoid too many lost covers. At least now, though, I can hold back until those highly covered characters are Champed or archived, then pull again, knowing there's little risk of wasted covers.

And Agent Venom can sit un-Champed while everyone else passes by. He can get the scraps when everyone else is done.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The real problem with the design you've proposed is that, for all that it makes it easier to champ certain 4*s, it essentially sets players back by a huge amount if they aren't already set up to use a 4* character they were building.  My 11-cover Invisible Woman and 9-cover Nova were the product of a substantial amount of work, and now that work is undone.  I will never have those characters as a competitive part of my roster, Bonus Heroes or not.

Don't get me wrong, I *like* vaulting.  I think it's an improved design over what we had before.  But the reason for the outcry has nothing to do with playstyles or fixing dilution.  It has to do with a large amount of effort that's gone into the game which is now wasted.  What people really want is a way to makes the progress they had on those older characters mean something again.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    @zodiac339

I'm pretty much where you're at in terms of character levels since vaulting. 5 of the latest champed and rest at 11-13 covers. Only Danny is at 6 right.

That's amazing progression in just two months. Iso crunch is so bad with all the recent champing that I've been forcing into hoarding, something I never did before.

Now I've got all around blocked champ progression until the token pool opens up more.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real problem with the design you've proposed is that, for all that it makes it easier to champ certain 4*s, it essentially sets players back by a huge amount if they aren't already set up to use a 4* character they were building.  My 11-cover Invisible Woman and 9-cover Nova were the product of a substantial amount of work, and now that work is undone.  I will never have those characters as a competitive part of my roster, Bonus Heroes or not.
    If you make IW your 4* BH, you can expect to get her fully covered in less than 40 pulls. If there was no vaulting/BHs, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 90 pulls.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simple solution is offering a legendary pack that offers a certain amount of rotating old 4* characters or changing the crash of titans to every 3 days or making the crash if titans give you a cover of your choice for the character that is being used in the event; IE win with cyclops classic get your pick of one of his colors.

Also the main issue I have with vaulting is I cant earn the newest 12 fast enough before they get vaulted. Just got Wasp covered 3-3-3 and she is next to be vaulted. So I will have another character dead in water because they will be removed from the pack and the bonus hero draw rates are awful. 

It's nice to have this communication, I feel it's been long overdue. 
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    Pylgrim said:
    If you make IW your 4* BH, you can expect to get her fully covered in less than 40 pulls. If there was no vaulting/BHs, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 90 pulls.
    Or you could pull zero bonus heroes as well because the % is so low.
    5% is one in 20. Without vaulting, there would be 46 4*s in the pool, so the chances to get that particular character would be 1 in 46. Which one is lower?