***** Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2) *****

Comments

• Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Vhailorx said:
    That would help his purple, but yellow definitely does both tile swapping and burst healing already.
    Clearly struggling with my reading comprehension.  That is twice I have miss read something about starlord.  First the aoe now this.  I will quietly sit on the side lines for the rest of the debate.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quest34 said:
    Vhailorx said:
    That would help his purple, but yellow definitely does both tile swapping and burst healing already.
    Clearly struggling with my reading comprehension.  That is twice I have miss read something about starlord.  First the aoe now this.  I will quietly sit on the side lines for the rest of the debate.
    Nah!  We have all done it.  And you are right about purple.
  • waynerz666
    waynerz666 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Purple fix should be steal a total of 8 - starting with strike/attack/protect tiles, then the balance steals random AP, from multiple random sources.. That would a worthy 5* power. scaling back the # total per cover.. 3 covers = 5 steals, 4 covers = 6steals, 5 covers = 8steals..

Yellow fix is easy, just remove the req for a teamate to be below 50%, that is just worthless. and the healing should be lowest health pool gets X heal.. not the team, increase the total number and give it to the lowest health pool..  

Green fix.. let us pick which columns get destroyed and tiles generate damage.. should up the dmg enough to appease the masses... 
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Thorough analysis dayv.  But i still think you are significabtly overvaluing rabdom boardshake.  It can be helpful, but it is too unpredictable to be a good strategy in this game.

And while star-lord may be the only instant-effect 5* aoe, it's still quite expensive (requiring either 12 ap, OR some green + 10 yellow).  So i dont know that it will end up playinh much faster than many other 5* character s.  It's possible that i am wrong, in which case star lord might be pretty good. 

But i think SL will end up being useful as a green battery more than as a boardshaker to the extent that he is useful for all.  Even just doing tile damage to the target would make green an awful lot better.
    Phoenix would disagree with you about random board shake. Yes, it's unpredictable in that sometimes it does nothing, but sometimes it's game ending with 5 star match damage. I would agree with dayv's analysis, he's going to play better than the numbers look on paper. I'm not sure if he's better than mid tier in isolation, though. High tier support with Bolt or Thanos. Not trash tier though.
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2017
    I don't think i called him trash tier (new carnage is trash tier!).  I have been cautiously pessimistic on him.  He looks bad, but i have been wrong before.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Vhailorx said:
    I don't think i called him trash tier (new carnage is trash tier!).  I have been cautiously pessimistic on him.  He looks bad, but i have been wrong before.
    I called him trash tier, and in fact he is. There is absolutely no reason why anybody with a deep 5 roster would bring SL into a fight, no reason at all. He is far worse than Hulk (which is considered the worst 5 right now). He is mediocre healer, mediocre AP stealer, mediocre damage dealer, and okish board shaker (if there are special tiles on the board so he doesnt destroy the whole line, so the chances for a cascade are higher).

Morph3us you cant compare his board shake to PH, you should compare it to Bolt normal green behaviour (he destroys two lines, so it is similar to SL). And almost always the board shake from normal Bolt's green is really small. SL board shake is better, but probably not great, just ok.

Devs need to buff him ASAP, he is a total design failure :( Looks like they cant get a SL right the first time :P
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2017
    It's odd numbered SL revisions that they can't get polares.  

1st attempt at SL: total **** 4*

2nd attempt: very solid pve 4* with some pvp utility

3rd attempt: disappointing 5* (and the first completely lazy 3*).

4th attempt: ???

SL is the star trek of MPQ characters!
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    I've been testing the loaner 5 star star lord with im40 to generate green. The chances of getting a cascade with his green power seems low
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ran his loaner node a bunch of times. Here's how many cascade matches I got per cast:
    0 0 0
    2 2
    3 3

That's an average of 1.3. 

His yellow is also too slow, because it's not predictable enough. (It also really sucks if the enemy's highest color is green)

There's just no upside on him.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    My greatest disappointment is that the new SLs don't get any of the power that is granted to him in the GoTG2. Albeit temporarily, SL is granted the power to manipulate reality and become super strong. As this release is a tie-in to the release of the movie GotG2, this power should be reflected in the character design.
    You can call this power "Connection to the Light", or "Half-God" or something like that. You can make this a direct damage power. Or, better still, a CD power that gives bonus damage to a selected friendly power as long as the CD is on the board.

SL also claims to be "the best pilot in the galaxy" in the movie. Maybe you can make a CD power that negates or reduce damage to everyone in the team.

Lastly, SL is a known tactician, both in the comic and the movie, able to see the enemies' point of weakness. He might be given a CD power that reduce a selected character's Hit Point temporarily. If Gamora, Drax or Groket is on the team, they capitalize on this and make the Hit Point loss permanent. This power may be called "Destroying the Core" or "Locating the Wound".

**Contains minor GotG2 spoiler info - Ducky

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Something Bad steals up to 8 AP from a random pool that has at least 1 AP. If that pool has less than 8, you don't get anything extra. In other words, it's bad.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Well that sucks. If the AP steal was spread out across all colors, it would be very similar to OBW's steal. And OBW's steal alone made her a threat in 2* and even 3* land.
  • Vhailorx
    Astral, maybe retag your post with movie spoilers?  The film isnt even out in the US yet.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    **Mod mode: ON!**

Hi! Since we had a minor incident regarding spoiler information about the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I just want to remind everyone to please use a spoiler tag for information that might be considered a spoiler. Thanks!

**Mod mode: OFF!**
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something Bad steals up to 8 AP from a random pool that has at least 1 AP. If that pool has less than 8, you don't get anything extra. In other words, it's bad.
    So basically it's worse than Psylocke blue
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    So I played around with him. I think he actually is slightly better than Banner. Banner has more longevity because of his transformation, but the board shake potential is still somewhat there for SL. Alone it isn't much, but consider two of his moves have board shake potential. Combine him with Phoenix or another board shaker like Iron Man, or with another charge tile creator like SS, and he can be slightly better than Banner. Still really bad. His purple is pretty much the new worst move in 5 star land. I played a bunch of matches with him with different characters.

https://youtu.be/Z4IrK1JcWXw
    https://youtu.be/UJpFbqjEjSU
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the videos. The purple is easily the worst part of the character design. A 5* power should not carry a pretty good chance of effectively wasting your AP.

First off, it really seems like it should buff the stolen tiles, like an improved She-Hulk blue.

Additionally, if it goes to the AP steal, perhaps it could deal damage for each AP fewer than the max stolen. For example, let's say you set that damage at 1,000 points per "non-stolen AP".
    Then, at 5 covers, if you randomly steal 2 AP, you also get (8-2) * 1,000 = 6,000 damage. If you steal 6 AP, you also get 2,000 damage. If you randomly steal the full 8 AP, you don't get any damage.

I have no idea if that would be feasible from a programming standpoint, but this would remove the awful scenario of spending 8 AP to steal 1 AP (if RNGesus is feeling vengeful) with no other benefit.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    I believe many of you are devaluing SL's yellow power as well. Changing the enemy teams strongest color to one of your teams' strongest color ability's, and also charging them is very disruptive to the enemy team. Taking up to 5 AP of the enemy strongest color 'off the board' can be incredibly valuable. All you have to do is be responsible when you play it (or for whom you plan to bring SL against). 
    Vs. Thanos or Bolt? Probably not as good. But vs. any non-green-strongest 5* user, Yes.
    8 purple to steal OML or PHx strikes? Let them make them, then steal, then Bit of Both blast their faces off.
    I believe people will warm up to him once we get much more real battles under way with decent covers in him.
    He seems to pair well with Panther, and certainly with Surfer for the color coverage. I can see using SS blue to charge green, then using SL yellow to then change other colors to charged-green. You should get great board shake with 5* damage and tons of charged matches.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically it's worse than Psylocke blue
    Well... I'd say that's debatable since Bewilder also has to wait for a 2-3 turn CD to do anything, which gives the opposing team quite a bit of time to remove it or spend their AP.

But yeah, firing this off and hitting the one color pool that has 1 AP in it would feel really bad and very un-5*-ry
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    I believe many of you are devaluing SL's yellow power as well. Changing the enemy teams strongest color to one of your teams' strongest color ability's, and also charging them is very disruptive to the enemy team. Taking up to 5 AP of the enemy strongest color 'off the board' can be incredibly valuable. All you have to do is be responsible when you play it (or for whom you plan to bring SL against). 
    Vs. Thanos or Bolt? Probably not as good. But vs. any non-green-strongest 5* user, Yes.

Blocking Phoenix's green is also useless.