Thanos is...a fantastic boss.

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
First off, I hope this doesn't get moved or amalgamated into another thread. This is an appreciation thread specifically about Thanos as a boss, and not about strategy or any kind of comment on the event as a whole, so I figured it deserved a more specific topic.

With that out of the way, can I just say how wonderful it's been fighting this version of Thanos?

Have any of Demiurge's bosses in this game had such a great first innings? I seem to recall Ultron as a boss was fun to fight (they messed him up later with the ability to move tiles, but that's another matter). Galactus was...well we don't speak of Galactus 1.0. Boss Rush was a great concept with all the execution skills of Theon Greyjoy. And Kaecillius' first run was plagued with problems. Even the Civil War bosses ended up being meat grinders at times, Iron Man especially.

Now, my alliance is on round 6, so I guess there's time for him to become overpowered. But so far he's been a lot of fun to fight. It's fun working out a rainbow team that could take him out once you match that blue tile away...or being able to cope if you simply can't. I guess it helped XFW, Star Lord and Ant Man are boosted.

I guess overall I just want to say thank you to the devs for making Thanos an actual pleasure to fight. For once I want to get the minion nodes out of the way so I can tackle him again.

I felt that normally threads pop up in boss events, especially new ones, decrying the horrendous unfairness of a boss, or saying it's outright broken. I haven't seen a thread yet saying anything negative, but I also haven't seen any possitives either. This seems a shame, since so far I'm really enjoying the boss fights.

Comments

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    So far so good, I'm going to hold my applause till I see how bad randomness impacts round 8, and what happens when you still have the majority of his health to grind after matching all the gems...
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'm also enjoying this event, my only recommendation would be the infinity stone icons.  I wish they could have mustered up some new art, even if they were colored ovals. e.g

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross said:
    I'm also enjoying this event, my only recommendation would be the infinity stone icons.  I wish they could have mustered up some new art, even if they were colored ovals. e.g

Honestly I was thinking the same. The timer-less skulls seemed a bit odd. Especially since they made a gauntlet icon for Thanos to have.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    I don't understand thanking devs for doing their job. If they suck then money doesn't flow, if they do well, it does. They aren't doing charity or a favor. Not sucking is kinda expected when you want to make money, no thanks necessary. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Completely agree, this boss event has been really enjoyable so far, hope it stays this way.

Good job.
  • We_are_Venom
    ejm04 said:

It's called positive reinforcement. When someone does something you like, and you want them to continue that behavior, giving reinforcement makes it more likely that they will continue that behavior.

Furthermore, the OP clearly feels like they went beyond merely "not sucking" and put together a very fun boss event.

That's their job. They get paid for it. If they operated on positive reinforcement most of the dumb, nonsensical decisions wouldn't come to pass. 

"Hey valet, thanks for parking my car I just gave you 20$ to do! Man, you're a swell fella."
  • We_are_Venom
    ejm04 said:

ejm04 said:

It's called positive reinforcement. When someone does something you like, and you want them to continue that behavior, giving reinforcement makes it more likely that they will continue that behavior.

Furthermore, the OP clearly feels like they went beyond merely "not sucking" and put together a very fun boss event.

That's their job. They get paid for it. If they operated on positive reinforcement most of the dumb, nonsensical decisions wouldn't come to pass. 

"Hey valet, thanks for parking my car I just gave you 20$ to do! Man, you're a swell fella."

Giving him $20 is also positive reinforcement. Just like players making in game purchases is positive reinforcement for the devs.

Politeness shouldn't be reserved only for those who go out of their way to make your life better altruistically.

If this thread title was "I made a purchase because this event is great" I would've agreed with the OP fully. "Good job!" and "Thank you sir may I have another!" are not the same..
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Just wanted to agree.  This is fun, it is thought-out well, it's got mechanics we aren't used to, and it's a genuine joy to play.  Good work devs.  Really.  Bravo.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I don't understand thanking devs for doing their job. If they suck then money doesn't flow, if they do well, it does. They aren't doing charity or a favor. Not sucking is kinda expected when you want to make money, no thanks necessary. 
    I'm guessing you don't think Sully was a hero for doing his job either?  Positive reinforcement works great on children and developers.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Totally nailed this boss event. It's fun,puzzlely, and pretty close to what everyone wants. GREAT JOB! 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree. I'm actually enjoying this event as opposed to reluctantly grinding for rewards. So far Patch, Mohawk, and Hawkguy have been working wonders for me.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Event is too easy. Just match the blue "I Win" tile. Or match the red "Almost Win" tile. My level 140 goons are tougher than round 7 thanos.
  • We_are_Venom
    Hendross said:
    I'm guessing you don't think Sully was a hero for doing his job either?  Positive reinforcement works great on children and developers.
    Lol children and developers. Seems like an insult.

No I don't find him heroic because he landed the plane in water since, you know, he had a vested interest in the outcome and I assume enjoys life.

If he wasn't on it, used a jet pack to get in when **** started going bad so he could land the plane in the water saving everyone in the process, I'd say hero.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Hadronic said:
    Event is too easy. Just match the blue "I Win" tile. Or match the red "Almost Win" tile. My level 140 goons are tougher than round 7 thanos.
    This is the easiest part for them to tune - next run may have the boss levels advancing by 30 instead of 25 per round, or more.

I think they hit a very sweet spot for tunability without needing code changes in this event (The round/boss levels data would be *easy* to drive from a data table that's tied to the event, instead of fixed in the event code).
  • I think I am in the minority but,  rewards are meh(ISO and HP wise really low) and the boss figh gives absolutely no challenge. I did not expect a boss rush hard level but there is a lot of room in between