Booster pack screen

wolfger
wolfger Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
Here you go, d3. I fixed this for you.

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why stop there? You could just add it to every screen...and maybe increase the size?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems a bit odd that they'd suddenly advertise the fact that you can convert duplicates here, when a) you've been able to do it for ages, and b) there's a system on it's way to give your duplicates more value than just converting into runes.

You'd almost think that D3 is up to one of it's usual tricks to swindle you out of resources, except.. I can't see what they have to gain out of this one?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's no way they're not going to force convert the duplicates before implementing the new duplicate system.

That's just blatantly unfair. 
  • wolfger
    wolfger Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Why stop there? You could just add it to every screen...and maybe increase the size?
    You act like this is hurting your screen real-estate, when in fact: 1) it's smaller than the banner they added, thereby increasing the screen real-estate, 2) There would no longer be any need to navigate to "Cards" and we could eliminate that from the main menu entirely.
  • shteev
    Ohboy said:
    There's no way they're not going to force convert the duplicates before implementing the new duplicate system.

That's just blatantly unfair. 
    Not at all. They've been suggesting that there mght be some use for duplicates since the start of the game, and so I've held on to mine, deliberately foregoing the extra runes I could have earned and spent on levelling my PWs quicker. I've been sitting onto a potential for future earnings by giving up on advantages I could buy right now. It's the same as what I'm currently doing with my huge unspent stash of crystals and mana jewels and unopened boosters, in fact.

Some players have chosen to make that one way transaction, and now they realise that they can't go back, but that's unforutunately the reality of the game. I find myself in a very similar situation with regards to my PWs levels.... I've levelled all my old PWs up to level 60, and now I'd give anything to be able to bust them back down to level 1 again so that I can gain an advantage on the 'Win in less than 5 rounds' nodes in NoP and EmO, but I can't. My alt account does better in NoP than my main, for god's sake. But, I can't go back. That's life.
  • Ohboy
    They explicitly said there was no plans for duplicates other than runes. It's amazing how optimistic your reading of that statement is. 

This is what was said 

Hibernum_JC wrote:
    We do not currently have plans for additional things Duplicate cards can be used for, but this does not mean it will never happen. If you want to keep your duplicates for any reason, you can do so, and for this reason we haven't implemented an automatic conversion into Runes.

A cover-my-**** statement like "does not mean it will never happen" is not "been suggesting that there mght be some use for duplicates since the start of the game". 

Taking your argument of "they said this therefore we must make decisions based on what was revealed to us", a stronger case can be made that all players should have converted and it's unfair to those who read the statement properly if those who misinterpreted are rewarded instead. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I'd be pretty happy if they just put a "new" banner over the one card out of the big box that wasn't dupe... :)
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Ohboy said:
    They explicitly said there was no plans for duplicates other than runes. It's amazing how optimistic your reading of that statement is. 

This is what was said 

Hibernum_JC wrote:
    We do not currently have plans for additional things Duplicate cards can be used for, but this does not mean it will never happen. If you want to keep your duplicates for any reason, you can do so, and for this reason we haven't implemented an automatic conversion into Runes.

A cover-my-**** statement like "does not mean it will never happen" is not "been suggesting that there mght be some use for duplicates since the start of the game". 

Taking your argument of "they said this therefore we must make decisions based on what was revealed to us", a stronger case can be made that all players should have converted and it's unfair to those who read the statement properly if those who misinterpreted are rewarded instead. 

as a player who has almost never converted dupes
    this may come across as being a little bias.

I do not think it's unfair for previous dupes to be
    carried over if a dupe system is implemented.
    players that took the decision not to convert dupes
    have lost out by not having runes available earlier.
    in pve events and maybe qb this means losing out
    on possible rewards other than runes. allowing
    these player to get a reward now that everyone
    else had earlier is not being hugely unfair to the
    other players. players with dupes have no claim
    for them to be carried over, this does not mean that
    by carrying them over they are at an advantage.
    any advantage would depend on the carry rate.

HH 
  • shteev
    Ohboy said:

This is what was said 

Hibernum_JC wrote:

First of all, thanks for not bothering to link to your source. After a bit of searching, I found that JC quote referenced in this thread, dated April 2016. Interestingly enough, while I was searching, I found this thread as well, also dated April 2016:
    I'll say this - we are actively listening to all your comments about duplicates and will seriously take them into consideration for the future. This doesn't mean we'll actually do a system like Hearthstone's dust system, but we are really taking these comments to heart.
    So... maybe my reading wasn't quite so optimistic as you're implying? Perhaps there are some grounds for me believing that it's possible that duplicates might mean something?

The cherry picking you do on your data does get very tiresome sometimes.

I'll tell you whats unfair: getting a game crash or being locked out of your account during an event and not winning Dynavolt Tower as a result. Players actually earning in game commodities through their own time and effort and spending them in a manner of their choosing, that's not unfair at all.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    They really shouldn't auto-convert dupes as one of the official sources (I think it was @Brigby) recently actively advised us to hold on to dupes because a method of using dupes for some useful purpose was on the way (in the next "few" months).
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    wink said:
    They really shouldn't auto-convert dupes as one of the official sources (I think it was @Brigby) recently actively advised us to hold on to dupes because a method of using dupes for some useful purpose was on the way (in the next "few" months).
    Could you post a link to said advice?
  • Ohboy
    shteev said:
    Ohboy said:

This is what was said 

Hibernum_JC wrote:

First of all, thanks for not bothering to link to your source. After a bit of searching, I found that JC quote referenced in this thread, dated April 2016. Interestingly enough, while I was searching, I found this thread as well, also dated April 2016:
    I'll say this - we are actively listening to all your comments about duplicates and will seriously take them into consideration for the future. This doesn't mean we'll actually do a system like Hearthstone's dust system, but we are really taking these comments to heart.
    So... maybe my reading wasn't quite so optimistic as you're implying? Perhaps there are some grounds for me believing that it's possible that duplicates might mean something?

The cherry picking you do on your data does get very tiresome sometimes.

I'll tell you whats unfair: getting a game crash or being locked out of your account during an event and not winning Dynavolt Tower as a result. Players actually earning in game commodities through their own time and effort and spending them in a manner of their choosing, that's not unfair at all.

You're kidding right. I'll just use the quote you supplied and even your interpretation of it is hopelessly optimistic. 

Nowhere does it say they will do or even consider a crafting system or any use of dupes other than runes. 

• wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Volrak said:
    wink said:
    Could you post a link to said advice?
    I was probably thinking of this: http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/653613/#Comment_653613

In which Brigby says: 
    If it's a Mythic or lower rarity, then you'll most likely want to wait for the upcoming system that addresses duplicates to be implemented. If it's a Masterpiece duplicate though, Customer Support can compensate you with an Elite Booster. Just make sure you leave the duplicate in your inventory during the process!

Because he said "Mythic or lower rarity", I thought he was talking about dupes in general and not dupes in Elite Packs since you can't get lower than mythic in an Elite Pack. But a more careful reading of it, and later posts in the thread indicate he probably meant only in Elite Packs.

But you can see how wishful thinking would make me see that as advice to hold on to all dupes, right?

• speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    There was a discussion about this and I still think the only fair way would be to have everyone start at zero once (or if) there's a new system for dupes in place. Anything else would just cause an(other) uproar. And making everyone convert is not unfair at all. Hoping that all your hoarded dupes (which I have been doing again and again, just to convert them eventually for a new PW) will become a treasure is not a good argument. It would cause a huge imbalance that would only benefit players who hoarded them.

And they definitely said they're working on something for dupes. I quote Brigby from March 30 (http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/660427#Comment_660427):
    "When it comes to duplicates, we will be implementing a system that will allow players to use those duplicates to acquire the cards they don't own yet. This should be coming within the next few months."

That is definitely more than "duplicates can only be converted to runes."
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Im not against free start for all, but if planned what about hoarding boosters? All should be automatically open and converted as well? 
  • speakupaskanswer
    Szamsziel said:
    Im not against free start for all, but if planned what about hoarding boosters? All should be automatically open and converted as well? 
    Good point, but I wouldn't consider this as problematic as hoarding dupes.
    1) you could have hoarded dupes for months but it's unlikely that anyone would do that with boosters.
    2) the benefit therefore wouldn't be as big.
    3) there is no disadvantage of hoarding dupes because they just lie around while hoarding boosters could be considered a disadvantage because you keep yourself from getting new cards. There is an advantage of hoarding boosters of course towards the end of a set, but that depends on the time when a new system is implemented.
  • shteev
    Ohboy said:
    shteev said:
    You're kidding right. I'll just use the quote you supplied and even your interpretation of it is hopelessly optimistic. 

Nowhere does it say they will do or even consider a crafting system or any use of dupes other than runes. 

Really. So you're saying that what JC was really saying was 'We're listening to your feedback, but we guarantee that we'll never do anything about it. Keep submitting it tho because we like the sound of your mouths flapping up and down'.

What about this quote, then, which I've posted on the forums a couple of times recently:
    Brigby said:
    1) The team is currently developing a system that addresses duplicates, in order to give them more value than just converting into runes. You can expect this to be implemented within the next couple of months.
    It does seem rather that an interpretation of that comment as a system which gives your duplicates more value than just converting them into runes is quite justified, isn't it?

I put it to you, sir, that your argument merely boils down to 'You have some things, I don't have some things, I don't like that you have things, and I want those things taken away from you'.

@Brigby If probably looks like me and OhBoy are getting quite personal here, but you have to remember the important psychological warfare that is going on under the surface: both of us are trying to imply that our reading of the prior statements of D3/Hibernum team are the most obvious one, and that anyone trying to make up their own mind rather than just agreeing with us is just wasting their time. To that end, I'd see it as a personal favour if you didn't do your usual thing and delete all my posts and leave his intact.
  • speakupaskanswer
    edited April 2017
    shteev said:
    Ohboy said:
    shteev said:

Really. So you're saying that what JC was really saying was 'We're listening to your feedback, but we guarantee that we'll never do anything about it. Keep submitting it tho because we like the sound of your mouths flapping up and down'.

What about this quote, then, which I've posted on the forums a couple of times recently:
    Brigby said:
    1) The team is currently developing a system that addresses duplicates, in order to give them more value than just converting into runes. You can expect this to be implemented within the next couple of months.
    It does seem rather that an interpretation of that comment as a system which gives your duplicates more value than just converting them into runes is quite justified, isn't it?

I put it to you, sir, that your argument merely boils down to 'You have some things, I don't have some things, I don't like that you have things, and I want those things taken away from you'.

@Brigby If probably looks like me and OhBoy are getting quite personal here, but you have to remember the important psychological warfare that is going on under the surface: both of us are trying to imply that our reading of the prior statements of D3/Hibernum team are the most obvious one, and that anyone trying to make up their own mind rather than just agreeing with us is just wasting their time. To that end, I'd see it as a personal favour if you didn't do your usual thing and delete all my posts and leave his intact.
    If you want to avoid another fight, you should maybe not just focus on your opponent, then you'd see I already posted Brigby's quote in reply to OhBoy's comment. Especially for someone always complaining that people forget he already posted something.
  • shteev
    If you want to avoid another fight, you should maybe not just focus on your opponent, then you'd see I already posted Brigby's quote in reply to OhBoy's comment.
    The new forum, unlike the old forum, doesn't tell you when someone else makes a post while you're submitting one yourself.
  • speakupaskanswer
    shteev said:
    If you want to avoid another fight, you should maybe not just focus on your opponent, then you'd see I already posted Brigby's quote in reply to OhBoy's comment.
    The new forum, unlike the old forum, doesn't tell you when someone else makes a post while you're submitting one yourself.
    Agreed. Sorry.