***** Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2) *****

Comments

• We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    I am a bit more bullish on his yellow than you pun.  It's predictable relative to thor's yellow, cheaper, and makes charged tiles.  So if used well it has the chance to generate massive amounts of green ap.

But he has very little else going for him.  Conditional burst healing?  Random ap theft?  Weak aoe damage and random boardshake?  All pretty meh. 
    He does generate tons of green but with characters he works well with he tanks 2 if not all 3 of his colors, keeping him in front most of the match until he dies. There's no hiding him unless you use characters that dont work well with him.

He's meh. I'd put him ahead of Banner just for being a good partner to Thanos but other than that he's useless.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah if used "well" but we all know Charge tiles do not guarantee you AP. The opponent still has a chance to take those charge tiles... Imagine facing Rhulk?! His yellow is just too expensive. Maybe if it healed more.. if I have a character below 50% health, a thousand HP isn't going to fully stop the enemy from killing the character. Again, KKs health burst is more reliable, as well as Medusa. I do not see myself bringing him for that yellow... 
    Well it does convert tiles that aren't green to green, so unlike almost all other Charged Tile creators out there this one can actually make matches right away, if used well. I agree the burst heal is pretty meh.

I'm not nearly as down on his Green as everyone else, though. Destroying 24 tiles is really a ton of the board; Only 2* Magneto and Black Bolt destroy more. (Minus however many tiles belong to you, I suppose) The cascade potential there seems pretty good, although not consistent. The 3* version is definitely a better power than Godlike Power or Thunderous Clap, although I admit neither of those are a terribly high bar, and 5* version seems comparable to Quasi-sonic Whisper. Except for the upgraded version.

My biggest issue with 5* SL is he doesn't do anything new or exciting. Other than his match damage, which is somewhat higher than everyone else's (again. yawn). Who was the last 5* who didn't really do anything interesting? Black Widow? She was pretty badly received as well, as I recall.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    With black widow everyone said 'wow, her damage numbers are huge, but all her powers are expensive.'

And that's true.  It just hasn't mattered much to date because the pace of 5* matches has been slower due to the lack of great ap accelerators at that tier (and the total non-viability of 3*s and 4*s in 5* play until they boost up above 400).  So it turns out 5BW isn't that bad.  But in the long run she has "fury-analog" written all over her IMO.  As 5*s get faster, she will get less and less appealing.

But star lord doesn't really have any new mechanics at all.

(1) Convert one color tile to charged tiles of a different color (new to 5* tier, but already seen in Mordo.  Still star-lord's best feature)
    (2) Burst healing for team (very old)
    (3) Steal tiles (moonstone, elektra, she-hulk, medusa, etc)
    (4) steal random AP (Fury purple)
    (5) Random board destruction that avoids friendly special tiles (R&G green) 
    (6) shockingly weak aoe damage relative to cost and comparable powers in tier (even loses out on this one to ragnarok!)

Cloak and dagger have a much more interesting kit than new SL. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Yeah the burst heal is bad. 12.5% of his life, and only if someone else on his team is at least half dead? And you need rank 5 for that, rank 4 and less the healing might as well not exist.

I think the 5* model sort of has this issue where every new 5* needs to (from a player perspective) either be clearly better than an existing 5* character, or do something new and interesting, otherwise, what's the point?

@Cthulhu I'd be interested in knowing if Something Bad steals 1 AP from 8 random pools (including the same pool more than once) or 8 AP from a single random pool? And does it have a chance to steal Team-Up AP, or only colored AP?
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    With the entry barrier into the 5* tier being so random, or if you were to brute force it - such a heavy investment of time/CP, I think high expectations of every new entry is justified.  It doesn't have to beat the last 5* character like you said, but he/she needs to have some mechanic or distinct feature that make a player want to use that character.  Here, I get 99% of the same experience by building up the 3*. 

I was also wondering if the AP steal is randomized across all colors.  Concerning AP steal, we've already seen targeted AP steal in the 4* tier, so making this random already feels like a step back in the power creep of that mechanic.
  • WoodStak
    WoodStak Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I think the 3*/5* duplicates have to stop. Dr Strange should've been a 4* only, Thanos shoulda been a 5* only, Hawkeye shoulda been a 3* only. I love playing MPQ, it'd take a lot for me to not want to play, but I really think these 3*/5* duplicates are actually starting to ruin the game.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    He looks so bad I anticipate waiting 6 months to open any legendaries. Shame as I have saved 105. At least I can play and spend less for the duration
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I'm going to assume someone f'ed up with this guy. He sucks. 5* match damage and nothing else.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Well, Star Lord in paper looks really underwhelming.

- Yellow: Charged tiles + heal. The heal is very small charged tiles are ok. No reason to go more than 3 in this one as you get all the charged tiles at 3. 
    - Purple: some RANDOM AP or special tile stealing. The problem here is the RANDOM part, if you could chose at least the color you would want to steal or the type of tiles it would be decent, but because it is completely random it makes the ability completely unreliable. 
    - Green: Mediocre AoE. 8k in 5 land (or 450 level range) is mediocre at best. At first I thought he also did tile damage, three rows would be a respectable 4k-6k extra damage with 5 match damage to the enemy in front, but Devs decided the power was already too good for that.

Thing is it is not that difficult to get Bolt to do the strong attack if you boost AP. And if you pair Thanos with Hawkeye or GG his tile survives almost always, so it is also very easy to resolve. Then to make things worse Rhulk and Iceman also do much more damage than SL when they reach level 450, and maybe most people don't have them there but they have it in the 400 range, and they already do more damage at that range. So even 4s are stronger than SL !!!!

The only pair I see for SL is Bolt, so he can feed green and charged tiles for him. But that's it. He needs a Buff ASAP.

I think he is trash tier, so 5 land has trash tier again. Great :(
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    But just think!  We can bring back all the "Works well with Starlord" jokes!
  • Vhailorx
    Thorough analysis dayv.  But i still think you are significabtly overvaluing rabdom boardshake.  It can be helpful, but it is too unpredictable to be a good strategy in this game.

And while star-lord may be the only instant-effect 5* aoe, it's still quite expensive (requiring either 12 ap, OR some green + 10 yellow).  So i dont know that it will end up playinh much faster than many other 5* character s.  It's possible that i am wrong, in which case star lord might be pretty good. 

But i think SL will end up being useful as a green battery more than as a boardshaker to the extent that he is useful for all.  Even just doing tile damage to the target would make green an awful lot better.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    as usual devs overestimated both charged tiles and board shake...
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm not a 5* player yet but just at first glance, Fartlord here looks pretty feeble.
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler

seems he will be useful against tile makers but at 8ap purple seems kind of expensive for stealing three tiles.  I don't like the random ap steal.  Why is a 5* steal not as useful or more powerful as a 2* or 3* ap steal?

• Jaedenkaal

seems he will be useful against tile makers but at 8ap purple seems kind of expensive for stealing three tiles.  I don't like the random ap steal.  Why is a 5* steal not as useful or more powerful as a 2* or 3* ap steal?

Why would it have to be? 5* AP is already more valuable in a lot of cases. Compare Adamantium Slash to Deep Breath.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    "steals 8 random enemy AP instead"

Is this from one color pool? Or is it 8 random AP across all color pools?
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    The easiest fix for starlord is if both his yellow and purple change the word "or" to "and".  Now he creates charge tiles and burst heals and steals random ap and strike, attack, and protect tiles.  You could lower the burst heal and random ap steal and boom really solid support character.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Quest34 said:
    The easiest fix for starlord is if both his yellow and purple change the word "or" to "and".  Now he creates charge tiles and burst heals and steals random ap and strike, attack, and protect tiles.  You could lower the burst heal and random ap steal and boom really solid support character.
    Something Good does do both, provided you meet the "if another team member has less than X% health" requirement. Otherwise It just creates charged tiles.
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2017
    That would help his purple, but yellow definitely does both tile swapping and burst healing already.