*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• pasa_ wrote:
    In any case the text should reflect exactly what the ability costs and does.
    Bewilder - Blue 10 AP
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a basic Blue tile to a 3 turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemie's largest color pool.

Doesn't it do that?
  • locked wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    In any case the text should reflect exactly what the ability costs and does.
    Bewilder - Blue 10 AP
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a basic Blue tile to a 3 turn Countdown tile that steals up to 9AP from the enemie's largest color pool.

Doesn't it do that?

Agreed... the power does not care about "importance"... just volume of AP. So if you forced someone into a lot of purple matches that are useless for them, and they have more of that than anything, she steals purple. Doesn't matter if it is useful to them or not.

If you can time it right tho, it is a great counter to the race against a sunder or some other large strike.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I can definitely see some use for bewilder for preventing big enemy attacks-- for instance venom's black. Usually I would be focusing Ares first and trying to deny green/yellow/red, so the enemies black builds up. Bewilder can help keep an extra color in track.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    A lot of teams also don't use 6 colors, so if yours does you can probably get off several skills for free after a bewilder
  • I stole enemy's yellow instead of black or purple (forgot to actually check which color was the most abundant). Was left with 30 AP of a dead color icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I don't think it's a matter of Bewilder being useless, rather lvl5 version is. If it stole 2 colours in smaller amounts, rather than 19 in 1, I'd consider lvl5.
  • Bewilderment at level 5 adds considerably more benefit than Psychic Knife or Psi-Katana gets for being at level 5. It basically reduces the chance it'll get destroyed by 33% (survive 4 total moves instead of 6).

There's not much reason to use Bewilderment right now because blue is arguably the most powerful color in the game due to ATU and Magnetic Field, and it's also a lot worse than Dorammau's Aid or Aggressive Recon. The former is definitely going to change, and I'm sure once they worked out the math on the AP steal abilities they will change the latter too.
  • ^ Baba Vanga
  • Psylocke is going to be punishers twin. She is used to finish characters off.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Bewilderment at level 5 adds considerably more benefit than Psychic Knife or Psi-Katana gets for being at level 5. It basically reduces the chance it'll get destroyed by 33% (survive 4 total moves instead of 6).

Yes, but given the option between making a bad skill somewhat less bad, or making your bread-and-butter skills slightly better, it should be an easy choice to go 5/3/5. I'm going to be using red and black about 20x more often than blue, so there is a lot more value in raising those.
  • Even if Bewilder gets buffed to 6 AP cost and 1 turn countdown tile, but Aggressive Recon gets nerfed to costing 11 AP in all cases like some people here are so adamant it will, I WILL USE RECON OVER BEWILDER ANY TIME, ALL THE TIME, lol. Unless I also have like 20+ spare blue.

Bewilder is not supposed to be Dormammu's Aid or Recon's substitute! Period. Will go 5-3-5 myself, Psylocke is about damage, obviously not about AP stealing, it's simply a bonus feature.
  • I really can't decide if I like her red ability or not
  • I think people are lured by the red's deceptively cheap cost. To start 'spamming' it at 5 red AP you'd need 26 red AP (8+7+6+5) by the time you actually got the 'cheap' red. For 28 AP, Patch will show you 2 dead guys in PvP and even in PvE, most level 230 guys will go down to two of his reds. Sure you'd have about 300 damage worth of strike tiles on your side but that's actually not that significant against level 230 guys, not to mention Patch can show you how to get big strike tiles too for considerably cheaper.

If you go 5r you got to pair her up with someone else who can generate red strike tiles, which is either Daken or Wolverine 2*. That might be good for some PvE event where one of those two characters are buffed, but it's going to be problematic in PvP.

That said she's still hard to figure out a good build, because 4 in red is probably ideal, but then you end up with most likely 4/4/5 which doesn't make much sense either (the 4th point in Bewilderment is basically useless), but 5/3/5 barely makes more sense.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron wrote:
    I think people are lured by the red's deceptively cheap cost. To start 'spamming' it at 5 red AP you'd need 26 red AP (8+7+6+5) by the time you actually got the 'cheap' red. For 28 AP, Patch will show you 2 dead guys in PvP and even in PvE, most level 230 guys will go down to two of his reds. Sure you'd have about 300 damage worth of strike tiles on your side but that's actually not that significant against level 230 guys, not to mention Patch can show you how to get big strike tiles too for considerably cheaper.

If you go 5r you got to pair her up with someone else who can generate red strike tiles, which is either Daken or Wolverine 2*. That might be good for some PvE event where one of those two characters are buffed, but it's going to be problematic in PvP.

That said she's still hard to figure out a good build, because 4 in red is probably ideal, but then you end up with most likely 4/4/5 which doesn't make much sense either (the 4th point in Bewilderment is basically useless), but 5/3/5 barely makes more sense.
    Ive been running her with bot wolverine and daken. when I had her stuck at 18-25 I preferred Daken, as he can get 3 strike tiles super easy. but now that shes 38 shes getting +100 in the boosted PVE so i switched to Wolverine as i have more control over the strike tiles. Her to 3 and then throw wolverines on top. Though as you said, i think she pairs better with Patch. my patch is lower so i still use her red to compliment his green, but if he were higher red would be all for him as her black seems to be where her damage lives. I'm still without blue (2/0/2) so i have no clue how good or bad it is. But from what i've read it seems situational at best and outclassed at worse -please correct me if im wrong btw- so im agree 4/4/5 or 5/3/5 may be the optimum build.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I think people are lured by the red's deceptively cheap cost. To start 'spamming' it at 5 red AP you'd need 26 red AP (8+7+6+5) by the time you actually got the 'cheap' red. For 28 AP, Patch will show you 2 dead guys in PvP and even in PvE, most level 230 guys will go down to two of his reds. Sure you'd have about 300 damage worth of strike tiles on your side but that's actually not that significant against level 230 guys, not to mention Patch can show you how to get big strike tiles too for considerably cheaper.

If you compare literally any character to Patch in terms of damage, Patch will win, so it's not really a fair argument to say that she's worse than Patch. His restriction is that he's highly reliant on Spider-Man, and it's not clear how much longer that will last.

That said, the damage from 2 activations of her red vs 1 activation of Patch's red is pretty comparable, evening out after ~16 total triggers of the strike tiles. If you pair it with her black, you'll get 16 triggers pretty quickly, and you'll be stacking damage a lot faster than Patch can, since he requires some setup with his red ability costing more and his green ability requiring some kind of planning.
  • Celerity wrote:
    If you compare literally any character to Patch in terms of damage, Patch will win, so it's not really a fair argument to say that she's worse than Patch. His restriction is that he's highly reliant on Spider-Man, and it's not clear how much longer that will last.

That said, the damage from 2 activations of her red vs 1 activation of Patch's red is pretty comparable, evening out after ~16 total triggers of the strike tiles. If you pair it with her black, you'll get 16 triggers pretty quickly, and you'll be stacking damage a lot faster than Patch can, since he requires some setup with his red ability costing more and his green ability requiring some kind of planning.
    I'd agree, I think her red compares pretty favorably with Patch's, and being that Patch's red might be the best red in the game, that's saying a lot.

Don't forget that her red has two other advantages: 1, for the same AP you can spread the damage over two different targets, 2, and you don't have to deal with enemy strike tiles (although Patch's self-healing mostly renders that moot).

Also, hey, you don't have to choose between them! You can play Patch and Psylocke together and cast whichever red is best for the current situation. I find that having the flexibility to cast a lower-cost red comes in pretty handy.
  • Patch's red is good but it is balanced by an extremely expensive cost (14). But, if you're using Psylocke to try to spam a cheap 5 red AP move, that's backwards because the first 5 AP red you use requires 26 red AP (8+7+6 to setup plus the 5 itself). For that amount of AP, Patch can show you 2 dead guys virtually guaranteed. So if you go all the way on Psylocke's red, you got to have some other plan to get those red strike tiles, because 'hope for 26 red AP' is not really a viable strategy. This limits your partner choice to Daken or Wolverine, or Punisher if you're feeling extremely lucky.

There's nothing cheap about a 5 red AP move when it costs 21 red AP to get to that point. We're also only comparing Patch red, which has no real drawback in terms of strike tiles (yours are twice as strong, so it's something you can live with). Patch's red does not need Spiderman to work. It is only limited by its high cost, but '5 AP' isn't as low as it appears either for Psylocke.
  • Oh sure, I'm basically not taking into account the cost reduction at all. I'm saying that Psylocke's red is actually pretty good, even compared with Patch's, when you just look at the first two casts.

The fact that it gets cheaper is totally just a bonus in my book.
  • Yeah, I don't know why you keep talking about a 5AP red when her red is actually better at 6-8AP than it is at 5. It's just nice that it transitions from being a decent strike generator into a cheap spammable skill which synergizes with strike tiles.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meanwhile on Asgard, Loki secretly smiles as he prepares to steal some strike tiles.

Be aware if you go into a tourney completely dependent on strike tile damage, you better watch out for a counter strike tile team. Loki, Magneto classic, and a Patch of one's own could completely destroy a team that was Patch, Psylocke, and Daken.