getting new cards.

tiaxotrax
tiaxotrax Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
I don't play Marvel PQ.  but I occasionally see videos recorded of gameplay when I type MPQ instead of MtgPQ.  and I've seen several videos showing pulls from what appears to be grids of cards (comic covers in their case) mixed with amounts of runes and what not.  basic premise is there is 1 super cool item, 2 fairly cool items, several useful upgrade items of varying amounts and 40 or so useless, or minimal use items (think common cards)  and it's a rotation so there is 70 slots and once you pull from that slot it's marked out and can't be repulled thus multiple pulls results in multiple slots as opposed to the same slot multiple times.  

So maybe have it set up 1 Mythic or Masterpiece card random and unknowable till received(depending on the set) 2 rare cards (visible and knowable (lets you know if you wanna try for em or not) 4-5 slots of 5-10 crystals each 3-4 slots of 1 unobtanium each.  10 slots of 500 or 1000 runes each.  and the rest common and uncommon cards 2/3 common 1/3 uncommon.  You would know as you did each pull if your chances are better or worse for you to get the cards you want and wether or not it's in your best interests to continue pulling or not.

And the 70 slots change every so often (not sure if it's a daily weekly bi weekly or monthly rotation)  so people can choose to save up and wait for a really good variety of options or they can choose to blow their pixels daily.  since this is also a D3 game, and it's running on the same engine it should be possible for the code to be copied over.  it seems this or a variation this (where the players can see what they are throwing their pixels(currency) towards might alleviate some of the hurt feelings they experience.  

maybe they could set it up for each of the major sets. similar to way the vault is now there is kaledesh/AER, and BFZ or SOI, and general  

and if the cards reset daily then players would be able to either try daily for score or save up their tries for a big score(multiple pulls when it's a card they really want.  maybe I don't wanna try for aerthergeod miner if I already have 3 of them.  so instead I save for a month until I see Olivia as an option and pour all my chances into hopefully getting her.

also it kinda looks like a slot machine and slots are always fun to play.

Maybe if there are any players on which play both games they would be able to give a more in depth response as to Marvel's way is better or Magic's way is better or if in fact it's completely different mechanics and not actually feasible.

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I honestly do not get at all what your idea is o.O are these for free? should this be kind of a premium pack?
  • tiaxotrax
    in the videos I saw they used a token of some sort that they had gotten from battling.  so in regards to Magic they would most likely cost yellow crystals to pull each time. based on our current valuation of cards vs crystals I could see it costing 10 or 15 crystals per pull  so in order to get all all the pulls in a single rotation. you would need 700-1050 crystals minus of course the ones you won off the pulls that gave crystals.  (basically free spin/spin again)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Laeuftbeidir

I believe what tiaxotrax is referring to on the Marvel Puzzle Quest side are the Vaults. 

During certain events, there will be specific vaults available for players to pull items out of. Players are able to earn several tokens (free pulls) from the events, and once you run out, you're able to spend in-game currency to continue pulling from the vault.

The content of the vaults vary in quantity and quality based on the event it is tied to. Some have upwards of 300 items if the event it is tied to is a week-long event, whereas others might only have 30. The vault typically has a variety of items ranging from top-tier comics to health packs to in-game currency.

I guess a Magic Puzzle Quest variation of this would be throwing a few Mythics, some Mana Crystals, some Mana Runes, some rare, some uncommon, and some health packs together into a vault.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the explanation! 
    So this is more or less an idea for a total new event reward system; no longer guaranteed rares but, depending on your final ranking, one or more chances of pulling ..whatever is in the vault.. by using a 4th kind of in-game currency? hmm...
  • tiaxotrax
    Yes what Brigby said.  They didn't explain so much the acquisition of the tokens but how they were spending them, different strategies for wether you wanted to pull daily or save up multiple draws in a single one.  I just thought it looked cool because you had an idea of what was possible and the choice of wether or not it was worth it to keep going or if you should bank and save for the future.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the explanation! 
    So this is more or less an idea for a total new event reward system; no longer guaranteed rares but, depending on your final ranking, one or more chances of pulling ..whatever is in the vault.. by using a 4th kind of in-game currency? hmm...
    It might be a good mechanism for converting dupes, a certain value of conversion equals a pull, weighted based on the rarity of the converted cards. Still has a degree of randomness and the potential for a second chance at a good draw.