How many 3* progression covers have you won in PvP (as a 3* player only)?

MarkersMakeMarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2017 in Theories and Statistics
This is a question for the 3* players only. I'll set boundary conditions that you must have at least one 3* champ, and no more than one 4* champ to qualify for this poll (or that you only count the covers you won when you *did* meet those conditions.  

The 3* progression cover in pvp events can be won by reaching 800pts, and I never got that high until I champed my first 4* (Peggy). Now, I'm strictly free to play, and I have used shields exactly twice (and not when I reached 800), so I recognize there are other play styles. But I'm curious how successful other players were at this stage of the game.

So how about it?  

EDIT - Note that this is for progression rewards only. I randomly sniped a bracket and finished top 10 once, but that was more due to being on the road for most of the event and joining in the last few minutes. That's not really what I'm interested in finding out about for this particular poll though. :) 

How many 3* progression covers have you won in PvP (as a 3* player only)? 58 votes

60% 35 votes
1-5
18% 11 votes
6-10
5% 3 votes
10-15
0% 0 votes
15+
15% 9 votes

Comments

• PuceMoosePuceMoose Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you counting progression only? I think I've only hit 800 once in PvP, but I've placed top fifty dozens of times for the two 3-star placement awards. (I usually try to hit 575 for the CP, then shield. That's enough for a top 50 finish about  50% of the time, at least in the slice that I play (almost always slice 5)). 
  • MarkersMakeMarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry, yes - progression only for this poll. I'll edit to reflect that. 
  • Punisher5784Punisher5784 Posts: 3,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't qualify to vote based on my roster, however when I was a 3* player I never reached 800. Heck even now it's difficult to reach 800 and the 3* is useless to me. Make 3* 650, 4* at 800 and LT or alot of Iso at 900
    Oh, you can vote based on your record during the time when you were a 3* player, even if you are past that now. I might not have made that clear enough.  Ideally it would be fairly recently (last year or so) to reflect the current pvp environment, though. 
  • TheZeusBearTheZeusBear Age Unconfirmed Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    In about a month and a half in 3* land, I've maybe gotten 6-7 rewards at the 800 progression. Usually I get stuck at around 700 and can't climb further but if I needed the 3* really bad, I'd shield and go for it later on.
    Highest 4* is only level 120. Highest 3* is 183
  • NepentheNepenthe Age Unconfirmed Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I voted 15+, but it's important to note that when I was purely a 3* player the pvp landscape was pretty different.  Few people had well-covered 5*s or a variety of 4* champs, so 3* play was relatively closer to the top than it is now.  I definitely started hitting the 3* and even 4* progression rewards before I had any 4* champs, though.
  • carrion_pigeonscarrion_pigeons Age Unconfirmed Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I've gotten the 3* progression reward before, but only once or twice.  I agree it's placed too highly in the rewards: anybody who can achieve it with any kind of consistency is pretty much guaranteed not to care about it.

That said, come on.  This thread is pretty disingenuous.  If you want to stump for changing the rewards, then just do that.  Turning it into a poll where everyone is going to answer the same way is silly and a farce.
    You can't stump without data, and D3 doesn't appear to be volunteering anything on that front. My theory is that the reward structure was largely set (despite some recent changes) when rosters were less developed on average, and the pvp environment isn't the same as it used to be. Nepenthe's post, while anecdotal, supports that view, but is hardly conclusive. 

Besides, I only know my own experience.  I've heard of others with more success, but I really don't know how common they are: 1%? 5%? 20%? Who's actually winning these covers? 
  • cooperbigdaddycooperbigdaddy Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    I have never gotten 800 or higher and I have all 3*s champed and no 4* champs (my highest is 2/5/2).

I play in a casual PVP alliance, so I'm not necessarily using all my health packs and boosts for each PVP event, but I do believe the PVP rewards need to be revisited.

In PVE, if you grind enough you can get a 4*. For someone with a 3* moving into 4* transition, I actually think this is a decent rewards system; because it gives you just a little more than you have, but not the entire treasure chest. That is what progression in ANY game is.

My coveted rewards right now to progress are 4*s followed by CP. In PVP, there's no way I can get these prizes.
  • optimus2861optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    I don't remember for certain, but I'd guess 5 at most. Maybe just 3? I think I've only reached the 4* progression 3 times total and those are probably also the only times I hit the 3*. PVP Matchmaking is a tinykitty joke in this game. You get your three seed teams - maybe - then it's straight to the wolves. It's beyond insane that as your roster gets stronger & stronger, you have to fight equally stronger & stronger opponents just to slog your way through the increasingly useless-to-you early progression awards.

Ever since I got my first few 4* champs (5 total, none beyond level 275, none ever will now thanks to vaulting, tinykitty you devs), the matchmaking insanity has completely turned me off ever pushing beyond 575. It's a health pack sink and to me there's just no point.
  • JablesMcJablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler

I don't clearly remember ever getting one, but, I think I did once or twice.

I dunno, I never really pushed that hard in pvp, I would hit 400 for the HP, then get 4k in the season for the 10-pack. everything else was bonus.

Now, I just go to 575 for the 10cp most times, every once in a while I'll try to hit 900, which I've only done once or twice.

• JarvindJarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to get it pretty regularly as a 3* player. It always involved at least one shield hop, though.
  • halirinhalirin Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    I used to pretty regularly hit the 4*progression with only 3*s, but then I got a couple champed 4*s, so I started using those. 
  • StarfuryStarfury Age Unconfirmed Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I never even bothered without 4* champs.

1. Just too much effort compared to the amount of work you have to put in.
    2. 3* characters only really start to benefit from being boosted around level 200, so even having boosted 3* didn't really accelerate the fights.
    3. While at the 3* stage, I didn't have HP to spend on multiple shields per event.

I don't really doubt it's possible though. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
  • MpqTronMpqTron Age Unconfirmed Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I never hit the 800 mark with a fully champed 3 star roster. I now have 6 champed 4's and I've only ever had one boosted per event. I still don't hit the 800 point mark on a regular basis and I've never hit 900 for the 4 star cover even though I'm firmly in the 4 star transition. My mmr puts me up against 2 x champed 4:s every time past 650. Makes it very hard to get to 800 let alone 900
  • Beer40Beer40 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I never did it. I'm sure its doable but I decided it wasn't worth my time, effort, and resources.
  • AlluAlluAlluAllu Age Unconfirmed Posts: 86 Match Maker
    People usually start attacking me when I pass 500 points so I just try to grab those 10 CP and leave. PvP is too stressfull for my tastes.
  • revskiprevskip Age Unconfirmed Posts: 696 Critical Contributor
    I did a handful of times with a pure 3* roster.  The trick was to start very early and shield up often.  I would also sometimes be able to hit the 4* reward if I lucked into a cupcake or two.  

I've been in 4* land for a bit now and I can easily hit 900 with a hop or two.  Still can't climb to 1200 without heavy shielding.  PVP rewards are skewed heavily towards the best rosters.  In many cases it is very rough on transitioners since getting the resource you need to advance is somewhat gated to people who already have made the transition.  

I've heard it becomes much easier with outside of game communication (Line) but I've never gone that route.  
  • FightmastermpqFightmastermpq Age Unconfirmed Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    When I was a 3* player I weaseled my way into a T100 alliance with an 800 minimum I think.  I would hit it probably half of the events and the heavy hitters would make up for my score.  Getting that extra cover every event really helped me progress.
  • MissChinchMissChinch Age Unconfirmed Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

I was softcapping at around 200 prior to vaulting (now I've just been hoarding trying to figure out the most efficient way to spend iso and cp)  but on most events, in slice 4 and with persistence, a 200 peggy with 5 red and 5 blue can take you there with IM40 regardless of boosting or shielding. 

I'd have to shield to get to 900 with any frequency, even then it might not work, and beyond that is impossible.

At 200 you can reliably sprint up to 575 on 10 health packs without having to float, to go further I need to start early and try to float around 600 while health packs recharge, usually not getting knocked down any further than 500.  Then its just a matter of hoping I get good queues.

Anything beyond 575 really isn't worth the effort for me with my roster.