What's the General Feeling on Trap Tiles?

2»

Comments

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I enjoy traps. Daredevil plus three star Cyclops can get crazy fun.

Unlike many other game mechanics, you have to be a little more strategic to get the most out of them. Look at the board and  see what matches are likely before you put out your trap tiles, pay attention to who you're fighting, etc.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^Mag's yellow isn't a passive. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spider-Woman = Trap Queen
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin said:
    I enjoy traps. Daredevil plus three star Cyclops can get crazy fun.

Unlike many other game mechanics, you have to be a little more strategic to get the most out of them. Look at the board and  see what matches are likely before you put out your trap tiles, pay attention to who you're fighting, etc.
    A clear problem with your suggestion is that all too often you are only using them as an essential and the event generally manages to have them going up against a goon or somebody with a passive that can easily overwrite them.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    I think combining trap tiles with countdown tiles could be one way to make them somewhat more interesting. Kind of like a variation on deadpool's countdown for what. 

Eg. Make 5 countdown tiles that do 1k dmg each, but 1 of them also secretly does 3k dmg if matched away (change damage level appropriately for your stage of the game). 

Again, it wouldn't make a difference to the AI since it matches whatever regardless, but it could make for an interesting ability in pvp. It would also add an element of risk and strategy in choosing whether or not to try to match them away. 
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Daredevil, X-23, Fury, and Winter Soldier use trap tiles that have a pretty unique function in the paper-rock-scissors gameplay of MPQ. They hard-counter powers that change the color of basic tiles and cause massive cascades, like Hulk's Anger.

They are the best counter to these powers because they can change color as if they were a basic tile (unlike CD tiles) and then be part of a match that triggers their effects.

Daredevil, Fury, and X-23 are great 3* Iron Fist / Hulk / Thor killers. I love to put out a bunch of traps and then make Hulk ver angry. The next turn, he'll likely turn a trap tile green and cause a match, ending him before he can follow up with his green power.

On the flip-side, I love to spam IFs purple to blow up the board and reign in black AP. But if Daredevil, X-23, Winter Soldier or a Kishu have trap tiles on the board, that could be a big mistake.