Known Issue: Story Mode Nodes *Updated (4/13/17)

Options

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So it's not been mentioned as a bug and not a feature.

That makes me VERY curious. Either...
    1) They told Brigby that it was a feature and he relayed that news to unexpected backlash, so they're reverting it.
    2) They didn't tell Brigby that it was a bug and he made a topic on his own announcing this sudden change so we know it was something the team knew about and not just a "Spot the changes!" update they tried to slip by us
    3) They didn't tell Brigby *anything* and only *now* has he found out about it.

Either way, I get the feeling Brigby got blindsided by this, which is a terrible thing to do to your community relations guy. If something happens within the game that needs pointing out, Brigby should be given the information on it.

Brigby has either been lied to or mis-informed. In any case I want to hope Brigby sends them an e-mail entitled "**** guys!?" and gets this sorted out.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    New McG said:
    While I appreciate the communication on this, the backtracking on this seems more disingenuous than on some of the recent changes. (For most of which I've tried to be fairly defensive of the devs.)

When the defense to this one is "well, this changed but other bugs didn't get fixed because the UI team is different from the gameplay team", and then after it's universally disliked the story changes to, "oops, no, wait it's an 'issue' to be addressed", that makes it seem like the initial story was a way to try and avoid having to deal with the bug by selling it as a "new feature". It makes it sound as if the UI team had specifically made an effort to explain why the "new feature" had happened, because otherwise it would make the most sense for it to be explained as "it's a bug, we'll get it fixed". It's mildly disheartening as someone who really wants to think the team behind the game has the best intentions, even on seemingly small things.
    I want to be as transparent as I can, so I will take fault for this confusion. This was not the fault of the development team. It was originally communicated to me as a change due to a bug, however it appears I misread it as an intentional design change, and announced it as such.

The backtracking was not to mislead the player base, but rather my correction of the announcement to display the intended appropriate information. Once again, I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.  

Apology accepted. Carry on. :)
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So as I posted - I was correct.  It was a bug that was then tried to be covered as an "improvement" only to then realize it was doing what they thought either.

High comedy of errors.  
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Brigby, thanks for keeping us updated and explaining what happened.  No need to apologize, I'm just happy this is in fact a bug and not a new feature. 

During your discussion with them this morning, did the Devs give any idea when this would be resolved?

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    New McG said:
    While I appreciate the communication on this, the backtracking on this seems more disingenuous than on some of the recent changes. (For most of which I've tried to be fairly defensive of the devs.)

When the defense to this one is "well, this changed but other bugs didn't get fixed because the UI team is different from the gameplay team", and then after it's universally disliked the story changes to, "oops, no, wait it's an 'issue' to be addressed", that makes it seem like the initial story was a way to try and avoid having to deal with the bug by selling it as a "new feature". It makes it sound as if the UI team had specifically made an effort to explain why the "new feature" had happened, because otherwise it would make the most sense for it to be explained as "it's a bug, we'll get it fixed". It's mildly disheartening as someone who really wants to think the team behind the game has the best intentions, even on seemingly small things.
    I want to be as transparent as I can, so I will take fault for this confusion. This was not the fault of the development team. It was originally communicated to me as a change due to a bug, however it appears I misread it as an intentional design change, and announced it as such.

The backtracking was not to mislead the player base, but rather my correction of the announcement to display the intended appropriate information. Once again, I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.  

@Skrofa @mpqr7 [Added as they had asked about this in a previous comment]
    Again, appreciate the clarification. Miscommunication stinks, as does having to be the middleman.

As I said, I've tried my best to be a neutral party in the discussions of some of the other various changes lately. The message of this one was what threw me, and I'm glad it's just a bug. If nothing else, should a beneficial change to the UI come from this somewhere down the road, it will be worth the hassle. Thanks again, Brigby.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So as I posted - I was correct.  It was a bug that was then tried to be covered as an "improvement" only to then realize it was doing what they thought either.

High comedy of errors.  
    Except if you actually read Brigby's responses, it wasn't that at all, and you are wrong.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sorry that I'm dubious of any messages coming from the devs at this point, and while it's nice that brigby is taking one for the team, im not buying.

You believe what you like, and I'll do the same.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Felonius

This was a rather recent bug occurrence, so I'm afraid I am not aware of a definitive time-frame for the fix. I will be sure to update everyone should I receive news of a fix date.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phew.. that's a relief. I don't care how this got mixed up and reported as an intended change, I'm just really glad it turns out to be a bug. Best moment of the day!  ;)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    What is the dev's goal?  User-friendly UI?  Ease in understanding your progress at a glance?  If yes, revert to prior or implement one of the many suggestions.  Is your goal confusion?  Making things unclear for some reason?  Leave as is.

The green check mark was widely praised.  It makes it easier and more fun to play the game.  Again, what is your goal?
    This earlier comment was not fair in light of the clarification.  It was poorly timed as well.  Apologies to Brigby and devs.  

Thanks to Brigby for taking resposibility too.
  • nickaraxnos
    nickaraxnos Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby i am reading your first post (edit version) and it says its a known bug.
    But a few comments before you are saying is a rather recent bug occurence.
    My english are not very good so i might not understand well but i think these 2 sentences dont fit. No?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Brigby i am reading your first post (edit version) and it says its a known bug.
    But a few comments before you are saying is a rather recent bug occurence.
    My english are not very good so i might not understand well but i think these 2 sentences dont fit. No?
    The developers are aware of the bug, therefore I say that it is a known bug, however it was still only a recent discovery, therefore there is no definitive time-frame yet for the fix. I hope that provides some more clarity.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Dragon_Nexus

This was not the fault of the development team, but rather my own fault of misreading the information they presented me with. I did make the announcement on my own to inform the players of this change, but the information given was originally intended to be a notice of a bug, as opposed to a new feature.

I have edited the title, updated the original post, and made a few comment replies to explain myself further. (One of which is actually above your post, coincidentally)

@Brigby Apologies for not seeing your post.

The actual reason is better than the scenario I was envisioning, for sure. I posed in frustration simply because I couldn't believe this 'feature' was a bug and they hadn't actually told you.

I'm much happier to accept human error as a reason for this kind of topic compared to deception. So this is a much better outcome.

Apologies again for casting shade where there was none.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Felonius

This was a rather recent bug occurrence, so I'm afraid I am not aware of a definitive time-frame for the fix. I will be sure to update everyone should I receive news of a fix date.

Brigby,

Understood.  I eagerly look forward to your update.  Thanks for the reply and keeping us up to date!

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LordXberk said:
    Borstock said:
    I don't like the change, but I will admit to having a hard time figuring out what is so difficult about keeping track of how many times you've cleared a node. I always play in order. That order changes depending on my mood and whether or not I'm competing or just clearing for rewards, but it's an order nonetheless. I rarely look at the clears number at all. I know how many times I've cleared a particular node because I know where I am in the order.
    Uh, good luck doing that in the Florida sub when you go for your final clear.
    I'm sure you have a point, I'm just not sure what it is. I had no problem with it.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ejm04 said:
    Borstock said:
    I don't like the change, but I will admit to having a hard time figuring out what is so difficult about keeping track of how many times you've cleared a node. I always play in order. That order changes depending on my mood and whether or not I'm competing or just clearing for rewards, but it's an order nonetheless. I rarely look at the clears number at all. I know how many times I've cleared a particular node because I know where I am in the order.

That works for ordered subs. Florida was a mess. Savage Land isn't much better. There are plenty out there that aren't along a straight progression.
    Yeah, it's really difficult for me to move from left to right.