My Feedback on and Breakdown of the updated Trial of the Planes *Wall of Text*

2»

Comments

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    @Irgy
    It's a valid point that you brought up and which @tygray24 also talked about in the other Trial of the Planes topic, which is about the time needed to play Trial. And by any measure (even if I don't agree with the way tygray24 did the comparison) Trial of the Planes does not give good rewards for the time invested relative to the other events.

But we have to bear in mind that the purpose of Trial of the Planes is as a conversion event for players who want to earn Jewels more quickly and are willing to spend Crystals for it (with a little more bonus stuff on the side). If Trial of the Planes had a similar reward-to-time ratio as the other events, it would no longer be an optional event. People would feel obliged to play Trial to gain the rewards.

So yeah, I would agree that if you're time-strapped then Trial of the Planes is the first to forgo.

spesler said:
    Trials isn't really *for* the lower tiers.  It is supposed to entice players to master more cards and move up.  And that's ok.

What is NOT ok is the sorry state of the elite packs.  I just cashed in my purple things for yet another duplicate mythic.  If this is the big reward that everyone is supposed to aspire to, how about they actually make it worth something?
    I would agree that the Elite Packs should not be giving duplicates, otherwise the whole process just comes off as a waste of time if you draw a duplicate.
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    @Irgy
    It's a valid point that you brought up and which @tygray24 also talked about in the other Trial of the Planes topic, which is about the time needed to play Trial. And by any measure (even if I don't agree with the way tygray24 did the comparison) Trial of the Planes does not give good rewards for the time invested relative to the other events.

But we have to bear in mind that the purpose of Trial of the Planes is as a conversion event for players who want to earn Jewels more quickly and are willing to spend Crystals for it (with a little more bonus stuff on the side). If Trial of the Planes had a similar reward-to-time ratio as the other events, it would no longer be an optional event. People would feel obliged to play Trial to gain the rewards.
    Yes! This is a point that I think many people are missing when they talk about the value of rewards of TotP. (I myself didn't really get it when they first announced the event.) You can't compare rewards in this event to rewards in other events when evaluating the design. As I understand it, it's an event designed to top-tier players to play when they've run out of other stuff to play. The problem with the original reward payout was that -even if- I were platinum, had great decks, and wanted to play lots of MtGPQ, it wasn't clear that TotP was a worthwhile use of crystals.