WG and BG planeswalkers

Szamsziel
Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
With release of Tezzereth the Schemer the only missing combination of colors are WG and BG. In paper Aether Revolt WG was covered by Ajani, we also got his Oath so I can predict it sooner or later hits the floor.  But what about BG combination?  There was two. planeswalkers which could fit perfectly :
Garruk the Apex Predator - m15 - his abilities would be easy to transfer to mtgpq
Vraska the Unseen - (here may be issue with legality as this is only from jace vs Vraska dual deck)

Please give black green combination some love!

Comments

• MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    We should get Ajani Unyielding (WG) for Aether Revolt.
    Amonkhet isnt out yet but it doesnt look like there will be BG in it, and we have no idea whats in store for its expansion Hour of devestation - however back in december there was a leak that showed the paper card pack art for Amonkhet/Hour of Devestation, and the next block Atlazan and Conquest of Power which looked to have Vraska on one of the Atlazan packs, so you might have to wait until september for a BG planeswalker
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    On a related note, Wizards initially was going to heavily feature the Gatewatch planeswalkers (Gideon, Chandra, Nissa, Liliana, and Jace) in all sets. Feedback from the community was that we liked them, but wanted to see more design space for new or returning planeswalkers, and they have decided to go along with pulling back on those five in order to give space for others. However, because of design schedules, they weren't able to accommodate that until Hour of Devestation. So at that point I expect we may see some new design space for older planeswalkers to return, I think Vraska would be a good fit for Hour of Devastation, mostly because gorgon and Egypt says snakes to me. <shrug>

As far as what we can expect upcoming in the future: Ajani Unyielding is still not yet in the game from Aether Revolt. Given the normal rotation, I would expect to see him available for purchase with real money April 20th. For Amonkhet, we already know there will be another Gideon, still in mono-white, another Liliana, still in mono-black, and another Nissa, this time in green-blue (expect to see Kiora dethroned because power creep). There's still design space for more planeswalkers to be included in Amonkhet, so we may see some new faces there too. Bolas almost certainly be in Hour of Devestation, but I wonder if he'll be skipped. Three color planeswalkers seem to be too powerful for this format, and he's historically been red-black-blue. I think this also because Tamiyo was skipped in Eldritch Moon, and she was white-blue-green.

Also just as a side note, Vraska was only in the duel deck, she had a card in the Return to Ravnica set. There also was the black/green aligned planeswalker in Garruk Relentless/Garruk Veil Cursed which if they can get access to the original Innistrad block I think they could do some really interesting things with. Like, maybe make his mana gains different on this green face than on his black face. But the problem with either version of Garruk or Vraska is getting access to older sets.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    In a leak a while ago Vraska was shown on pack art for a set after Amonkhet - the set name was something like atlantis.

Keep in mind this was just a leak and most likely not an actual thing that will happen - however it would be great if they could bring back original vraska as an older planeswalker - similar to what they did with ajani, koth, tezzeret etc. etc.

Im looking forward to W/G though, Deploy in green sounds awesome! :)
  • Szamsziel
    Deploy 3 gaes revenge? Yes please:)
  • wereotter
    In a leak a while ago Vraska was shown on pack art for a set after Amonkhet - the set name was something like atlantis.

Keep in mind this was just a leak and most likely not an actual thing that will happen - however it would be great if they could bring back original vraska as an older planeswalker - similar to what they did with ajani, koth, tezzeret etc. etc.

Im looking forward to W/G though, Deploy in green sounds awesome! :)

This is the image you mean. I'm not convinced that's Vraska rather than just a generic gorgon. The face does look similar, but they're not generally in the habit of changing what planeswalkers wear. It does happen, but not all that often. This is Vraska for reference:

I'll concede that it COULD be her, but I'm not convinced that it absolutely IS her. I'm also not yet convinced that the leak is for an actual upcoming MTG set, though again it could be. That said, with all that's been going on in the story, all signs right now are looking that there will be another set taking place on Dominaria before going to this new plane. The story is making references to that plane, as well as the 20-year anniversary of the game is upcoming, so going back to the very first plane would be fitting.
  • BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Bump.
    This post is a few months old; however, I want to see a Black/Green planeswalker. This is a good card grouping in MTGPQ. There are many planeswalkers to choose from with this color combo.
  • wereotter
    Bump.
    This post is a few months old; however, I want to see a Black/Green planeswalker. This is a good card grouping in MTGPQ. There are many planeswalkers to choose from with this color combo.
    It has been confirmed since my last posting that the planeswalker on the pack is indeed Vraska and that she will be in the set following Hour of Devestation. Her singular printing to date has been black green, so it's fair to assume she will be again, but there is no guarantee.
  • nosada_kage
    nosada_kage Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I would also love to see a good BG planeswalker.
  • ROYGBV00
    ROYGBV00 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    It would definitely solve Green's lack of creature removal!
  • BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    From the last free booster, I pulled a dupe Pharika's Disciple. 
    On a whim, I decided to find out who Pharika was.
    Related image

I was not disappointed... she is a Black/Green God. We need to get black/green up in here.
    Furthermore, Pharika has a mender, a cure, and a chosen.
    Black/Green is an obvious missing color class in  MTGPQ and opens up the game to a ton of great cards: gorgons, gaveyard bouncing, and making snakes (they must fall out of her hair) to name a few ideas.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think MtGPQ strays from the paper version. If she isn't a PW there (which she isn't, she is a god) she won't be in this game.

Vraska is Golgari so she looks to be the one to fill the gap.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Elspeth wasn't in HoD in paper.  So yeah, they stray.
  • Rhasget
    Elspeth is a PW in paper also, might not be in the same block though.

What I mean is that they don't seem to add anything that doesn't exist in paper. I'm not into paper MTG so can't say for sure.
  • wereotter
    Rhasget said:
    Elspeth is a PW in paper also, might not be in the same block though.

What I mean is that they don't seem to add anything that doesn't exist in paper. I'm not into paper MTG so can't say for sure.
    They haven't added anything new, but they have added planeswalkers and cards that aren't connected to the sets they are a part of. Pharika won't be added in as a planeswalker because she is not a planeswalker. She's a god on a world inspired by Greek mythology, and if you looked into it, there are 15 gods on that world all of different color alignment combinations.

As far as planeswalkers that could have been added up to this point, you had two versions of Garruk in black/green and one of Vraska. Given that it's confirmed that Vraska will be on Ixalan, there's a good chance that we will be seeing a black/green planeswalker at that point. That said, however, they do sometimes change color alignments of planeswalkers from one printing to the next. Recent examples include Tamiyo going from mono-blue in her first printing to Bant colors (white, blue, green) in her second card. Nissa also saw a color added this last time around from mono-green on every printing to Simic colors (blue, green) on this latest one.

As far as my other point, they did add one card in Hour of Devestation that did not exist in the set. Crumbling Necropolis is an paper MtG card, but it was not printed in Hour of Devestation. I suspect they just used that card as it was easier to incorporate mechanically than a different, but similar land that was included, Crypt of the Eternals.
  • Szamsziel
    Issue in Ixalan is that we know that there will be 4 trials:
    Vampires (wb) pirates (bur), merfolks(UG) and dinosaurs (rg). And Vraska do not fit there with being BG. Maybe in Rivals of Ixalan she will make a stand.
  • Szamsziel
    edited September 2017
    Double posted... Sorry
  • wereotter
    Szamsziel said:
    Vampires (wb) pirates (bur), merfolks(UG) and dinosaurs (rg). And Vraska do not fit there with being BG. Maybe in Rivals of Ixalan she will make a stand.
    It's possible, but they also don't wait to release planeswalkers just because they don't fit the tribes. Shadows over Innistrad was a tribal set with white/blue spirits, blue/black zombies, black/red vampires, red/green werwolves, and green/white humans. Nahiri didn't fit any of those tribes being red/white, but she was still put into the set.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Szamsziel said:

Unfortunately for all of us craving a black/green PW, you make a really solid point. However, Ixalan previews have shown a new Jace PW and a Red/White pw… Leaving a void in black green. I’d say there’s a chance we see Vraska in Ixalan, but I’m not exactly holding my breath

• Rhasget
    It has been confirmed that Vraskas is a Black/Green PW in Ixalan. Leaks of the card can be found in General Discussion.