Known Issue: Story Mode Nodes *Updated (4/13/17)

Comments

• mwc
    mwc Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Brigby said:
    @mwc
    I can definitely ask them when I get a chance to.

Just to stimulate the beginnings of a brainstorm session, lets say hypothetically this icon stays permanently. What would be an addition or update to it that would alleviate the concern of not knowing if you finished the node or not?

For example, would @killerkoala 's suggestion be a fitting solution?
    is there a way to put a "points worth" into the UI so we can just look at the top of the node and know the points it is worth; so we don't need to click it to know how much they are worth?

I think it would be better to have some little notification on/around the node of the number of clears done. Perhaps with each clear there is a bar around the node that gets filled 1/6th of the way?
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler

Of all the UI improvements we've asked for over the last 3 years, this is not one of them
    Yup, what happened to the ss of a new ui layout that someone had made? The one that had a new layout and was easy to see all the elements. None of that ever got incorporated into an future ideas. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    This boggles the mind.

So now the icons for "replayable, not all rewards collected" and "replayable, all rewards collected" were merged and this was supposed to improve the information content?

The old UI was perfectly adequate, just roll back the change and people will be perfectly happy.

If the UI designer needs something to pass the time, I support @Pongie 's idea
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Wow. This is taking away an easy to see information indicator, without adding any new visual information.  It didn't even change to a green check after I did my final clears to bring the nodes down to zero, so it's not really "indicating there are more points left" is it?

Any UI designer who thought this was a good change needs to have their head examined.
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

We have recently decided to implement a change to what the UI for mission completion looks like. Instead of a green check-mark, players will now see the yellow arrow icon to signify that this node is available for continued play-through for additional points.

Wouldn't the yellow arrow always be present then since we can grind nodes infinitely (for 1 pt each) until the event timer runs out?

If the node changes to a green check at 1pt, does it turn back to yellow at 2pts?
  • WRIGHT3OUS
    WRIGHT3OUS Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Infrared said:
    blargrx said:

Yup, what happened to the ss of a new ui layout that someone had made? The one that had a new layout and was easy to see all the elements. None of that ever got incorporated into an future ideas. 
    I believe this is it:
    http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30408/suggestions-for-the-mobile-user-interface-img/p1

I would also very much like to see that done.
    That would be amazing. They'd have to create a different store that charged real money to fund the change though.  They haven't cleared enough yet.  
  • WRIGHT3OUS
    WRIGHT3OUS Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Brigby said:
    Infrared said:
    blargrx said:

I believe this is it:
    http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30408/suggestions-for-the-mobile-user-interface-img/p1

That's quite a nice design! I'm not sure how difficult it would be to develop the +/- AP notifications, or the number indicators at the top, but I can certainly appreciate the informative layout of it all.
    I'll be sure to pass it along to the team for their feedback. Thanks for providing that link!

Does anyone have any other suggestions specifically pertaining to the Story mode Node UI?
    Bruh.... He made that post in June of 2015.... It's not going to happen. 
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'll echo that comment.  I prefer the green checkmark system.  Easier to keep track of unclaimed rewards, and it satisfies my OCD no end.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:
    Infrared said:
    blargrx said:

I believe this is it:

That's quite a nice design! I'm not sure how difficult it would be to develop the +/- AP notifications, or the number indicators at the top, but I can certainly appreciate the informative layout of it all.
    I'll be sure to pass it along to the team for their feedback. Thanks for providing that link!

Does anyone have any other suggestions specifically pertaining to the Story mode Node UI?
    @brigby, They could have the green checkmark when all 6 rewards are earned, and then have it change to a different color check if no more points are available from that node.  It would need to change back to green when points regenerated, I suppose.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    morph3us said:
    I'll echo that comment.  I prefer the green checkmark system.  Easier to keep track of unclaimed rewards, and it satisfies my OCD no end.
    especially on the nodes that will never have points after clearing them to "0". I also vote for the circle idea showing if points are available. 

A while back you had to double tap the node to enter it. I think it even had how many rewards were left to earn. perhaps a viable option would be tap the node once, see how many rewards are left to earn (i.e. 0/6, 1/6, etc) and the point value (i.e. 641/641, 152/641, etc). 

Benefit: speed grinders would have an "at a glance" option instead of having to open the node, look at the point value, and back out and do it all over again in another node.

Con: the Hulk event where all the nodes are on top of each other.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    This has already been implemented and caused my a lot of confusion trying to figure out which nodes I should still clear in the current PvE. This post now helps me understand it, but doesn't change that I'll be increasingly confused about where to play without clicking several nodes for more information. Really bad change and makes the game less user friendly than more.

Like others have said, I can't think of a reason why this would be a helpful change. Is it just the graphics people thinking it looks more literal because you can actually still play it where a "check mark" looks like you can't? If that's the case it's much more useable in it's old form

Brigby, since you're looking for some solutions, a completely new icon or visual to show this would work because we would know the four clears are done, but it is still playable.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said:
    Nepenthe said:
    Brigby said:
    Infrared said:
    blargrx said:

I believe this is it:

They could have the green checkmark when all 6 rewards are earned, and then have it change to a different color check if no more points are available from that node.  It would need to change back to green when points regenerated, I suppose.
    Perhaps a yellow checkmark if 6 clears are completed, but there are still points available; turning green if / when none are available?
    Oh woes! Green and Yellow are so difficult for those of us who are colorly challenged. ;)
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a real problem and should probably be rolled back.  The reason why people relied on the green check marks was to get an indication of what they had to clear to complete the prize progression table.

Specifically we were told that progression rewards were tied to 4x clears of each node, and that the checkmarks indicated whether the player had "won" all the prizes on each node.

The new UI makes it much harder to determine those 2 objectives.

I'm going to avoid making a snarky remark in the hopes that the UI designers understand how this worsens the PVE experience and not improve it.

And on that note, I think its worth noting that this change actually hurts new players much more than veteran players.  Comp PVE players have their timing down to the min.  This won't slow or hinder a comp PVE in the slightest.  But newer players dont have the same knowledge or exp of how to play optimal pve.

This change makes it harder to play pve not easier.

At the the end of the day, the only thing that is important is:

1.  How many more times do I need to hit this node to ensure I make the 15cp prog prize.

2.  How many more times do I need to hit to win all the prizes.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Infrared said:
    blargrx said:

I believe this is it:

Yeah, the devs have already seen that.  They indicated that it wasn't going to happen at the time of suggestion because they needed to provide legacy support for non-widescreen format devices, like the iPhone 4S etc, and the UI wasn't going to fit satisfactorily on those devices.  Not sure what their device metrics show now in terms of number of non-widescreen devices running MPQ.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Go try playing The Hunt:Florida sub like this and try to figure out which nodes you need to clear next. A much better idea would be a yellow check mark after 6 clears, then green if no more points are available.