Enemy Passives Erroneously Firing In Wave Missions (merged) [Investigating]

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not intended. Happens with a few different characters with passive effects coming in on a wave node after a downed enemy. I know it also happens with Hulk. I think other variations have been reported.

Here's one such thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61932
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2017
    Hy there,

Just encountered a bug in current HULK PvE event, mission Hulk Sighting: Nevada IV, involving 4* Captain Marvel (C4rol).

I had a team of Old Man Logan (5), Captain Marvel (4), and Dr Strange (3) and my strong color was black. The enemy team had Daken, Ares and Yelena and their strongest color was black too. So I let them make a black match and this is what happened:

I got the AP from Energy Manipulation, but not the AoE damage to the enemy team.

It took me 4 games to actually understand what was happening. Daken had the strongest color in Black (84 dmg), and Ares had the strongest color in Green (84 damage).

Since it was a tie in strongest color, the game probably chose a random one (or maybe there's a formula for it). This means that the formula behind the AoE damage of 4* Captain Marvel's Energy Manipulation does not take into account the rare situations in which there are 2 members of the enemy team who share the same number for their strongest color.

After Ares was killed, the ability started to work correctly. So that was the issue behind the power doesn't working as intended, even though the description of the ability clearly stated that both team's strongest color was the same (black).

Now this bug may be minor in PvE, but it can become a huge exploit in PvP, since you can just avoid enemy C4rol's AoE damage if you have 2 members of your team sharing a tie in the strongest color.

TL,DR:
    4* Captain Marvel's Green Ability (Energy Manipulation) is bugged. In the rare situation in which the enemy team has 2 members that are sharing 2 different strong colors with the same damage number, only the first part of C4rol ability works (you receive the AP corectly), but the AoE does not fire.
  • MunitionsFrenzy
    MunitionsFrenzy Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Since it was a tie in strongest color, the game probably chose a random one (or maybe there's a formula for it).
    In general, the order is 2/1/3 when picking your characters. That is, the character in the center, then the character on the left, is prioritized in the event of a tie for strongest color. You can test this easily by choosing two characters with the same damage value for a given tile, entering a match, and seeing who deals damage when the tile is matched (or just clicking a basic tile).

IIRC, the order was swapped recently in terms of how enemy teams appear. So that Ares/Daken/Yelena team you're showing there would've previously had Daken as the winner of ties, but now Ares is instead. Perhaps that's the problem here: the order wasn't swapped for how the strongest color displays, only how it actually works with powers.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Since it was a tie in strongest color, the game probably chose a random one (or maybe there's a formula for it).
    In general, the order is 2/1/3 when picking your characters. That is, the character in the center, then the character on the left, is prioritized in the event of a tie for strongest color. You can test this easily by choosing two characters with the same damage value for a given tile, entering a match, and seeing who deals damage when the tile is matched (or just clicking a basic tile).

IIRC, the order was swapped recently in terms of how enemy teams appear. So that Ares/Daken/Yelena team you're showing there would've previously had Daken as the winner of ties, but now Ares is instead. Perhaps that's the problem here: the order wasn't swapped for how the strongest color displays, only how it actually works with powers.
    No, because I receive the AP when the correct color is matched, but it win't fire the AoE because of tie strong colors. 

Happened again in SIM just 1h from now. It's clearly a bug, and it should be addressed somehow. 
  • D4Ni13

No, because I receive the AP when the correct color is matched, but it win't fire the AoE because of tie strong colors. 

Happened again in SIM just 1h from now. It's clearly a bug, and it should be addressed somehow. 
  • D4Ni13
    edited April 2017

No, because I receive the AP when the correct color is matched, but it won't fire the AoE because of tie strong colors. 

After I kill someone of the 2 tie strong color owners, it works correctly. So it's the tie that makes it a problem.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    The system has been inconsistent about its "strongest color" determination since it was introduced. See this during a Balance of Power PVP when you place Black Widow Grey Suit or Scarlet Witch in the center and Professor X off to the side, and you'll get purple during one mission for a match 5 and blue on the next mission with the same set up.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Agreed and re-confirmed this bug today. Absorption happens but no AoE damage is dealt. 
    Carol's green power description in-match even states that (in my tests) that both teams strongest color was Black.
    I'm surprised we don't have hundreds of players mentioning this! Ha
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm surprised we don't have hundreds of players mentioning this! Ha
    I think it's getting there by now.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I had this happen to me again.  I noticed that my team had Jean Grey and Carol Danvers at the same level.  With Carol in front it said that Black was the strongest power for both teams and it would give me AP but would not AoE the other team when they matched black.  Same team with Jean in front and it would say that Purple was my strongest and Black was the other teams' strongest.

Basically, Carol's power won't work if there is a tie for strongest power regardless of what the description on the power says.
  • Supravenbull
    Supravenbull Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Had this happen to me multiple times. Strongest color is yellow for both teams, enemy makes a yellow match, yellow is generated, no team damage. Was paired with wasp and 3* spidey. I noticed the tie in match damage between 2 of them but it's happened to me before that as well. very annoying and misleading. 

Also had a match where it wasn't causing damage, downed an enemy and then it started working.. Can't remember who it was. Hope D3 sees this and can patch it. 
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Killing an enemy can cause the enemy team's strongest power color to change.  If I'm paying attention I try to keep the character who's strongest color matches my team until the end to maximize damage.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Tombstone,

If you would like to recreate it quickly, have a wave node with 4+ characters, the first three low level and the 4th being 3*Marvel. Then have Thanos Court Death to kill the first three characters. 3* Marvel will probably Absorb 3 times.

Thank you for looking into it.
    This just happened to me in the Enchilada.  Captain Marvel was not on screen when the Court Death damage was dealt, but she triggered her Energy Absorption.
  • justplainchips
    justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Had this happen to me multiple times. Strongest color is yellow for both teams, enemy makes a yellow match, yellow is generated, no team damage. Was paired with wasp and 3* spidey. I noticed the tie in match damage between 2 of them but it's happened to me before that as well. very annoying and misleading. 

Also had a match where it wasn't causing damage, downed an enemy and then it started working.. Can't remember who it was. Hope D3 sees this and can patch it. 
    I had something like this happen as well...where it wasn't working early in the match, but later on, as an enemy or two went down, it did work.
    I wish I had payed closer attention to the match.

But yeah, this bug is super annoying. It is seemingly random, but it's happening all of the time. I suppose I should start recording every single match I use Carol in. :(
  • Supravenbull
    Supravenbull Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    I had something like this happen as well...where it wasn't working early in the match, but later on, as an enemy or two went down, it did work.
    I wish I had payed closer attention to the match.

But yeah, this bug is super annoying. It is seemingly random, but it's happening all of the time. I suppose I should start recording every single match I use Carol in. :(

That would be every match for me. Her and Wasp are my only 2 4s champs. pretty much my only team right now. 
  • loslupus77
    loslupus77 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    I don't know which is worse, Demi's inability to fix this bug or their insistence on using bugged characters on wave nodes. It shouldn't be that hard to switch out Cap Marvel, CStorm and others 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not just in Wave missions. I've fought against H3lk and De4dpool in a regular match, and when I do AOE damage with them, they do multiple black angry tiles.

4DP did four (!!) anger tiles when I did AOE to the team, and hulk did two anger tiles every time I did large damage to him.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    @mpqr7
      Who were you using when that happened?
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    On wave missions it happens with all characters, regardless of your team. Also, some of the opponent's powers don't always trigger the passive response from my team (Dr. Strange's flame of the whatever and Carol's energy absorbtion).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    It's not just in Wave missions. I've fought against H3lk and De4dpool in a regular match, and when I do AOE damage with them, they do multiple black angry tiles.

4DP did four (!!) anger tiles when I did AOE to the team, and hulk did two anger tiles every time I did large damage to him.
    This sounds like you're discussing another issue.  Some skills with a bonus damage portion are doing that damage as two (or even more) separate incidents.  For example, Daken blue does one hit for its base damage, then resolves any matches for the two tiles converted to green, and then removes the strike tiles and does their bonus damage.  Moonstone's red attack does its base damage and then the damage for each red tile on screen.

It's perhaps arguable whether this behavior is a bug, in the case of Daken at least it is now taking effect in exactly the order described, but it's definitely a change from how these skills operated in the past.

The thread on this issue is here.