***** Wolverine (Old Man Logan) *****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    I said it somewhere else but now he is useless for defense, like really really easy to defeat in PvP. Probably the easiest 5 to defeat in defense now. You just need to becareful so he doesn't transform, but even if he fires his black, the reduced damage it is much easier to soak now, and he still loses the turn (mm how are IMHB 450 level strike tiles? Probably much stronger than OMLs now). Once you defeat the 3, he is done, a healing of 1.4k is not even enough to soak match damage from a 5 anymore.

PH+OML duos are very easily defeated now.

His healing might be enough for PvE, but it certainly it is not for PvP. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed, I had to switch him out when climbing in predator and prey. You basically have to heal him after every battle now otherwise he will be downed on the second battle. It used to be, you can bring him along with just 1/3 health and he will heal up when you're done. Luckily, I have the boosted 4* for the events (which are good). Hate to see what it's like without him when the boosted 4* are sub par. 
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    Agreed, I had to switch him out when climbing in predator and prey. You basically have to heal him after every battle now otherwise he will be downed on the second battle. It used to be, you can bring him along with just 1/3 health and he will heal up when you're done. Luckily, I have the boosted 4* for the events (which are good). Hate to see what it's like without him when the boosted 4* are sub par. 

I guess people will just go back to the days of healing on trivial nodes in between hops. It wont drive health pack sales people will just be craftier with their usage.
  • dmeleedy
    dmeleedy Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    So the thing that really annoys me about this character change is the fact that it is entirely based upon data analysis instead of thinking about how the game is played.   The real reason this character showed up in so many teams is because it's the only character that passively true heals every turn in the game.   Another solution other than nerfing a 5* would have been to introduce this ability to some other characters in the Marvel universe known to have a healing factor (the list is quite large if you look, and includes a lot of characters already in this game).    Diversification of the cause of the data analysis could have led to more teams using different combinations.   Personally I think that 5* OML was fine as he was.   5* tiers should be special after all.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    dmeleedy said:
    So the thing that really annoys me about this character change is the fact that it is entirely based upon data analysis instead of thinking about how the game is played.   The real reason this character showed up in so many teams is because it's the only character that passively true heals every turn in the game.   
    Other than 3* Wolverine, I assume you mean.

He's the only 5* who heals every turn, and the only character who healed for more than 10% of his total health without a more complicated triggering action or AP cost, certainly.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    To anyone below 5* tier the nerf doesn't look too bad. But in the 5* context that's quite rough. In particular his heal + his low health makes him pretty weak these days.
    I dunno man, I tried using mine at level 360 (where I keep him because ZOMG SCALING) and he was useless even against boosted 4*s. Couldn't keep up with match damage plus his own emo-slicing from red. Five covers in yellow, even.
  • darkestcurse
    darkestcurse Posts: 54 Match Maker
    So what's the new layout?  I'm currently running 4/5/4 to get the most healing and AOE, but would I benefit more from sticking where I am or going up to a 5 on the red or black?  I'm thinking taking the hit on Red since his life will probably be under 40% by the time I get enough AP to get the claws out and the added black strike tile seems better.  I'd be more "okay" with this NERF if they would have lowered the yellow requirement to 6AP for the claws instead and that would help the devs with the over powered healing by stopping it earlier in the match.
  • Bman66
    Bman66 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Bmandzzz a 3 year veteran here, and I can honestly say I'm quite dissapointed. Ive played every day casually and competitively for 2 of those years. I have collected 6 oml covers. He is by far my best unit and to be offered literally half of what hes worth as a pitty offer is a big kick to me. If you are going to do a big nerf like this this then at least offer people the same amount of 5* as they currently had. I play countless other games that follow that principle and I dont believe its much to ask to be reimbursed his full amount in a situation like this.

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    My take on the nerfs.

Living Legend nerf was unneeded. It was a bad skill to begin with, only useful for gaining the second form.

Still Sharp was a borderline case. It was a great damage move, but it was tough to get enough black for it to come out. I think they went too hard on it.

Die Hard: a deserved nerf. It was too good at regaining health at the start of the round, preventing the need for health packs.

Old Habits: Not bad at all. 6AP means you can always use it twice after transforming. You also get all the strike bonuses more times. I don't think of this as a nerf -- it's just different.

His red powers were probably his weakest, and I'm glad they let them be.

In summary OML is now a middle of the pack 5*. He wasn't #1 to begin with -- Black Bolt and Thanos are both a lot better, and they'll probably have to be dealt with once non-paying players get more of their covers. I still consider OML better than Bruce Banner or Black Widow at least. And he's still a good choice for easy PVE nodes.
  • rphelps
    rphelps Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I may need someone to talk me off of the ledge of selling him. I have OML at 3/3/5 lvl 405, but I'm also sitting with 12 covers on BSSM and 11 on Widow. I know RNG will most likely kill me, but so is this scaling in PvP at the moment. Really debating leveling OML to 411 and selling for the 5 covers as crazy as it sounds.
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    rphelps said:
    I may need someone to talk me off of the ledge of selling him. I have OML at 3/3/5 lvl 405, but I'm also sitting with 12 covers on BSSM and 11 on Widow. I know RNG will most likely kill me, but so is this scaling in PvP at the moment. Really debating leveling OML to 411 and selling for the 5 covers as crazy as it sounds.
    I hope you didn't do that. RNG is deadly, and it's not like he's totally useless anyway. I'm still having pretty good results using him to soak up damage and I only have him at 2/1/1.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since Logan is my highest level character at 459, this nerf hit pretty hard. Fortunately I was able to champ Thanos, and he tanks black and TU over Logan, leaving Logan to tank red and yellow.  This works out pretty well, since Logan's lesser healing couldn't keep him alive when he tanked everything.

What really sucks was that before, he was a pretty good way to beat Bolt, but now Bolt wipes the floor with him.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Yea the nurf hit me hard as well my OML is at lvl 405 and I used him constantly in  pve and a reasonable amount in pvp to save on health packs, still do because I have no other choices but that is beside the point.  I like to play fast low cost control teams and his healing is now so bad that in some games he cannot even recover from my team casting their powers so he now takes more damage on a low level node from his team then the enemies.  Since the game has really pushed towards speed this is counter productive and another "unforeseen" consequence of the nurf.  I have understood most of the nurfs these guys have done but this one just makes no sense.  The only plus to the rework is reducing the cost of the yellow to 6, that is now the must 5 on this character.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heal is worthless now against any high end enemy and the self dmg is really hurting him in those tough matches. The minute you lose a teammate you accelerate to a loss with Logan
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the self damage from red is a real problem now.  He needs 2 turns of healing to make up for casting a single ability.  That adds up very quickly if he tanking colors and you have any low cost abilities.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    It's kind of funny. I think my team does more damage to my OML than the enemy team these days with the way his Red and Yellow are.
  • elrak82
    elrak82 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
     Did they kill the "no more guns" tokens?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's bad they need to fix red asap by removing self dmg or Give back some heal to yellow. Black needs some dmg back as well
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    He's bad they need to fix red asap by removing self dmg or Give back some heal to yellow. Black needs some dmg back as well
    LOL!

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    The damage reduction has not bothered me as much as the heal and frankly the yellow aoe is now great at 6 ap even though black and red do not pack quit the punch I have found it is not as necessary after you hit with yellow twice upon activation.  But you are right about that heal, you have to pick your teams very carefully or he gets pounded.  I was forced to put levels into SS so I had a 5 that got some of the tiles so whoever needed to be healed I could put the other up front and it has actually worked well for me.  But on some of the teams I used to run him on it is impossible he takes way too much damage from team powers.  Increase the heal or half the damage either would be effective.