Power Gem Season Updates *Updated (4/6/17)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

The Power Gem Season will be adding Iron Fist (Danny Rand) and Hawkeye (Hawkguy) to packs, and Peggy Carter (Captain America) and Loki (Dark Reign) will be leaving packs.

There will be three characters receiving a character update this Versus Tournament Season: 
  • Elektra (Unkillable)
  • Carnage (Cletus Kassidy)
  • Wolverine (Old Man Logan). 
For the next two weeks, the sell back prices for each of these characters will be updated. We will also be introducing a new Cover store that players can take advantage of if they choose to sell their version of Wolverine (Old Man Logan).

For more information on why we are updating Wolverine (Old Man Logan), please go here:
Message from Lead Designer on Character Updates (4/4/2017)

A preview of the changes are below:

Elektra (Unkillable) Update:

Double-Double Cross
The power now targets strike and attack tiles at power level three, and also targets protect tiles at power level 5. Converts stolen tiles into friendly Strike tiles.

Shadow Step
No Change

Ballet of Death
Trap tiles are created on Red, Black, or Purple tiles. The trap tile created by this power now steals Purple AP as well as damaging the enemy.
  • At power level three, the Trap tile also steals Black AP.
  • At power level five, the power steals Purple, Black, and Red AP as well as damage the enemy.

Carnage (Cletus Kassidy) Update:

Symbiote Scythes
Symbiote Scythes only does single target damage to the enemy. When the team has over 10 Red AP, it does AoE damage to everyone.

Alien Instincts
This is no longer a Passive power. The power costs 5 Black AP and creates two friendly and two enemy Attack tiles. For every downed character, the power creates an additional friendly and enemy Attack tile.

Carnage Rules
The power now costs eight Green AP (instead of eleven).

Wolverine (Old Man Logan) Update:

Living Legend
The strength of the Strike tiles has been made weaker (more so at lower levels of the power).

Die Hard
The healing is reduced and the power now only counts other allies when calculating how much health to restore.

Reluctant Hero
No Change

Still Sharp
Base damage reduced.

Old Habits
The cost of the power is reduced to 6 Yellow AP. The damage is reduced to compensate the change in cost.

Finish the Fight
No Change

No More Guns Cover Store *New Update*

This is a special cover store that contains all 5-Stars except Wolverine (Old Man Logan). The sell back price for Wolverine (Old Man Logan) includes Iso-8 at an increased rate as well as tokens. You will get one No More Guns token at level 255.  You will receive an additional token at levels 287, 319, 367, 411, 427 and 439. Every two Champion levels will also give an additional token. These tokens are the only way to access this Cover store.

Comments

• UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Let the Logan Kvetching....BEGIN!!!

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    No More Guns Cover Store

This is a special cover store that contains all 5-Stars except Wolverine (Old Man Logan). The sell back price for Wolverine (Old Man Logan) includes Iso-8 at an increased rate as well as tokens. You will get one No More Guns token at level 255.  You will receive an additional token at level 300, and every 30 levels after that. Every two Champion levels will also give an additional token. These tokens are the only way to access this Cover store.

Two questions. Are the packs from this store explicitly 5* only? That's what makes sense, to allow people to trade OML covers for other 5* covers, but it could be interpreted as a typical Legendary pack (like Classics/Latest) with 12 newest 4*s, and then all of the 5*s except OML instead of the normal classic/latest split. And that distinction is very significant in determining if this is a worthwhile deal or not.

Also, since it's a token, are they capable of triggering Bonus Heroes? Just curious.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,901 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Excited that Carnage has been nerfed, Especially Alien Instincts that pretty much gave everyone epileptic fits when it happened multiple times per turn. It's going to make those Carnage nodes a WHOLE lot easier.

Also the fact my Carnage has only 1 cover makes it a lot easier to just sell and ignore him since he's vaulted.

KGB
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah Carnage and Medusa was a super fun team to use. But not impossible to beat. Oh well!
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 364 Mover and Shaker
    I always find it funny when there's a nerf of a 4* or 5* because I have never any more than 8 covers on a 4* and 5 on a 5*, so I've never had the fun of playing with great combinations everyone enjoys. So for me, it's just "Oh well! I won't get to have the full fun of that character."

While I find it funny, I hate nerfs. :smiley:
  • Jdob84
    Jdob84 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    No More Guns Cover Store

This is a special cover store that contains all 5-Stars except Wolverine (Old Man Logan). The sell back price for Wolverine (Old Man Logan) includes Iso-8 at an increased rate as well as tokens. You will get one No More Guns token at level 255.  You will receive an additional token at level 300, and every 30 levels after that. Every two Champion levels will also give an additional token. These tokens are the only way to access this Cover store.

All right, nerf who you want... but here is my question... So.. my 2/2/0 lvl 270 Logan will only get me 1 token for trading him in? Or I can spend another 60-70k in iso to level him up enough to get a second RANDOM 5star token? How does trading in covers for a fraction of the cost make any sense? I hate to be negative, but it doesn't even seem like you are trying right now. Please prove me wrong!
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    @Brigby When unusable covers are pulled from the No More Guns cover store, will CS swap them?
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    So after spending hundreds to get my 13 OML covers you nerf the hell out of him a month after I get the last cover,  and the compensation  is 4 covers for random 5 stars????? 
  • Bobby_Lishez
    Bobby_Lishez Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Are we going to get an explanation on the Carnage nerf? I don't know usage stats but he can't pissibly have been too overused, and most people classified him as mid-tier at best. I feel like we just lost some fun and unique teams for no reason.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    gravel said:
    @Brigby When unusable covers are pulled from the No More Guns cover store, will CS swap them?
    Yes. Per the current policy, if you pull a Latest Legends cover from the store, then CS can swap it for you.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Without seeing the numbers side-by-side, did Carnage actually get nerfed? Are we only talking about his ability switching from passive to an AP cost here? Because his passive made him unplayable to me. I never use him and I avoid fighting him when I can because seeing that passive 1,000 times a minute is excruciating.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Brigby said:
    gravel said:
    Yes. Per the current policy, if you pull a Latest Legends cover from the store, then CS can swap it for you.
    That wasnt really the question though brigby.  Will no more guns tokens will be treated as Latest Legends tokens by CS?
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Are we going to get an explanation on the Carnage nerf? I don't know usage stats but he can't pissibly have been too overused, and most people classified him as mid-tier at best. I feel like we just lost some fun and unique teams for no reason.

The usage rate thing is a red herring.  It was never about usage rate (or at least only peripherally about usage) and I'm really skeptical of their 10% number without additional context.  

Most players don't have an OML, and of those that do not all have the yellow covers that make him so useful, so I'm really dubious about that 10% figure.  It's about his healing, and how you could use him to grind nodes and climb in PvP without having to heal or switch out for another character.  That's not the model they want, so they corrected it, at the players' expense.

Edit: Also, OML is nearly impossible to get now, and the odds are only getting worse, so it's not like there is this perpetual flood of a game-breaking character taking over the metagame.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    So used in greater than 10% of all matches won... Who'll be on that list next month? And can we expect a nerf there too? Or was that just a convenient metric to force a change that was originally pitched last September?