Basic booster drop rate nerfed?

Options
ebalnik
ebalnik Posts: 4
edited March 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Has anyone noticed decrease in the drop rate of U/R/M from the free basic boosters since the last update?

Usually I could get at least an uncommon every 1.5-2 packs. Multiple in a pack wasn't a rare sight either.. Now a single uncommon per 4-5 booster is a win. I totally assume that it can be just my own confirmation bias, the sample size is tiny and it is jut rough approximation, but it definitely feels odd.
As a relatively new player these regular free packs were one of the reasons to stick to the game and were an important source to build somewhat of a playable card base. Well, not anymore since the last update icon_neutral.gif

Comments

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I recently got a new rare from from the free booster, it was
    after the update I think(can't be sure).

HH
  • SpaceDuck
    SpaceDuck Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    ebalnik wrote:
    Has anyone noticed decrease in the drop rate of U/R/M from the free basic boosters since the last update?

Usually I could get at least an uncommon every 1.5-2 packs. Multiple in a pack wasn't a rare sight either.. Now a single uncommon per 4-5 booster is a win. I totally assume that it can be just my own confirmation bias, the sample size is tiny and it is jut rough approximation, but it definitely feels odd.
    As a relatively new player these regular free packs were one of the reasons to stick to the game and were an important source to build somewhat of a playable card base. Well, not anymore since the last update icon_neutral.gif

Purely anecdotal, but I have noticed this too. Also a big spike in the "basic" cards, like Veteran's Sidearm or Elvish Visionary.
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    SpaceDuck wrote:
    Purely anecdotal, but I have noticed this too. Also a big spike in the "basic" cards, like Veteran's Sidearm or Elvish Visionary.

I love getting those cards that nobody could possibly NOT have, because they come with baby Nissa by default.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not enough data to say so with any confidence, but the general feel I have while opening packs is absolutely no change to drop rates at all.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dologan wrote:
    SpaceDuck wrote:

I love getting those cards that nobody could possibly NOT have, because they come with baby Nissa by default.

I pulled a Caustic Caterpillar this morning. Took me by surprise.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nah, I have not noticed any rate change. This morning I opened another copy of Haunted Cloak. I know one coalition member scored a Starfield of Nyx in his basic booster (post update).

There's going to be stretches of poor luck, and usual high luck too.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've also noticed no difference.

With random drops and a large population, there's no doubt that every single week, some significant set of players will see some apparent changes in the kind of cards they are opening. It's normal for human intuition to be bad at judging what's random, but most of the time we can ignore this kind of apparent change because there's no update to point the finger at.

Of course, if that phenomenon suddenly stopped happening right when the new update dropped, and absolutely everyone's short-term pack opening results felt identical to their results pre-update, it would be strong evidence for non-randomness!
  • Whammaster
    Whammaster Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    I pulled one new common 3 times in the same pack, first time I've ever seen a x3 next to a card in the overview.
  • Sharknado
    Sharknado Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I just got two Rare in a single free booster. Both were dupes. One of them I've gotten three times in two months.